Register Now
TheSteelyardDweller

what people get wrong about gamers

I saw some ad the other day where some woman moved out on her boyfriend because he was playing too many video games, and he didn’t see her go because he was using VR.

ad was supposed to be funny, but I thought it was pretty dumb. Do people really still see gamers this way as out of touch of with reality? I thought stereotypes like that were gone.

A lot of people see gamers as immature children that are completely incapable of dealing with real life. There's loads of urban legends, and I think a couple true stories, about parents neglecting their children to the point of the child dying because they were too obsessed with gaming. Those kind of people are the only ones the masses focus on and that's what gives us all a bad image. They completely ignore the things that gaming does that improve peoples lives. Things like decision making, coordination, therapeutic elements, and relaxation just to name a few.

It's a lot like pitbulls. I have been lucky enough to have been around pits my entire life. And I can tell you that they are the sweetest dogs you could ever have the luck to encounter in your life. But they are also popular with dog fighters due to their brute strength. That's all people focus on. And that's why so many places have outlawed pits. The only reason a pit would ever be mean is if it's abused. I know that for a 100% fact. That's why I volunteer with a local pitbull rescue organization that takes in any pit from anywhere in the country to rehabilitate them, and find them good families. And believe me, we do some SERIOUS background checks on the families.

@TheSteelyardDweller

That sounds like that ad actually emphasizes two stereotypes, the second one being that gamers can’t get or keep girlfriends/boyfriends. That’s very strange, considering that “nerd” interests have become trendy of late rather than being “uncool” as they were when I was a child. It’s amazing how long some companies can remain out of the loop.

@The Blackangel

“Things like decision making, coordination, therapeutic elements, and relaxation just to name a few.”

I am starting to wonder how much research has been conducted on some or all of these applications. I should look for some studies.

“That's why I volunteer with a local pitbull rescue organization that takes in any pit from anywhere in the country to rehabilitate them”

Just for this, you score even more points with me :) One of my close friends works with rescues for German Shepherds, so animal rescue has become quite close to my heart.

People think gamer is a lifeless monster living in a basement. I play like 2 hours a day now (I used to play 8 hours a day when was in school). But now I work, have family, bought a house. Life completed. :p

11 hours ago, Bravosi said:

People think gamer is a lifeless monster living in a basement. I play like 2 hours a day now (I used to play 8 hours a day when was in school). But now I work, have family, bought a house. Life completed. :p

Life completed ... trophy acquired =D

13 hours ago, Bravosi said:

I think gamers being lifeless applies in many context. But not for all though. I know people who are like always playing the games on mobile and the PC. On second note, you have trophy unlocked. 

Lots of "normies" criticise gamers for "wasting valuable time on a hobby that does not contribute to a personal development/self improving". This might be true, especially with MMORPG (IMHO), but what they do not realise is that they also waste their valuable time on useless stuff. In my opinion, watching sports is the most useless activity which leads to zero personal development. Yet, millions watch football. Why? Because it's fun and they like it. Well, guess what, uncle Jim, I enjoy games and games are not inferior to watching 22 men in shorts chasing a ball. 

I think normies do have a point though. There are increasing the rehabs for the gamers. If normies were to be wrong all the time, there would be no such thing as rehab for the gamers. But we live in a world where gamers do suffer. 

On 5/22/2019 at 9:59 AM, Moony Burbage said:

Lots of "normies" criticise gamers for "wasting valuable time on a hobby that does not contribute to a personal development/self improving". This might be true, especially with MMORPG (IMHO), but what they do not realise is that they also waste their valuable time on useless stuff. In my opinion, watching sports is the most useless activity which leads to zero personal development. Yet, millions watch football. Why? Because it's fun and they like it. Well, guess what, uncle Jim, I enjoy games and games are not inferior to watching 22 men in shorts chasing a ball. 

That is true that people spend so much time on their preferred hobby, but look down on gamers. While having Thanksgiving, there were some new guests I had to meet, and they all started talking about tv shows they watch. Shows I've never even heard of, and they watch every episode with multiple season they binge watch. I had nothing to contribute to the conversation, and at one point I wanted to reference something in a game I love to play, but held my tongue because I know exactly how they would react. But it's ok for them to spend time doing what they like and talk about it as tv watching is an acceptable waste of time. Truth is I don't even care what they think, but care even less to engage in conversation with them as all I wanted to do was eat. Then they got drunk off wine and started blabbering and blabbering while I felt like a prisoner at the table and the only one sober.