Register Now
Keranov

Another PC for rendering/streaming?

If you are a content creator or a streamer would you prefer to have another PC to do the tasks while recording or streaming?

If I was in this I wouldn't get a second PC until I'm able to do YouTube/Twitch as a full time job.

I agree with you @Keranov. Otherwise, the investment will classify as high risk and you'll make a loss instead of profit. In my opinion, once you start to live of ad revenue and donations from being a YouTuber,  that's when you look into upgrading your equipment such as cameras and PC's. In the meantime while you build up your fan base, there is nothing wrong for using the same PC for rendering and streaming. 

Edited by xXInfectedXx

You think streamers use two separate computers? LOL.

No fam, most ATX motherboards allow for multiple GPUs and the Processors they have meet requirements for high-end streaming sessions. So long as you have a multi-threaded computer with 2 different graphics cards, you can do an AIO setup.

I think it's reasonable to use two computers. Because streaming and gaming affects your device more due to heat. So it's better to have one backup computer just in case if the streaming computer fails. And that way you are in much safe situation. i know that initial 1 year of streaming you are not going to make big money. So you have to be frugal for having those computers later. 

Yes having two PC for streaming and the gaming makes sense. Plus it can be good for having backup too. I think rendering takes more PC power so it needs to be protected and should not be used for the gaming. I'd say recording PC needs to have more power too. I'd definitely think about it in that context. I think people can also use the backup disks like drives with 500GB or so and take backup regularly to save data. 

i personally would buy just one PC that's able to do everything, from gaming to workstation stuff, a Ryzen cpu can do that just fine, thanks to its multiple strong cores, it's kinda bad to keep moving files to a pc to another the whole time

I got a gaming laptop the Scar III asus ROG, but my internet is trash. I will upgrade it from January and try to stream. It is why I got it, and while I was working in Romania everything was good and I was streaming but now....god damn awful internet in Serbia.

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Actually, I used to use my gaming desktop or my gaming laptop for rendering videos as well as regular gaming sessions. The key is to build a machine powerful enough to manage both or buy one.

if the CPU in your gaming rig is fine enough, then there's no point to build another PC for workstation purpose, unless multitasking stuff is your main priority and time costs money for you, then a better CPU is a must :P

It's 2020 and nowdays you can pickup a beast of a system that you can do all in one 🙂 Even at times people and myself can be shocked to what a PC can do, 🙂 You can spend $3000 or more on one single gaming rig or have $1200 streaming PC and $2000 gaming system or less. Keep in mind that having two system setup also means you need more gear, like sounds, mixer and capture card and so on. 

My gaming PC does it all in one and with no proplems, It does it easy. Even doing MSFS2020 and streaming. OBS nowdays does not take or eat allot, improved as time goes on with hardware. I say build a beats of a PC (all in one) and do everything in one 🙂 Cooling! not a proplem get AIO and the best. 

12 hours ago, Patrik said:

if the CPU in your gaming rig is fine enough, then there's no point to build another PC for workstation purpose, unless multitasking stuff is your main priority and time costs money for you, then a better CPU is a must :P

CPU is pointless unless you have the RAM and video processing power to carry out renders. For 1080p videos, the software can use up to 14GB of RAM and 4k videos up 29GB of RAM. Both components have to be powerful enough to carry out the functions or else one will end up bottlenecking the other.

18 hours ago, killamch89 said:

CPU is pointless unless you have the RAM and video processing power to carry out renders. For 1080p videos, the software can use up to 14GB of RAM and 4k videos up 29GB of RAM. Both components have to be powerful enough to carry out the functions or else one will end up bottlenecking the other.

CPU plays a very important role when it comes to previewing your video before releasing it as well, so you can avoid lot of issues (as well as rendering, but that's another thing)