Register Now
Keranov

Gaming on Linux?

There are Linux versions which have support for some games but still Linux isn't a good OS for most type of gaming. Has anyone here ever tried to play video games on Linux? What was the experience like?

I never have tried that because I'm not into Linux. For the gaming part, only 1 of my video games has Linux support.

Edited by Keranov

I haven't dealt with the term much outside of hosting.  It's because WordPress and most forum software probably, uses it.  Anyway, why is it that the gaming community isn't into Linux?

Edited by Jayson

1 hour ago, Jayson said:

Anyway, why is it that the gaming community isn't into Linux?

Most of the games aren't supported for Linux. It's just that the operating system isn't created with that aim. If I get a release of Linux with a good game support I would probably switch to it.

I haven't heard the term much outside of web hosting. This is on the grounds that TapaTalk and most gathering programs presumably, utilizes it. I've never heard of using Linux for Gaming, though is this because there is a only small amount for sale and popular video games aren't compatible?

Edited by xXInfectedXx

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:55 AM, UleTheVee said:

Two words:

Never Again

Why? Did you have a bad experience, could you please elaborate on your bad experience with Linux? One issue that I think of is many windows programs won't run in this OS which means your very restricted, were any other problems that you occurred?

6 hours ago, xXInfectedXx said:

Why? Did you have a bad experience, could you please elaborate on your bad experience with Linux? One issue that I think of is many windows programs won't run in this OS which means your very restricted, were any other problems that you occurred?

Let's say my experience was the worst.

Not only were many games unable to run in that OS. Especially those games I had FUN WITH (not to mention Bloodstained recently gave Linux and Mac users the shaft). But the OS and the fact you have to code a lot to work around. No.

This OS is built for programming matters, Office matters even. Gaming? Fricc off m8.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:20 PM, killamch89 said:

I have never really tried gaming on Linux but from what I can tell, Linux lacks a lot of the integration that Windows has when it comes to drivers for certain graphics cards so I wouldn't consider the notion.

The problem with OS's like Linux is that they are meant for people who want to focus on programming. Nothing more, and nothing less. As such, it never will be built to be centric around something like gaming.

16 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

The problem with OS's like Linux is that they are meant for people who want to focus on programming. Nothing more, and nothing less. As such, it never will be built to be centric around something like gaming.

Great point there and it also lacks a bit of optimization from what I heard so that is definitely a no-go.

Linux is not matured yet. Most of the users on the linux are free users. They don't pay for the games. So the game developers want to get their money out. And so they target the consoles, PC and the mobile users instead. Linux being mostly used by people who can't pay for the stuff, they tend to make the less games for the linux these days.