Register Now
StaceyPowers

WHO now officially lists "gaming disorder" as a disease

8 hours ago, Boblee said:

Some people are addicted to making money right? I'm very sure that you know people have such addiction. What can WHO say on that? Will they label them having money disorder disease? 

That's true. I think the disease is either greed, obsessive compulsive spending disorder, hoarder, or some kind of kleptomaniac. 

This isn't a huge surprise; people can be addicted to anything. Some people get really, really addicted to gaming, and some can just play for leisure. Neither of these have to do with length or amount of games played, which will probably be a misconception if this goes through (similar to alcoholics don't need to necessarily be consuming a lot of alcohol to be considered an alcoholic).

8 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

That's true. I think the disease is either greed, obsessive compulsive spending disorder, hoarder, or some kind of kleptomaniac. 

I can't really wait to see them come out all yapping that shit on official channel all over the world. Silly organization. 

8 hours ago, Empire said:

This isn't a huge surprise; people can be addicted to anything. Some people get really, really addicted to gaming, and some can just play for leisure. Neither of these have to do with length or amount of games played, which will probably be a misconception if this goes through (similar to alcoholics don't need to necessarily be consuming a lot of alcohol to be considered an alcoholic).

Seriously, WHO is completely out of the line by that assessment on listing "gaming disorder" as a disease. Like WTH!! 

Their have been complicated issues with WHO, when it comes to issuing out information. Their definition of 'health' as a state of complete well-being of an individual, mentally, socially, and physically. And excluding the presence of disease, which shows incomplete definition of health to me. Because human health can't abstain totally from illnesses, it lives within us, lol.

So, W.H.O also got this wrong to me. I was addicted in the past with gaming, it didn't mean I was suffering from a terrible disease, it is normal for some persons. Just as @Empire said, some people might love alcohol, take some high level of alcoholic beverages, but doesn't get much drunk, it doesn't mean they're drunkards, that's their normal way of life xD. 

4 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Their have been complicated issues with WHO, when it comes to issuing out information. Their definition of 'health' as a state of complete well-being of an individual, mentally, socially, and physically. And excluding the presence of disease, which shows incomplete definition of health to me. Because human health can't abstain totally from illnesses, it lives within us, lol.

So, W.H.O also got this wrong to me. I was addicted in the past with gaming, it didn't mean I was suffering from a terrible disease, it is normal for some persons. Just as @Empire said, some people might love alcohol, take some high level of alcoholic beverages, but doesn't get much drunk, it doesn't mean they're drunkards, that's their normal way of life xD. 

Sometimes I think that WHO have an agenda that we don't know yet when it comes to how they brand some habit a disease. They are entitled to their own opinion as far as I'm concerned. 

2 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Sometimes I think that WHO have an agenda that we don't know yet when it comes to how they brand some habit a disease. They are entitled to their own opinion as far as I'm concerned. 

I wouldn't doubt their view and definition of diseases and how they describe well-being, because they're licensed and operating based on government directions as health practitioners. 

5 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I wouldn't doubt their view and definition of diseases and how they describe well-being, because they're licensed and operating based on government directions as health practitioners. 

Their opinion is not supreme that it should be accepted without any questions. Not at all, I wouldn't believe everything they say. 

1 hour ago, Boblee said:

Their opinion is not supreme that it should be accepted without any questions. Not at all, I wouldn't believe everything they say. 

In as much as they are professional in their field, it doesn't make everything they say to be final and on that note, they can't make me accept their gaming disorder spat. 

4 hours ago, Boblee said:

xD, I know, but even if I keep disagreeing to what they claim is right, it wouldn't change the fact that, they deviate a little bit from what's expected mostly from them. Because, they're mounted by the government, and they have bodies of expert medical practitioners who knows about health exceptionally, and can defend themselves even if they're wrong. 

9 hours ago, Heatman said:

Instead of for them to work harder and hand in hand with CDC to find a permanent vaccine or cure for coronavirus, they are just busy poking at gamers habit. 

They don't really have anything meaningful to do with their time because if they do, they wouldn't bother much about how gamers play their games. 

51 minutes ago, Boblee said:

They don't really have anything meaningful to do with their time because if they do, they wouldn't bother much about how gamers play their games. 

Although there last situation report on the pandemic of coronavirus shows a huge decline in the number of deaths and infected patients. 

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/weekly-epidemiological-update-on-covid-19---4-may-2022

There is a word called moderation, right? If you do in moderation, everything would be ok. Anything you do beyond moderation can be considered sick. I believe moderate gaming is good for mental health.

On 5/28/2019 at 1:39 PM, skyfire said:

I kind of agree, most of the gamers show mix of aggression and the mellowness at the same time. testosterone level of many gamers have gone down. it affected social skills for some and list goes on. I guess it was meant to be a disease eventually. 

Devoting too much time to gaming can actually affect social skills, I had a conversation with a very addicted gamer some months ago and he said he felt more alive in a video game than in the real world as he could be every version of himself while playing video games and I felt this is a dominant trait for most people addicted to Gaming.

Edited by Clasher