Register Now
StaceyPowers

Best and worst typefaces in gaming

What are your favorite and least favorite typefaces in video games?

I don't know what it's called, but I absolutely despise the typeface featured in the books in Skyrim. It isn’t ugly to look at, and it fits the character of the world, but it is very hard to read, especially at length, which actually deters me from the books unless I am very interested in the subjects.

I wish Skyrim did things like TLOU, where when you look at a book or note, you see it as it exists in the game world, but you can then click again and it will overlay easily legible text. This lets you pick the levels of immersion versus legibility you prefer.

Most of my favorite typefaces are in Bioshock games: https://bioshock.fandom.com/wiki/Fonts

I like Century Gothic with the wider tracking. Andes is beautiful, and I currently have it on my desktop fonts. I’m head over heels for Eccentric as well. Triforce being a Zelda reference intrigued me.

Edited by StaceyPowers

I usually hate those broken fonts which are harder to read. Usually found in those future punk games or say historical or even the scifi type games. I just can't read that font clearly and that's why I hate it. 

My favorite was always the Diablo font. Something about it just clicked with me. Off the top of my head I can't really think of one from gaming that I hate, but there is one that I've always despised. It's that fucking blood font. I can't stand it. It's so stupid. If you're not under 10 years old, then by using it you're only going to make yourself and everyone around you look like an idiot.

My all time favorite font however is Minister 5.

I tend to prefer easy to read typefaces over the fancy ones. I particularly enjoy the fonts used in the Call of Duty series and cyberpunk games. Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the original Deus Ex has some of the most pleasing fonts to me.

Edited by Alyxx