Register Now
skyfire

Selling old Consoles

With an emulator though, unless you are the one porting the game, how do you know you're getting the actual, full game, unchanged? Also what about hidden features that maybe the person who ported it to an emulator didn't know about? For example, the Chris Houlihan room in Zelda A Link To The Past. VERY few people even know of it's mere existence, let alone how to find the fucking thing.

I'll be straight up. I don't know shit about how porting and running an emulator work. No clue how to do any of it. I just know that for me, nostalgia plays a big enough role, that I don't mess with emulators. I play the real thing on the original system, as was initially intended. No shade thrown at those that use emulators. Being a classic gamer, I honestly don't get why you would want to go that route, but to each their own.

Edited by The Blackangel

3 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

With an emulator though, unless you are the one porting the game, how do you know you're getting the actual, full game, unchanged? Also what about hidden features that maybe the person who ported it to an emulator didn't know about? For example, the Chris Houlihan room in Zelda A Link To The Past. VERY few people even know of it's mere existence, let alone how to find the fucking thing.

I'll be straight up. I don't know shit about how porting and running an emulator work. No clue how to do any of it. I just know that for me, nostalgia plays a big enough role, that I don't mess with emulators. I play the real thing on the original system, as was initially intended. No shade thrown at those that use emulators. Being a classic gamer, I honestly don't get why you would want to go that route, but to each their own.

That's the risk you take if you decide to download anything from the web. I won't say where, but back in the day you could download ROMs all over the web. Most of the time you'd get the actual game as it was on the cart. But sometimes you'll find the occasional hack, mod, etc. Usually they are titled as such, but sometimes are not. But the majority of the time, it's the game unchanged. As for the secret in Link to the past, that will be in there too, unless it's changed/modded by the person who posted it. But usually it's the full game. 

Here's the thing I like about emulators though, they play the game exactly as if you were playing it on the console it originated on, and sometimes, even better with tweeks. May not be your thing, but it's an option. I still get that nostalgia hit when I play a retro game on an emulator. For example, I see no difference playing SMB3 on an emulator than I do on an NES. All the hidden areas work like they normally would, it feels exactly the same in every single way. And it pops on a HD screen. Back then we had CRT TVs, and yeah, retro games look awesome on them, but seeing how the game looks in all its intended glory, is quite nice too. And emulators also have options to add screen effects to make it look like you're gaming on a CRT TV.

As for how they port games over, they have devices that can copy the ROM of a cart over to a PC. The ROM is usually just one file, or two maybe, I forget. But when you play a ROM in an emulator, it loads the game up as if it is playing on that console it originated on. 

As for emulators themselves, at least ones for retro games/consoles, there's not much to them. You can download an NES emulator, get your ROM and then load it in the emulator and that's it. You may have to mess with your controller settings in the emulator depending on what controller you have, but other than that, it's a pretty straightforward and simple process. You can even buy USB NES controllers. 

11 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think there are many groups who do that porting and keep the ported formats and the emulator online. some are paid emulators and some are free pirated types if you get me. 

Emulators themselves are totally legal, it's the downloading of ROMs that are iffy. You can legally copy a ROM of a game you own for your own private use, but when you upload the ROM to a site, that's piracy and illegal. Same would be to download ROMs from sites that have them available for download, which is illegal. That's why I tell people if they go that route, it's at their own risk. 

When I was in school a kid showed me an emulator called Nesticles. It's icon was a scrotum with NES on it I think, if you can believe that. I don't know if it exists anymore, but he played SMB3 on it all the time.

Has anyone heard of it? And if so is there any interesting news on it since 1997?

12 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Emulators themselves are totally legal, it's the downloading of ROMs that are iffy. You can legally copy a ROM of a game you own for your own private use, but when you upload the ROM to a site, that's piracy and illegal. Same would be to download ROMs from sites that have them available for download, which is illegal. That's why I tell people if they go that route, it's at their own risk. 

Yes that has been happening for the nintendo for years. And why not, their products were good in past and even today. 

I have not much seen nintendo stuff on instagram and facebook though. I mean ebay is flooded with it. But craiglist, facebook and instagram seems to be not where people sell these days it seems. must be specific to niche selling i support. 

I sold my Xbox 360 because it was just in storage and I wasn't doing much with it. I need to find a way to sell my PlayStation 4 now as well since that's also just in storage and not being used. I just don't trust the services where you have to post it to them really.