Register Now
StaceyPowers

Bioshock 2: What Happened to Delta?

*****SPOILERS BELOW.*****

I finished my first playthrough of Bioshock 2 last night. Amazing game overall, and somewhat under recognized in my opinion.

Some matters did confuse me though, in particular the ending. I don’t understand for sure what killed Delta. In fact, I’m not even sure if Delta died.

My understanding of the situation is that once the bond between Delta and Eleanor was severed, if Delta were left untreated, he would either 1-lapse into a coma, or 2-go insane.

By setting the explosives, I assume Lamb’s goal was to kill Delta on the instant. This would transport him to a Vita Chamber, where he would regenerate. But by then the sub would be on its way to the surface, and Persephone would be sinking into the depths where he’d ultimately die permanently.

Instead, he survived and hung on long enough to reach the surface.

What happened to him then? Did he have a delayed death from his injuries? Or was he slipping into a coma? If the latter, would Eleanor’s act in removing the ADAM have killed him? Or would he have remained comatose?

At that rate, how did Eleanor plan to save him on the surface in the first place? I never was clear on that.

I appreciate any light anyone can shed!

@DylanC In particular, if you have any insights or theories, I'd love to hear them

Edited by StaceyPowers

44 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

*****SPOILERS BELOW.*****

I finished my first playthrough of Bioshock 2 last night. Amazing game overall, and somewhat under recognized in my opinion.

Some matters did confuse me though, in particular the ending. I don’t understand for sure what killed Delta. In fact, I’m not even sure if Delta died.

My understanding of the situation is that once the bond between Delta and Eleanor was severed, if Delta were left untreated, he would either 1-lapse into a coma, or 2-go insane.

By setting the explosives, I assume Lamb’s goal was to kill Delta on the instant. This would transport him to a Vita Chamber, where he would regenerate. But by then the sub would be on its way to the surface, and Persephone would be sinking into the depths where he’d ultimately die permanently.

Instead, he survived and hung on long enough to reach the surface.

What happened to him then? Did he have a delayed death from his injuries? Or was he slipping into a coma? If the latter, would Eleanor’s act in removing the ADAM have killed him? Or would he have remained comatose?

At that rate, how did Eleanor plan to save him on the surface in the first place? I never was clear on that.

I appreciate any light anyone can shed!

@DylanC In particular, if you have any insights or theories, I'd love to hear them

Not played Bioshock 2 in 5+ years! IIRC, I think Delta dies once the bond is severed. I need to replay it. I enjoyed it and I actually believe it’s a pretty underrated game overall. I can remember that you play as the original Big Daddy... it’s been a while! Sorry for not being more helpful! 

Edited by DylanC

22 hours ago, DylanC said:

Not played Bioshock 2 in 5+ years! IIRC, I think Delta dies once the bond is severed. I need to replay it. I enjoyed it and I actually believe it’s a pretty underrated game overall. I can remember that you play as the original Big Daddy... it’s been a while! Sorry for not being more helpful! 

I'm almost positive the severing of the bond results in insanity or coma. In fact, on one of the many occasions near the end that Lamb sends a bunch of splicers to kill Delta, she says "at least you'll escape the legacy of the Big Daddies" or something like that. Although, considering he just wakes up in another Vita Chamber if he dies in the attack, her line makes little sense.

18 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

I'm almost positive the severing of the bond results in insanity or coma. In fact, on one of the many occasions near the end that Lamb sends a bunch of splicers to kill Delta, she says "at least you'll escape the legacy of the Big Daddies" or something like that. Although, considering he just wakes up in another Vita Chamber if he dies in the attack, her line makes little sense.

Yep, I think you’re indeed correct. If the bond is severed then the OG “Subject Delta” Big Daddy does fall into a coma or go mad. Later versions of the Big Daddy were changed, though. If the bond was severed then they’d instead find another Little Sister to protect. 

Edited by DylanC

I got confused as well, as to what I understand he was going into a coma and Eleanor extracted the Adam from him and somehow that extracted his "conscious " as well leaving the big daddy body as an empty shell... it was weird and despite the game having many chances to do so they never fully explained this situation. But technically he is kinda dead and not dead at the same time.

On 2/22/2020 at 7:10 AM, kingpotato said:

I got confused as well, as to what I understand he was going into a coma and Eleanor extracted the Adam from him and somehow that extracted his "conscious " as well leaving the big daddy body as an empty shell... it was weird and despite the game having many chances to do so they never fully explained this situation. But technically he is kinda dead and not dead at the same time.

Yeah, exactly. This whole situation was confusing and left me unsure how to react to it emotionally. Is this ending bittersweet, or is it just sad with respect to Delta? A contrast with the clear, straightforward ending of BioShock 1 (where I got the happy victorious ending when I played).

Now I think about it though, it is yet another way in which the game paved a road of ambiguity for an ambiguous conclusion to Infinite as well (so many connections, despite Levine not working on BioShock 2). Though I felt like more thought and care was put into Infinite’s ambiguous ending, and that the end scene after the credits in that game was a bit of a reference to Schrödinger’s cat and whatnot.

I am hoping that on my next playthrough of BioShock 2, there will be more clarity for me with the ending events. But … probably not =D

17 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Yeah, exactly. This whole situation was confusing and left me unsure how to react to it emotionally. Is this ending bittersweet, or is it just sad with respect to Delta? A contrast with the clear, straightforward ending of BioShock 1 (where I got the happy victorious ending when I played).

Now I think about it though, it is yet another way in which the game paved a road of ambiguity for an ambiguous conclusion to Infinite as well (so many connections, despite Levine not working on BioShock 2). Though I felt like more thought and care was put into Infinite’s ambiguous ending, and that the end scene after the credits in that game was a bit of a reference to Schrödinger’s cat and whatnot.

I am hoping that on my next playthrough of BioShock 2, there will be more clarity for me with the ending events. But … probably not =D

I'm going to try to finish Infinite this week , I didnt know that Levine didnt worked on B2 but its quite noticeable now that I compare B1 to B2

Edited by kingpotato

On 2/26/2020 at 10:06 AM, kingpotato said:

I'm going to try to finish Infinite this week , I didnt know that Levine didnt worked on B2 but its quite noticeable now that I compare B1 to B2

One of the biggest giveaways that he wasn’t working on BioShock 2 is the vending machines. There’s no “Welcome to the CIRCUS of VALUES!” I was amused to find out that is actually Ken Levine’s voice. So, since he wasn’t there in the second game, no vending machine voice. His voice is back for some of the vending machines in Infinite (i.e. “I appreciate a woman who appreciates QUALITY!”)

Anyway, did you finish Infinite? What did you think? And are you playing Burial at Sea? I adored Infinite and could probably write a novel about why, and I loved the ending, as bittersweet and ambiguous as it was. Burial at Sea I have mixed feelings about. It’s definitely worth playing, but I have issues with it.

Edited by StaceyPowers