Register Now
killamch89

Most Interesting Situation Ever Encountered In a Video Game?

Having played many video games over 2 and a half decades, I have come across many interesting situations in a video game but the one that stuck out to me was the Psycho Mantis battle in the original Metal Gear Solid. Mantis was a unique enemy in that he could read your moves so you had to change up the buttons on your controller in order to defeat him. In one of the cutscenes, he proceeds to tell you what games you love to play by reading your memory card. As a child, I was both amazed and creeped out when it was happening and looking back I laugh about it. What are the most interesting scenarios you have ever encountered in a video game?

One thing that has stuck with me for a long time, on God of War 2 at the end of the temples of the fates you encounter a wounded soldier that you later kill because both of you though the other one was an enemy but it turned out to be a Spartan captain that Kratos knew. What I think about this scene the most is that you as Kratos (a demi god) had to endure a long travel and fight a lot of powerful enemies but this Spartan captain had to do so as well since he got the same place as Kratos. Maybe I'm just overthinking it but maybe this unknown spartan was also very strong.

@killamch89 I've read about that, even though I haven't played it, and that would be pretty mind-bending! I can't think of anything close to that in terms of unusual video game situations that I've encountered.

The most interesting situations I ever encountered were all in MUDs (text based MMOs). I would say the weirdest might have been the day I realized that the person I worked for in game had (with my help) done such a thorough job setting up invisible structures of power that I had no way to effectively dismantle them. I really wanted to do so, but the only way I could possibly stop him from continuing to manipulate everyone was to quit the game and hope that he quit too. So that was what I did.

12 hours ago, kingpotato said:

One thing that has stuck with me for a long time, on God of War 2 at the end of the temples of the fates you encounter a wounded soldier that you later kill because both of you though the other one was an enemy but it turned out to be a Spartan captain that Kratos knew. What I think about this scene the most is that you as Kratos (a demi god) had to endure a long travel and fight a lot of powerful enemies but this Spartan captain had to do so as well since he got the same place as Kratos. Maybe I'm just overthinking it but maybe this unknown spartan was also very strong.

I remembered the Spartan Captain but it is still a mystery how he got so strong in the first place. What really caught my attention during that scenario is the anguish Kratos felt for having to kill him.

17 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

@killamch89 I've read about that, even though I haven't played it, and that would be pretty mind-bending! I can't think of anything close to that in terms of unusual video game situations that I've encountered.

The most interesting situations I ever encountered were all in MUDs (text based MMOs). I would say the weirdest might have been the day I realized that the person I worked for in game had (with my help) done such a thorough job setting up invisible structures of power that I had no way to effectively dismantle them. I really wanted to do so, but the only way I could possibly stop him from continuing to manipulate everyone was to quit the game and hope that he quit too. So that was what I did.

Did you find out if he quit as well? You do encounter quite a number of those kinds of people in-game.

25 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I remembered the Spartan Captain but it is still a mystery how he got so strong in the first place. What really caught my attention during that scenario is the anguish Kratos felt for having to kill him.

Did you find out if he quit as well? You do encounter quite a number of those kinds of people in-game.

He stuck around for a while, but played less and less and then eventually stopped. So I count it as a victory. I think I was one of "those kinds of people" myself, but I wanted to undo what I'd contributed to.

13 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

He stuck around for a while, but played less and less and then eventually stopped. So I count it as a victory. I think I was one of "those kinds of people" myself, but I wanted to undo what I'd contributed to.

This sounds like some villain to anti-hero scenario in an anime🤣

11 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Yeah the difference between him and Kratos is that the spartan was trying to save his city and well Kratos was just butthurt because he was trowed off Olympus 😂

22 hours ago, killamch89 said:

This sounds like some villain to anti-hero scenario in an anime🤣

I never saw myself as a villain. It was one of those "road to hell paved in good intentions" scenarios. I really did think I was making the game world a better place all that time :/ That seems like a common theme for plenty of villains though.

3 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I never saw myself as a villain. It was one of those "road to hell paved in good intentions" scenarios. I really did think I was making the game world a better place all that time 😕 That seems like a common theme for plenty of villains though.

The saying " the road to hell is paved with good intentions" comes to mind in this scenario as well. Sometimes you have to take a step back and look at the whole situation from a broader perspective.

On 6/13/2019 at 1:51 PM, killamch89 said:

The saying " the road to hell is paved with good intentions" comes to mind in this scenario as well. Sometimes you have to take a step back and look at the whole situation from a broader perspective.

In my case, I was also young. In some ways, the entire mess was actually how I developed a moral compass. Before that, I am not sure I had much of one. 

On 6/15/2019 at 11:50 AM, StaceyPowers said:

In my case, I was also young. In some ways, the entire mess was actually how I developed a moral compass. Before that, I am not sure I had much of one. 

This sounds like something that belongs in a top 10 anime character development...🤣

Speaking of Anti Hero, I think DMC made that change of Virgil to Nero character and got rid of the Anti vilian part in the game. I mean Virgil was last standing vilian but Anti hero sort of in some context. Though games portrayed him as Evil. I wonder if he could be seen as rival yet not complete bad guy. 

9 hours ago, skyfire said:

Speaking of Anti Hero, I think DMC made that change of Virgil to Nero character and got rid of the Anti vilian part in the game. I mean Virgil was last standing vilian but Anti hero sort of in some context. Though games portrayed him as Evil. I wonder if he could be seen as rival yet not complete bad guy. 

I'm not sure Virgil was ever completely evil - I never got that vibe from him at all. Yes, some of the things he did was cruel but he had legitimate reasons for doing what he did. The only issue I ever had was with his approach to said situations. I think DMC 5 gave Virgil a huge amount of character development.