Register Now
StaceyPowers

How much are you willing to pay for a console?

Really interesting question. Personally, I’d be happy to pay upto £400/$450 for a PS5/XB Scarlett. Any more than that will be difficult for me (though I’d just try and save up before launch as owning a console is pretty important for those - like myself - who work in gaming media). Thankfully, as tech moves forward, parts do fall in price, obviously. But from the sounds of things, next gen is going to pretty expensive...

That depends. Are we talking next gen consoles strictly, or are we talking any console from any generation? If it's next gen, then it depends on all its capabilities. Is it reverse compatible? How far? Is it DVD/Blu-ray/4K DVD?  What are the specs? Will a rerelease have more capabilities (think Xbox One X)? Are there any add-ons that I would have to buy?

Previous generations, it depends on what comes with it. How many games, controllers, cables, memory, etc. If it's a cartridge system, say SNES, is it the first series or second series? Is it complete in box, or just a loose console?

It really varies on SO much.

Edited by The Blackangel

15 hours ago, kingpotato said:

300 dollars is the most I have paid for one and is the most I will pay for a console, maybe a few bucks extra but I prefer to wait until the console gets cheaper.

To be honest, that's a brilliant strategy because the life cycle of brand new consoles nowadays is 5 years or more so you can wait for a sale or its price to depreciate.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:36 PM, kingpotato said:

300 dollars is the most I have paid for one and is the most I will pay for a console, maybe a few bucks extra but I prefer to wait until the console gets cheaper.

That sounds like my general approach. I figure I'll wait maybe a year after PS5 comes out to grab it. I doubt it'll be that cheap by then, but at least the initial high price should come down a bit. And since it is backwards compatible, it's like getting a PS4 at the same time for me, so that will justify the price.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:58 AM, StaceyPowers said:

That sounds like my general approach. I figure I'll wait maybe a year after PS5 comes out to grab it. I doubt it'll be that cheap by then, but at least the initial high price should come down a bit. And since it is backwards compatible, it's like getting a PS4 at the same time for me, so that will justify the price.

If the PS5 is compatible with games from the PS2 up, I'd consider buying it because there were a lot of awesome PS2 and PS3 game that I'd like to play again.

1 hour ago, Alyxx said:

Depends on the console. Personally I prefer buying consoles second hand near the end of their lifespan, so often I end up getting them pretty cheap.

For some reason, I seem to get my hands on most consoles for free being that most of the gamers that I have the closest relationships with are console gamers. At some point, when they are ready to get rid of/got an extra console as a gift, I just happen to be lurking and BAM! A free console.