Register Now
StaceyPowers

Using a console on hot days

It’s been ranging up above 100 degrees F in my home the past few days during the daytime. I have been running my PS3 in the evening and at night. It wasn’t that hot last night—I think it was maybe 75ish indoors, but the console got really hot and noisy.

Anyone have any recommendations or warnings regarding playing on the console on hot days, and what to do with it when it gets loud and hot like that?

17 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I'm currently having the same issue, I just tend to play for about an hour and then let it cool down for half an hour, or you can try putting a fan behind it but thats going to leave it all dusty.

Dust is definitely a drawback to the standing fan method but the only other method I can think of is buying an aftermarket cooler for your console.

The only thing I can think of that hasn’t already been suggested is to get an AC unit. Window units are the cheaper model but if for whatever reason that’s not an option you can get AC units that you can just plug in and stick wherever you want. I personally haven’t seen any that weren’t in the $400-$500 range.

Another idea is to take 4 box fans and put them either on each wall or in each corner blowing into each other all in the same direction. It keeps the air circulating and cools a room off more than most people will realize. If you have a ceiling fan in there as well, that will only help.

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Dust is definitely a drawback to the standing fan method but the only other method I can think of is buying an aftermarket cooler for your console.

I tried those myself and unless you are willing to spend on an expensive one the cheap aftermarkets will not work very well

AC is the only long term and reliable option I can think of. Because in other days it can be possible that you may get overheat and can't use the fan or even use in PC cooling or laptop cooling. In such case AC can be lot more useful. 

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:17 PM, StaceyPowers said:

@kingpotato @killamch89 @The Blackangel Thanks for helpful suggestions. 

Wouldn't having a fan blowing on the console actually reduce dust settling on it, not make more dust settle?

If you keep the fan itself clean, then maybe. But the fan will be picking up dust particles that are floating around in the air, and on items nearby the it will be blowing at your console.

Using a cloth, you can try and gently remove excess dust from the sides of the console. They build up over time and reduce the natural cooling of the console. If you have a hoover, you can gently suck up some of the dust, too. Just be careful doing it. I’ve done it with my ps3 and ps4 and it works well at helping to prolong the life of the hardware.

18 hours ago, TheSteelyardDweller said:

if it gets too hot it is time to stop gaming for a while and wait until the weather cools down a bit maybe. if u can only do so much u can at least take care of your console even if that means taking a break

That is some pretty solid advice and taking a break from gaming at least once per hour is highly recommended - I live in Jamaica and it is absolutely scorching outside. I only go outside in the daytime if I absolutely need to in the summer.

On 7/2/2019 at 7:57 AM, killamch89 said:

That is some pretty solid advice and taking a break from gaming at least once per hour is highly recommended - I live in Jamaica and it is absolutely scorching outside. I only go outside in the daytime if I absolutely need to in the summer.

how hot does it get there