Register Now
StaceyPowers

Fresh experiences in open world game replays?

I’m about to start my third replay of Skyrim. I love the game and I’m not tired of it, but I am having a hard time coming up with ways to keep it fresh. The first time through, I deliberately avoided a number of large quest lines, and then played those the second time through so I would have two very different lives. But now I’ve probably done 95% of the quests in the game at least once.

What are some more ideas for “refreshing” the experience of an open world game you’ve explored so thoroughly?

So far all I’ve come up with is taking a totally different approach to combat and perk distribution. Usually I fight one-handed and use conjuration, so I’m thinking of going pure destruction mage on my next play-through.

I’d love to hear more ideas!

I definitely recommend changing your overall combat style and build.  I had one friend who built a barehanded character, you focus on those skills and get a couple key items and you can go around punching all your foes to death.  I have built characters focused around stealth and archery or heavy two handed guys who just bust in anywhere and wreck, both can be fun approaches.  Also, try taking different sides or approaches to quest lines.  (Might be some slight spoilers past this point) For example if you joined the dark brotherhood before you can destroy them this time, pick a different side of the war, do the blades quest line if you haven't.  You can try to become a thane and landowner in every town if you haven't before.  I do not know if you have the DLCs (if you don't I suggest adding them they add quite a bit of new content) but if you have been a werewolf before you can try being a vampire this time.  Also, certain quest lines have special things at the end if you push for them, like the thieves guild for instance can move to a new location (similar to dark brotherhood) and regain its glory if you do enough missions for them.  Also, you can focus on collections, all the dragon priest masks for instance (there is something you can do with them as well if you haven't), or all the Daedric artifacts (there is usually one or two ppl have missed).  Also, you can look around for articles about the most missed missions or easter eggs, there are usually a couple I haven't done when I look at those and that gives me something to do. 

On 8/27/2018 at 7:27 AM, Joant73 said:

I definitely recommend changing your overall combat style and build.  I had one friend who built a barehanded character, you focus on those skills and get a couple key items and you can go around punching all your foes to death.  I have built characters focused around stealth and archery or heavy two handed guys who just bust in anywhere and wreck, both can be fun approaches.  Also, try taking different sides or approaches to quest lines.  (Might be some slight spoilers past this point) For example if you joined the dark brotherhood before you can destroy them this time, pick a different side of the war, do the blades quest line if you haven't.  You can try to become a thane and landowner in every town if you haven't before.  I do not know if you have the DLCs (if you don't I suggest adding them they add quite a bit of new content) but if you have been a werewolf before you can try being a vampire this time.  Also, certain quest lines have special things at the end if you push for them, like the thieves guild for instance can move to a new location (similar to dark brotherhood) and regain its glory if you do enough missions for them.  Also, you can focus on collections, all the dragon priest masks for instance (there is something you can do with them as well if you haven't), or all the Daedric artifacts (there is usually one or two ppl have missed).  Also, you can look around for articles about the most missed missions or easter eggs, there are usually a couple I haven't done when I look at those and that gives me something to do. 

Nice list, thank you! You can move the thieves' guild to a different location? How does that work?

To move the Thieves Guild you have to focus on those jobs that Vex and Delvin give you in the Ragged Flagon.  I believe you have to complete one of each type of job in each major city around skyrim.  So it can take quite a while as they will often send you to the same city for the same type of job multiple times before they finally send you to that one city you haven't been yet.  But once you do you get a new hideout and the thieves guild master armor. 

A good way freshen up a play through of Skyrim is to try and get the platinum trophy or 100% the achievements. It's a pretty arduous journey (I need to just complete some thieves guild quests and some daedric quests) but it's nice to have a "tangible" reward for your hard work. 🙂