Register Now
Keranov

Overrated games?

I think that everyone has seen a video game which you think it's an overrated game. Which video game do you think is overrated for you?

Personally, I find Fortnite as an example of that. It's just a simple game without much to do in it. I'm not saying that it's bad but I'm saying I'm a not a fan of it.

Edited by Keranov

Hmmmm... I really believe Battle Royale games are overated. Man... They're just one of the same with no impact, no depth and no boundaries. I believe that gaming isn't about grinding the same map with the same gun and the same routes in order to win.

I also think Hearthstone is SUPER overated. I mean yeah it's a good card game but Gwent or Shadowverse are that good too without being "the future of esports". In general, players that don't really play a game but grind it to be the best are the ones that make it super popular. Imo that's bull... hahahha

2 hours ago, Katri Marcell said:

Hmmmm... I really believe Battle Royale games are overated. Man... They're just one of the same with no impact, no depth and no boundaries. I believe that gaming isn't about grinding the same map with the same gun and the same routes in order to win.

I also think Hearthstone is SUPER overated. I mean yeah it's a good card game but Gwent or Shadowverse are that good too without being "the future of esports". In general, players that don't really play a game but grind it to be the best are the ones that make it super popular. Imo that's bull... hahahha

Yep, I completely agree with that. Battle Royale games can be grindy sometimes but Fortnite is a fast-playing game which makes it feel even more grindy. Anyway, I just saw in Steam that there is a new Battle Royale game but underwater. That's something new and I hope it will be a good game.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:40 PM, Keranov said:

Yep, I completely agree with that. Battle Royale games can be grindy sometimes but Fortnite is a fast-playing game which makes it feel even more grindy. Anyway, I just saw in Steam that there is a new Battle Royale game but underwater. That's something new and I hope it will be a good game.

I saw that too 😄 It would be fun to try out if I wasn't terrified of what's underwater in reality hahaahha

The Witcher III

I think the gameplay is outright atrocious. The story might be OK, but I never could get deep into it as the main character is so antipathetic.

GTA series

I like GTA games, but I think they are seriously overrated and overhyped. The gameplay is good, and the open world is implemented well in them, but their characters and stories are boring and flat.

Dragon Age Inquisition

It dazzles people with the hinterlands so that people fail to notice the boring repetitive mmo-like nature of the rest of it. The only usable class in it are the ranged, as close combat fight is useless. You are just chasing enemies around and hitting air if you do a warrior, or rogue with daggers.

Titanfall 2

It's mediocrity in all of it's being. Derivative, but fails to meet the standard of games it copies. A little bit of gears of war, a little bit of mirror's edge, a little bit of mechwarrior, but nothing is fleshed out, it all clashes and cancels each other out instead of complementing each other. And the story is so clichéd it hurt my brain.

Hellblade : Senua's sacrifice

It was an interesting idea but the end result is a sluggish, dragged out and slow game, despite being only 6-7 hours long. The combat is awkward, repetitive. The rest is just a walking simulator with lots of backtracking. And you can take walking literally here because running in this game feels slower than the walk speed in other games.

Doom 2016

It's fun for a moment, but everything looks like plastic in it, the graphics design is awful, and there is nothing to keep me playing. The level design is not that brilliant that it would be enough alone like in the original Doom, and the story is just an excuse, not a reason to play the game. I quickly lost interest in it, and never actually finished it. (and I assume eternal is more of the same)

Dragon Age: Origins

I actually prefer Dragon Age II, sue me. I think this game is very repetitive, all encounters feel the same, and playing the same goddamn ambush for the 1000th time gets old very quickly. The result of encounters is more luck based than skill. The story is completely overshadowed by the clunky mechanics and awkward dialogues.

50 minutes ago, skyfire said:

I never saw DOOM 2016 getting much sales, and in fact till DOOM eternal there was not much hype and barely any profit for them.

If Doom sold badly it wouldn't have gotten a sequel.  Besides Sales != Rating. Where I come from people couldn't stop raving about how brilliant it is, and everyone was waiting for Eternal as the second coming.

BTW Doom 2016 sold 2 million copies on PC in about year, which is not record breaking but clearly good enough to get a second game. And Eternal apparently sold twice as fast during launch week.

Edited by m76

Hmm, most over-rated games. Well, I'd say Madden NFL games. I don't understand why they're so popular. They're one of the most over-rated games out there, and on top of that, they probably don't even update much every year. Another over-rated game, is Destiny 1&2. I never got into the series, and I tried. I was interested when I played the first game beta, pre-ordered it and I remember losing interest really fast. 

You can totally add Call of Duty to the list as well. It's one of the most over-rated franchises out there. Some of the games in the series are great, but a lot of them turn out to be messes. Modern Warfare 2 was a mess with hackers, which made my interest in the game sour. But, I ended up really enjoying Modern Warfare 3. I also really loved the first Black Ops, but the sequels after it, ruined the Black Ops franchise for me. Black Ops 3 is the one I specifically remember hating with a passion. It just didn't feel like Cod anymore at that point. 

On 9/16/2020 at 11:20 AM, The Blackangel said:

Tetris is by far the most overrated game of all time. It's nothing but blocks falling. There is literally nothing else to the game. Just blocks. No point. No purpose.

I agree it's over-rated, but for the time it was something different. That's the big reason it blew up so big. Tetris is an easy to access game for most people. It's easy to get into, but tough to master. But I can understand tetris being over-rated, because it's not as good as it's hyped up to be. 

On 9/13/2020 at 2:34 PM, m76 said:

GTA series

I like GTA games, but I think they are seriously overrated and overhyped. The gameplay is good, and the open world is implemented well in them, but their characters and stories are boring and flat.

Hellblade : Senua's sacrifice

It was an interesting idea but the end result is a sluggish, dragged out and slow game, despite being only 6-7 hours long. The combat is awkward, repetitive. The rest is just a walking simulator with lots of backtracking. And you can take walking literally here because running in this game feels slower than the walk speed in other games.

I agree about the GTA Series, mostly in regards to the stories. I was into the stories for most of the games, but they always seem to blow it near the end. GTA IV's ending was so anticlimactic. I expected the story to revolve around Niko going after the guy who wronged him in Romania or wherever it was. But, SPOILER - you can kill/spare the guy near the middle of the game. The story continues and that always kind of bugged me. I forget what happens after that, it's been so long since I played GTA IV.

I enjoyed GTA V's story for the most part, but those endings were boring. As well, it seemed like the ending was rushed. Just didn't like it. As well, they promised us story DLC for GTA V way before the game was released I believe. And they never delivered on that. I don't care about GTA Online. 

As for Hellblade, I kind of liked the combat, but I agree it was essentially a walking/light power walking simulator with some combat sprinkled in. I didn't get all the rune things, and I had like 3 or 4 I missed through the whole game. I wanted to 100% it, but no way was I going to replay to find just those 3-4 runes. I did kind of like the story though. I hope the sequel that's coming out, upgrades the combat and gets that running speed up. And less of the walking around so much. 

14 hours ago, m76 said:

If Doom sold badly it wouldn't have gotten a sequel.  Besides Sales != Rating. Where I come from people couldn't stop raving about how brilliant it is, and everyone was waiting for Eternal as the second coming.

BTW Doom 2016 sold 2 million copies on PC in about year, which is not record breaking but clearly good enough to get a second game. And Eternal apparently sold twice as fast during launch week.

Pretty much my point. But for the DOOM, sales is not indicator of their sequels. They make the sequels because they can.