Register Now
kingpotato

Are game subscriptions worth it ?

Do you think that game subscriptions are worth it ?  We have options like Xbox Pass, Playstation now and the upcoming Stadia, but are these services worth their investment ?
I dont think they are worth it unless you are a hardcore gamer that plays most of the day.

I used to play Champions Online back in the day which was like $15 dollars per month but what you got the $15 dollars is way more than what you'd get in most games nowadays. It depends on the game and how much content and the quality of the content you getting for that subscription.

On 7/4/2019 at 11:42 AM, skyfire said:

Not sure how many gamers would be paying the money. Some on the youtube and those who are into regular gaming may definitely consider playing those subscription in order to add the content to the channel.

Well, they have to appease their viewers so they'll definitely pay for the subscription but it also depends on the individual Youtuber's taste as well.

I personally think it's a case by case basis.  Currently, I am subscribed to the Xbox Game Pass because the games appealed to me.  I will play through the games that interest me than unsubscribe when I find myself no longer playing them.  The Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is worth it for me as 1) I can often get a $1 deal for both live and game pass and 2) it's not a contract so I can cancel when I want.  I hate that I don't keep the games but if I really want a game, I'll shell out the money for it eventually.  

I have to agree with you @kingpotato. Unless you’re only into online gaming and spend the majority of your time on those games, then I don’t think it’s worth it. But I also have to say that it seems to be the way gaming is going. Everything’s about to be an online purchase with a subscription to something required. No more physical copies of anything. And for those of us that don’t like online gaming, we’re almost required to be classic gamers. That doesn’t bother me, as I’m a classic gamer anyway. But it could be the deal breaker and end of gaming for others

On 7/7/2019 at 9:42 PM, The Blackangel said:

I have to agree with you @kingpotato. Unless you’re only into online gaming and spend the majority of your time on those games, then I don’t think it’s worth it. But I also have to say that it seems to be the way gaming is going. Everything’s about to be an online purchase with a subscription to something required. No more physical copies of anything. And for those of us that don’t like online gaming, we’re almost required to be classic gamers. That doesn’t bother me, as I’m a classic gamer anyway. But it could be the deal breaker and end of gaming for others

True, it appears this is the future now, not to excited about it to be honest.

16 hours ago, skyfire said:

More companies going stream and cloud gaming route is going to affect the normal developers or say indie developer scene. I personally prefer small games for that reason. 

I hope this whole cloud gaming thing fails because if it gains significant momentum it will be very detrimental to us players in terms of game ownership.

9 hours ago, skyfire said:

I don't know man who knows for some people it can save money on the console and devices they don't want to pay for and hold space in home. I am sure they do want to leave those sort of devices. 

The problem is it won't be saving you money over the long term and on top of that, you don't officially own any of the games so it is a very bad deal. I really want it to crash and burn because if this catches on, we the gamers will never be able to own games again.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:24 AM, skyfire said:

Indeed for long term that would be drain in the pocket. I have seen people making the argument of using the cloud based services like this. I think lack of ownership based services have that issue. 

The problem is you are paying Google to "buy" the games for you so if something goes wrong with the stadia network or they shut it down, you won't be bale to access the game anymore and that is a horrible concept.