Register Now
JennyorAlice

PC or laptop for gaming?

I would prefer PC over laptop because it's cheaper to build gaming PC and you can easily modify your system whenever you want to upgrade it. You can have bigger screen means you enjoy gaming much better compare to laptop.

I am a supporter of PC gaming. The plus points of a PC gaming are

1. Budget friendly- A desktop is much cheaper than a laptop with same specifications.
  2. Better experience- In desktop PC you play with a monitor that is much larger than laptop screen. You also get dedicated speakers which are much better than a laptop.
  3. Upgradable parts- The desktop has more opportunities of upgrading than a laptop. You can not upgrade a laptop's processor or GPU.
  4. No issues of power consumption- A desktop is powered directly from a wall socket. So, you don't have to worry about battery running out. But it is the main problem for gaming laptops. After one or two years of usage a gaming laptop will not give more than 4 hours of talk-time (gameplay).
  5. Better cooling- A laptop's overheating is really a big issue for gamers. But the cooling is more effective in desktops. And you will not be bothered by the heat in your CPU.
  6. Extra features- You can add many extra features like intel optane memory, RGB coolers, RGB rams, liquid coolers and fashionable keyboards and mice in desktops. But you can't do this with laptops (except keyboard and mouse).

1 hour ago, Empire said:

I am a supporter of PC gaming. The plus points of a PC gaming are

1. Budget friendly- A desktop is much cheaper than a laptop with same specifications.
  2. Better experience- In desktop PC you play with a monitor that is much larger than laptop screen. You also get dedicated speakers which are much better than a laptop.
  3. Upgradable parts- The desktop has more opportunities of upgrading than a laptop. You can not upgrade a laptop's processor or GPU.
  4. No issues of power consumption- A desktop is powered directly from a wall socket. So, you don't have to worry about battery running out. But it is the main problem for gaming laptops. After one or two years of usage a gaming laptop will not give more than 4 hours of talk-time (gameplay).
  5. Better cooling- A laptop's overheating is really a big issue for gamers. But the cooling is more effective in desktops. And you will not be bothered by the heat in your CPU.
  6. Extra features- You can add many extra features like intel optane memory, RGB coolers, RGB rams, liquid coolers and fashionable keyboards and mice in desktops. But you can't do this with laptops (except keyboard and mouse).

Almost the same response as @Empire.

On 11/23/2020 at 2:44 AM, skyfire said:

Upgrade capacity is something why many people stick with the PC over anything. Even laptops and consoles are not upgradable after specific point. Console are locked in as it is. 

I agree completely. Repairing your own gaming PC is way easier than trying to repair a laptop and even worse - a console. As you said, the ease with which you can upgrade a gaming PC is why most people prefer it (including myself).

I know as we age into 50s or 60s our capacity to upgrade in next 30 years would be difficult but I suppose the next 30 years computers too will change and wont be the classic PC and may move VR or some other tech. lol. I guess gaming will shift from PC, console to something different. 

On 12/7/2020 at 3:40 AM, skyfire said:

I know as we age into 50s or 60s our capacity to upgrade in next 30 years would be difficult but I suppose the next 30 years computers too will change and wont be the classic PC and may move VR or some other tech. lol. I guess gaming will shift from PC, console to something different. 

There's no telling where it will go as bigger PC cases are starting to trend again so it depends on what the consumers want.

Since the new 3000 series are out, they make people buying far bigger cases again to fit those god damn big cards into their system LOL future you can't tell what's what, but the sizes of the cards won't last long and soon be not as big.

On 12/13/2020 at 7:57 AM, Empire said:

Since the new 3000 series are out, they make people buying far bigger cases again to fit those god damn big cards into their system LOL future you can't tell what's what, but the sizes of the cards won't last long and soon be not as big.

I don't know...we used to be trending towards smaller phones until 2015 where we started heading in the opposite direction so they may start making more of those behemoth graphics cards again...