Register Now
The Blackangel

Underground or mainstream?

The title says it all. What do you listen to? With one or two exceptions I listen to underground music exclusively. Bands that I listen to are 6 Feet Under, Arch Enemy, Dimmu Bogir, Cradle Of Filth, Marduk, Deicide, and early Cannibal Corpse to name a few. Just the Chris Barnes years with CC though. I listen to a lot from Psychopathic Recorde and Majic Ninja Entertainment. But I’m dropping my support of Psychopathic due to the bullshit they’ve been pulling since Twiztid left. I always liked Twiztid’s music better anyway.

I skew towards more underground music, personally, so lots of bands I like aren't "mainstream". That said, I do like some mainstream music as well, of course. 

Music I'm listening a lot to atm: Blur, Hot Chip, Ben Folds Five, Radiohead, Neon Neon, Super Furry Animals, Babyshambles, The Libertines, Daft Punk. It's summer so I'm jiving with summery tunes mostly atm. 

Edited by DylanC

I used to love mainstream music up to a decade ago but like @DylanC I have shifted more towards underground music since. My favorite underground artists include Mos Def, Dave East and Kurupt - they are very talented rappers capable of painting vivid pictures with lyrics and they cover a lot more topics in their music besides the usual (sex, money and drugs)

15 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Have you ever checked out Tech N9ne? He’s a rapper out of KC, and is extremely good. He doesn’t go the stereotypical route with his music either. 

Tech N9ne's style is pretty unique and I do love some of his songs - he also has some great collabs with artistes like Logic and Eminem.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Tech N9ne's style is pretty unique and I do love some of his songs - he also has some great collabs with artistes like Logic and Eminem.

You should check out his work with Twiztid. Now there’s a hell of an awesome collaboration.

5 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

You should check out his work with Twiztid. Now there’s a hell of an awesome collaboration.

I have heard the "Bury them all" song with both of them as well as "need some help" - both very good collaborations.

I think I'm the only mainstream listener here 😆 I do enjoy the songs a few underground rock bands but I mostly listen to mainstream regardless of the genre, guess I dont spent that much time looking for new underground bands.

11 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I think I'm the only mainstream listener here 😆 I do enjoy the songs a few underground rock bands but I mostly listen to mainstream regardless of the genre, guess I dont spent that much time looking for new underground bands.

I do not look for underground artists - at least not actively. I just happen to come across their music along the way. I do listen to a bit of mainstream music every now and then but the music tends to lack creativity, passion and is just promoting the typical stereotypes like sex,money and drug usage.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

I do not look for underground artists - at least not actively. I just happen to come across their music along the way. I do listen to a bit of mainstream music every now and then but the music tends to lack creativity, passion and is just promoting the typical stereotypes like sex,money and drug usage.

Just so we are clear, what are we refering to as mainstream here? Because none of the songs that I consider mainstream ever talk about sex money or drugs

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Just so we are clear, what are we refering to as mainstream here? Because none of the songs that I consider mainstream ever talk about sex money or drugs

The popular artiste that you see on tv or the media is always discussing.

10 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Mainstream music is just the same thing puked up over and over again. There’s no individuality. The aim is to make money, not art. If it’s just another break up song, there’s nothing to it. If your song doesn’t have a story to tell, then it’s not worthy of being recorded. That’s why I stick to underground virtually exclusively.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

Mainstream music is just the same thing puked up over and over again. There’s no individuality. The aim is to make money, not art. If it’s just another break up song, there’s nothing to it. If your song doesn’t have a story to tell, then it’s not worthy of being recorded. That’s why I stick to underground virtually exclusively.

Then by the logic of mainstream being whats on TV or the Radio most of the time, are we saying that Metallica or Guns and roses are puke as well ?

I get your point, but I think that when you guys think about mainstream you think about the popular Pop or Hip Hop artists, if we go by your definition of Mainstream music:  Classic Rock bands are also under the same category, therefore I think we should be more specific when we refer to Mainstream bands. songs , artist etc.