Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games You Like That Everyone Else Hated?

Having only recently obtained a PS3 and rejoined the gaming world after a long time away, I can't actually give an answer to this question myself. But I'm curious--someone posted asking about games that are overrated. What about games that are massively underrated? Are there any games out there which got panned by reviewers, but which you love?

I don't if this completely counts as the game was pretty rough upon initial release, but I thought Mass Effect: Andromeda was better than public perception would have you believe.  I got the benefit of playing it awhile after release so I didn't face any of the game breaking bugs that others did.  But the other complaints against the game I thought were fueled by peoples nostalgia for the original trilogy and wanting more of the same whereas Bioware tried to bring a fresh start to series.  I thought the overall game play was fun and engaging and the overall feel of the game was still solid.  I really enjoyed exploring a new galaxy, meeting aliens, and building relationships with your team.  I had a lot of fun playing that game despite all the negativity surrounding it. 

No Mans Sky for sure. I loved the game since the day it got announced. I was waiting till release day to buy it but I was actually on a trip in Serbia during that time and had no connection to the internetz. When I came back I heard everyone raging about how awful it was and what a liar Hello Games is.

I bought the game nonetheless, I literally left my bones and soul playing it on my PC and now I'm thinking about buying a console and get it as my first game for it. My dream was get a big TV, a good console, pizza beer and No Mans Sky 😄

2 hours ago, Katri Marcell said:

No Mans Sky for sure. I loved the game since the day it got announced. I was waiting till release day to buy it but I was actually on a trip in Serbia during that time and had no connection to the internetz. When I came back I heard everyone raging about how awful it was and what a liar Hello Games is.

I bought the game nonetheless, I literally left my bones and soul playing it on my PC and now I'm thinking about buying a console and get it as my first game for it. My dream was get a big TV, a good console, pizza beer and No Mans Sky 😄

Totally agree, I loved No Mans Sky the first time around and put mad hours into it.  I haven't picked it back up since all the updates but its on the list for sure.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:36 PM, Joant73 said:

Totally agree, I loved No Mans Sky the first time around and put mad hours into it.  I haven't picked it back up since all the updates but its on the list for sure.

You sure have to grab that. It's an amazing game to relax and reflect on your life for a bit 😄 I can't seriously believe some people hating on it for not being multiplayer. It's the ultimate loneliness simulator!

Aliens Vs Predator (2010)! Soo underrated. After Colonial Marines came out, it retroactively made Rebellion's AvP look like a full on masterpiece!

Also, Silent Hill: Homecoming. No where near as bad as most people make it out to be.

Edited by DylanC

1 hour ago, Aimee Hart said:

I'll jump on the Mass Effect Andromeda bandwagon. That game doesn't deserve HALF the hate it gets. Actually think it's better than ME1 by a long shot.

I've played the first couple of hours of Mass Effect Andromeda and I've enjoyed my time with it so far. Need to get back to it, but it just requires a lot of time to invest in it. Never got round to playing the first ME, though. 

Uh a though one since I don't usually go by reviews, but two come to my mind, one is Deadpool, and I think they hated it because it was too short, but it was extremely fun in my opinion. Anyone who knows Deadpool knows it's gonna be a joke at every corner, and that makes it special, but I don't think the devs could make it longer without getting old with the jokes.

And second one is Dynasty Warriors, can't remember if 7 or 8, but I heard that it was negatively rated, but I loved it!

So yeah those are the two I know of, since I am not sure how smite is rated by the critics I won't really mention it, but I also think it isn't favored by the critics.

On 8/27/2018 at 11:15 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Having only recently obtained a PS3 and rejoined the gaming world after a long time away, I can't actually give an answer to this question myself. But I'm curious--someone posted asking about games that are overrated. What about games that are massively underrated? Are there any games out there which got panned by reviewers, but which you love?

There's no way to know if someone hated the game I liked to play. In fact, it's not possible for everyone to hate a particular game another person likes to play.