Register Now
The Blackangel

Previous entry dumped?

This is coming from the eyes of a classic gamer so bear with me.

I see a lot of people talking about a specific game here and there. For example all over the forum everyone is raving about Skyrim. Yet I think I have only once seen a mention of Oblivion. Also I have seen a lot of discussion of FF14. Yet never have I seen a single mention of FF13. Are the previous entries of a game series immediately dumped and forgotten when a new entry comes out? I understand that some will have new features, better technology, and a possibly more gripping story. But to just dump the previous one doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. When the next Elder Scrolls hits the shelves (assuming for argument one hasn't already) is everyone going to dump Skyrim and stick it in the back of their closet? It's the same with other franchises like Assassins Creed, GTA, COD, GOW, and so on. Personally I stick with games I like, and whether a new one comes out or not is irrelevant.

I'm just really curious to hear some different answers and reasons.

Well for me this issue applies on a few specific games, for example for games like Assassins creed, GTA, COD or GOW I really like the first games as much as the the newest ones, but for Oblivion yes I totally neglected this game in favor of Skyrim since Skyrim is in all senses a better game, the same thing with the first trilogy of Resident evil I know they are consider classics but I hate the tank movement controls, and because of that I never liked the Resident evil franchise until Resident evil 4 came along.
So for me it really depends on how good where the old entries of the franchise.

I’ll admit I picked up FF13, and immediately thought it was god awful. But there’s games like that, which ended up becoming some of the most loved games in a series or in general. 

Hell, I was lost with FF8 when I first started playing it because I didn’t have a damn clue what the hell I was supposed to do. Look where that one is for me now.

Edited by The Blackangel