Register Now
StaceyPowers

If you could map controls in every game …

I’ve noticed that there are some controls which are usually pretty consistent from game to game, but other button choices seem utterly bizarre to me. Like for example, “triangle” as the jump key is usually what I expect, but some games have it as “X,” which is just plain weird to me since I think of that as the “use” key.

It got me wondering, if you could configure buttons for every game you play, what would your default setup be?

I would probably go with the controls that are in Skyrim, more or less.

I think I have it backwards, The X or the A green (playstation & Xbox) seem like the perfect option to jump for me, well this is mostly because this is the jumping key in Halo and I got very used to this. The one thing I do find bizarre is that on GTA V the reload key is Circle or B red , that feels super weird when reloading, normally if I was reloading it was with square on PS or X on Xbox or even one of the upper R or L keys.

The games I play always had the bottom button as a jump button. X on a PlayStation controller, B on a SNES controller, down C on an N64 controller and so on. I got used quickly to that being the jump button so my thumbs go instinctively down there for the jump.

I just use whatever settings they have as the default button configuration - I prefer to go this route because if I were to compete with another player in any kind of competition, I'd have to use the default button configuration so it makes sense for me to get comfortable with using the default controls.

The only games I intentionally change controls on is fighting games. Keep in mind that I’ve mostly played them on SNES. I would move the strongest punch and kick to the B and X buttons, and move the weakest to L and R. Other than that I leave controls as they are at default.

Edited by The Blackangel

@kingpotato @The Blackangel I think I like the triangle as the jump key both because it was the first one I got used to, and because it's on top, so my brain goes, "Jump = go up = key that is located upward in the direction I want to go." And it is a triangle, which feels like a vector pointing up ... so it just feels logical to me.

On 7/31/2019 at 2:32 PM, StaceyPowers said:

@kingpotato @The Blackangel I think I like the triangle as the jump key both because it was the first one I got used to, and because it's on top, so my brain goes, "Jump = go up = key that is located upward in the direction I want to go." And it is a triangle, which feels like a vector pointing up ... so it just feels logical to me.

Makes sense, I remember one time after many days of playing Skyrim I went on to play Apex Legends and my dumbass brain hit the triangle instead of the X so I switched weapons instead of jumping while trying to jump over a building, needless to say I bump into the building and the guy who was chasing me killed me. That doesnt sound that bad but in my mind I was about to do some Parkour shit to kill the other guy and instead I just looked like a dumbass while getting shot.

On 8/7/2019 at 1:25 AM, kingpotato said:

Makes sense, I remember one time after many days of playing Skyrim I went on to play Apex Legends and my dumbass brain hit the triangle instead of the X so I switched weapons instead of jumping while trying to jump over a building, needless to say I bump into the building and the guy who was chasing me killed me. That doesnt sound that bad but in my mind I was about to do some Parkour shit to kill the other guy and instead I just looked like a dumbass while getting shot.

Oh yeah, in a mulitplayer game that'd be terrible.  One more reason for me to mainly stick with single player games, lol. Because I mix up controls constantly between games.