Register Now
killamch89

Most Overhyped Games Ever

For me Watch Dogs and The Division were both games that were overhyped to the point of insanity pre-release but when I got both games, they were massively underwhelming to say the least. All the talk of Watch Dogs being far better than GTA turned out to be completely false. It wasn't half as good as any of the GTA games. In your opinion, what are some ridiculously overhyped games you know of or have played?

I would say Twilight Princess. Granted, the graphics were beautiful, and the game had its moments. But the story left so much to be desired. The trailers and articles before release were hyping it up to be the greatest thing since the wheel. But as far as storyline and gameplay go, it just fell flat.

Edited by The Blackangel

5 hours ago, skyfire said:

The division, days gone, Apex Legends etc. Turned out to be overhyped and the reviews for them were also poor. But after playing them I realized why it was the case. 

I've never bought into the hype of Apex Legends (it's an EA game after all so I'm wary of trying it in the first place) and Days Gone is a massive disappointment as well because there were quite a few glitches and animation bugs. The gameplay also started to get really repetitive - As for the division, it was one hot mess!

12 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I will say Watch Dogs most disappointing game ever, with Days gone well I had my doubts to be honest but then again the game was just average and not worth a full price.

I was very disappointed with Watch Dogs because they made it out to be the second coming of Christ. Seriously, if you searched for Youtube videos on Watch Dogs pre-release they made it sound like it would make GTA completely obsolete. Instead we got stuck with an average game with repetitive gameplay.

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I was very disappointed with Watch Dogs because they made it out to be the second coming of Christ. Seriously, if you searched for Youtube videos on Watch Dogs pre-release they made it sound like it would make GTA completely obsolete. Instead we got stuck with an average game with repetitive gameplay.

Yep, thats pretty much what happened.

48 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Yep, thats pretty much what happened.

I remember asking myself "This is it?! A crappier version of Saints Row and GTA mixed with some deus ex hacking mechanics! I feel suing them for false advertising - This is shit!"

On 7/23/2019 at 5:37 AM, killamch89 said:

I've never bought into the hype of Apex Legends (it's an EA game after all so I'm wary of trying it in the first place) and Days Gone is a massive disappointment as well because there were quite a few glitches and animation bugs. The gameplay also started to get really repetitive - As for the division, it was one hot mess!

Yes totally agree on the days gone analysis. I also think metro exodus was pretty bad but then again other games were not good in metro series. 

5 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yes totally agree on the days gone analysis. I also think metro exodus was pretty bad but then again other games were not good in metro series. 

I tried Metro Exodus at a friends house and it was an average game - I mean, the graphics are amazing but I do agree that the game is lacking a lot of things especially in the content department. With all the fuss about them moving the game to the epic gamestore - I for one am glad they did that because the hype was totally unwarranted.

On 7/27/2019 at 2:20 PM, skyfire said:

Yes it was kind of average game to be honest. 

Another thing about the hype is one game which is in development for years, named "Residence of Evil" that can be pretty but it's hyped and not even releasing. 

There's also star citizens which is a planet-travelling game where you can fight other players all over the universe. The problem is that the game has been in development for close to 6 years and shows no signs of being released anytime soon.

On 8/2/2019 at 4:46 AM, DylanC said:

No Man’s Sky is easily one of the most overhyped games I’ve played. The devs turned the game around over time, but still. That one sticks out in my mind.

I don't really understand the appeal of that game either - I mean it has pretty good graphics but what is so special about the game? Travelling form planet to planet? I know at least 20 other games that do the same thing so what's the big deal?