Register Now
StaceyPowers

Can I play FTL on my laptop?

I’m trying to figure out if I can play FTL on my laptop since I don’t have a proper video card. Here are my computer specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron, 1700 MHz

Video adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 (1839246 KB) up to 1684 mb dynamic memory

Physical memory: 3976 MB

I feel like it is probably an iffy prospect, but maybe still viable.

@DylanC I figure if anyone has a good guess at this, it might be you. 

On 7/25/2019 at 8:43 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I’m trying to figure out if I can play FTL on my laptop since I don’t have a proper video card. Here are my computer specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron, 1700 MHz

Video adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 (1839246 KB) up to 1684 mb dynamic memory

Physical memory: 3976 MB

I feel like it is probably an iffy prospect, but maybe still viable.

@DylanC I figure if anyone has a good guess at this, it might be you. 

Great to hear that you're thinking of picking up FTL -- it's so freakin' awesome! If I had to guess, those specs should be able to run FTL. My friend plays it on a really low spec laptop and it works fine. It's a pretty lo-fi indie game so it should run ok on those specs, but I can't promise anything. Don't use PCs that much these days. Hope that helps!

8 hours ago, DylanC said:

Great to hear that you're thinking of picking up FTL -- it's so freakin' awesome! If I had to guess, those specs should be able to run FTL. My friend plays it on a really low spec laptop and it works fine. It's a pretty lo-fi indie game so it should run ok on those specs, but I can't promise anything. Don't use PCs that much these days. Hope that helps!

Awesome, thanks! You're the second person who thinks it'll work, so that's encouraging :)

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

You can google the requirements of FTL and see if your computer specs meet the minimum requirements. If it does then the game should run smoothly on your laptop.

When  I looked up the specs, the answer I was getting was a "maybe." Thus why I figured I'd ask if anyone had real life experience with playing it on a low spec laptop :)

47 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

When  I looked up the specs, the answer I was getting was a "maybe." Thus why I figured I'd ask if anyone had real life experience with playing it on a low spec laptop 🙂

Okay - no problem. Did you try it out yet though? If you did, did your laptop start to overheat?

On 8/4/2019 at 12:57 PM, StaceyPowers said:

No, I didn't even know about them. Looks quite useful!

It is very useful for doing intensive tasks with your laptop - It prevents it from overheating thus allowing your laptop to perform without the CPU throttling and your PC shutting down. They're like $15 - $20 so I'd suggest you invest in one.

On 8/5/2019 at 1:19 PM, killamch89 said:

It is very useful for doing intensive tasks with your laptop - It prevents it from overheating thus allowing your laptop to perform without the CPU throttling and your PC shutting down. They're like $15 - $20 so I'd suggest you invest in one.

I think I will grab one of those. It can get really hot in the room where I work because of where my window is positioned. I'm sure my laptop would appreciate the cooling pad whether I'm gaming on it or not. Are there any in particular you recommend, or are they all about the same?

18 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I think I will grab one of those. It can get really hot in the room where I work because of where my window is positioned. I'm sure my laptop would appreciate the cooling pad whether I'm gaming on it or not. Are there any in particular you recommend, or are they all about the same?

This is the one I currently have at home:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-17-Gaming-Notebook-Laptop-Cooling-Pad-Stand-Cooler-Chill-Mat-5-Big-Fan-HT/264361577677?hash=item3d8d2d8ccd%3Ag%3AY8EAAOSw38JdK9Yv&LH_ItemCondition=1000

On 8/7/2019 at 8:48 AM, killamch89 said:

Thanks! I like that it can also raise the keyboard/screen.