Register Now
StaceyPowers

What open world game made the biggest advances over its predecessors?

I just started playing Oblivion. I am enjoying it so far, but it is the only other Elder Scrolls game I have played outside of Skyrim. And I can’t help but notice how many areas Skyrim advanced in significantly over Oblivion.

But that has made me wonder in how many ways Oblivion pushed the envelope back when it was released. And then I wondered if Skyrim advanced more over Oblivion, or if Oblivion advanced more over its predecessor (Morrowind).

For those who have played many open world games, especially sequentially in series, what open world game do you think made the most significant advances over preceding games in the same series and in other series at around the same timeframe?

I mean in terms of graphics, gameplay mechanics, character writing and animation, menu design, etc. Anything and everything you can think of.

I'd say GTA V made a significant leap forward from GTA IV in terms of everything - gameplay mechanics, storytelling(by a bit but still an improvement), graphics, world space and activities to do in-game. I only wish they had kept the body training mechanics of GTA San Andreas so that the character could get stronger and faster through physical training.

On 8/3/2019 at 4:05 PM, killamch89 said:

I'd say GTA V made a significant leap forward from GTA IV in terms of everything - gameplay mechanics, storytelling(by a bit but still an improvement), graphics, world space and activities to do in-game. I only wish they had kept the body training mechanics of GTA San Andreas so that the character could get stronger and faster through physical training.

I agree with that, every GTA game has its charm, but every new one is better than the previous, and obviously GTA 5 is the best out of all. 

6 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

@DylanC @kingpotato Wondering if you have any input on this topic 🙂

@killamch89 I always wonder what makes developers drop features from previous games that actually were pretty great. 

Regarding Elder Scrolls I have only played Skyrim and to be honest I dont intend to play any of the older games for the same reason, because Skyrim is the one with the most updated mechanics. And as in sequels of Open worlds I'm afraid I havent played any sequel, now that I think about it (aside from GTA) I have only  played one of each open world game. But one thing is for sure, at least my opinion is that every sequel is better.
-Fallout = New vegas
-RDR = 1st game only
-Assassins creed = Black flag (I really dont consider the previous games as open world)
-Borderlands = 2nd game only
-Far Cry = none
-Saints Row = 3rd game only
-Watch dogs = 1st game only

18 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

@DylanC @kingpotato Wondering if you have any input on this topic 🙂

@killamch89 I always wonder what makes developers drop features from previous games that actually were pretty great. 

I'm not sure why either. Coding games is pretty difficult so it could be that with the addition of the new features in GTA V, the player progression system wasn't compatible?...(I'm not sure but it could be a possibility)

On 8/6/2019 at 9:26 PM, kingpotato said:

I agree with that, every GTA game has its charm, but every new one is better than the previous, and obviously GTA 5 is the best out of all. 

Regarding Elder Scrolls I have only played Skyrim and to be honest I dont intend to play any of the older games for the same reason, because Skyrim is the one with the most updated mechanics. And as in sequels of Open worlds I'm afraid I havent played any sequel, now that I think about it (aside from GTA) I have only  played one of each open world game. But one thing is for sure, at least my opinion is that every sequel is better.
-Fallout = New vegas
-RDR = 1st game only
-Assassins creed = Black flag (I really dont consider the previous games as open world)
-Borderlands = 2nd game only
-Far Cry = none
-Saints Row = 3rd game only
-Watch dogs = 1st game only

How would you order all you've played from best to worst?

On 8/7/2019 at 8:40 AM, killamch89 said:

I'm not sure why either. Coding games is pretty difficult so it could be that with the addition of the new features in GTA V, the player progression system wasn't compatible?...(I'm not sure but it could be a possibility)

I hadn't thought of that--that new features might render some old ones incompatible, so they get sacrificed. 

Oblivion was super mind-blowing at the time of its release -- so ahead of its time. Playing it back in 2006 on Xbox 360 was an unforgettable gaming moment for me. Being able to go anywhere, interact with all the different NPCs and walk into these giant cities - all of which had different architecture and designs - was incredible.

I think Skyrim made some progress over Oblivion - mainly dungeon design was more streamlined and convenient to get out of compared with Oblivion, for sure. That said, I always liked the fact that in Oblivion, you can change spells on the fly without stopping the gameplay. In Skyrim, you have to pause the gameplay every time you wanna change spells which was a step back in immersion for me. Both incredible games, though, and some of Bethesda's finest titles so far.

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I hadn't thought of that--that new features might render some old ones incompatible, so they get sacrificed. 

From what I learned recently, it is something that is quite a prevalent problem in game development and sometimes, the only way to correct this issue is to start form scratch and that may bring about brand new problems as well.

On 8/8/2019 at 12:11 PM, DylanC said:

Oblivion was super mind-blowing at the time of its release -- so ahead of its time. Playing it back in 2006 on Xbox 360 was an unforgettable gaming moment for me. Being able to go anywhere, interact with all the different NPCs and walk into these giant cities - all of which had different architecture and designs - was incredible.

I think Skyrim made some progress over Oblivion - mainly dungeon design was more streamlined and convenient to get out of compared with Oblivion, for sure. That said, I always liked the fact that in Oblivion, you can change spells on the fly without stopping the gameplay. In Skyrim, you have to pause the gameplay every time you wanna change spells which was a step back in immersion for me. Both incredible games, though, and some of Bethesda's finest titles so far.

Wasn't Morrowind an open world game too? 

I agree that Skyrim's dungeons do seem more streamlined--and I find the menus likewise. 

I didn't know you can change spells on the fly in Oblivion. How do you do that? I have been opening the menu each time.

6 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

Wasn't Morrowind an open world game too? 

I agree that Skyrim's dungeons do seem more streamlined--and I find the menus likewise. 

I didn't know you can change spells on the fly in Oblivion. How do you do that? I have been opening the menu each time.

Indeed, Morrowind is an open world game but it didn’t run great on console IIRC. Oblivion ran very smoothly and is arguably the first open world PC RPG to really resonate with console players. 

Personally, I’d love Bethesda to re-release an updated version of Morrowind, but I doubt it’ll happen.

Just hold down the directional keys (you can hotkey stuff to them) and you’ll be able to change weapons/spells on the fly in Oblivion.

3 minutes ago, DylanC said:

Indeed, Morrowind is an open world game but it didn’t run great on console IIRC. Oblivion ran very smoothly and is arguably the first open world PC RPG to really resonate with console players. 

Personally, I’d love Bethesda to re-release an updated version of Morrowind, but I doubt it’ll happen.

Just hold down the directional keys (you can hotkey stuff to them) and you’ll be able to change weapons/spells on the fly in Oblivion.

Oh, it is the hotkeying I can't figure out! For some reason nothing will map. I have no idea what I'm pressing wrong, but I'm on PS3, so you probably can't help there.

Just now, StaceyPowers said:

Oh, it is the hotkeying I can't figure out! For some reason nothing will map. I have no idea what I'm pressing wrong, but I'm on PS3, so you probably can't help there.

I’ve played it extensively on both PS3 and Xbox 360 and it worked the same on both IIRC. 🤔 Weird. Just look it up online, I guess. It shouldn’t be too tricky and it makes the game way more immersive.

On 8/8/2019 at 10:57 AM, StaceyPowers said:

Of all the openworld Games I've played. (I just got the Witcher 3 yesterday and I havent played it as of yet)I might be missing a few
-Skyrim
-GTA V/San Andreas
-Horizon Zero Dawn
-Spiderman ps4
-Batman Arkham city
-GTA 4
-Read Dead Redemption
-GTA Vice city/ GTA 3
-Fallout New Vegas
-Borderlands 2
--Assassins creed 4 Black Flag
-Lego Marvel Super heroes (it was actually fun xD)
-Burnout Paradise/Need for speed Underground 2/ Midnight club 3
-Xenoblade Chronicles
-Bully
-DON’T STARVE
-Saints Row 3
-Watch dogs

Remember I'm a classic gamer here people.

I would say the biggest advance would be Zelda OoT after Link To The Past. Link To The Past was so small and confined. Then OoT comes out, and it's enormous. Especially the dungeons. And there are so many tricks and hidden treats you can find through out the game. It was the first one with a horse you can ride, it introduced gold skulltulas, gorons, gerudos, friendly zoras, and a whole cast of new items. And above all else it introduced THAT MOTHERFUCKING OWL. Damn you Shigeru Miyamoto!