Register Now
kingpotato

Are games still cryptic?

Nowdays videogames are very self explanatory and even some puzzles are easy or even if they are hard they do have a logical path to follow. But back in the days of NES and SNES many secrets, paths and puzzles where a complete mistery because there was no damn clue as to what to do. I thought those times where over but I was just recently playing Zelda Skyward sword and one of the puzzles involved blowing up a fake wall, the problem was that this wall was no different from the others, I doubled checked every single wall and at the end I had to bom every damn corner until I actually found it.

Any ways, are games still Cryptic nowdays? Have you ever encounter a cryptic secret in a game recently?

It's been a long time since I've come across a truly cryptic game. Even in the PS3/Xbox360 era, they were few and far between. There were bosses here and there that had specific patterns and whatnot that you had to follow to beat them. In God Of War (Chains Of Olympus I think) when you fight Charon, you have to follow a specific battle plan. And often if you don't have a players guide, you're screwed. Then there's Zelda: Oracle Of Ages. How are you supposed to learn how to beat the mini boss in dungeon 4? Its shield is indestructible, so you can't land a hit. You have to let him destroy his own shield, which takes careful maneuvering. Yeah, I knew that going in the first time. Note the sarcasm.

FF8 had a lot of cryptic parts. Summoning Doomtrain for example. Even if you find the Solomon ring, you would have to have all issues of Occult Fan magazine before you would have the slightest clue what the ring did, on your first time through. Enter players guide. That's what it took for me to figure out what the fucking thing was for the first time I got it.

Edited by The Blackangel
Somehow this posted before I was done.

I find the Dark Souls series to be one of the few games to be really cryptic these days. It may not be clear what the Items you pick up do, or where you actually need to go as there's no map. Still, I actually think it's one of the positive draws to the franchise, as it means that I need to experiment and learn about the game, if that makes sense.

The most cryptic game I have ever played was Riven. I was completely bombed within the first couple minutes of playing it. I didn’t know what kind of game it was, going in. I just liked the graphics. Then I found out that it’s just the type of game that is way out of my league. Kudos to those that can get that kind of game. I just don’t have ability in that area.

On 8/9/2019 at 4:41 AM, DylanC said:

I find the Dark Souls series to be one of the few games to be really cryptic these days. It may not be clear what the Items you pick up do, or where you actually need to go as there's no map. Still, I actually think it's one of the positive draws to the franchise, as it means that I need to experiment and learn about the game, if that makes sense.

I totally agree with you there - Dark Souls has so many hidden missions, items and rewards which you may miss several times over before you discover them. Most games nowadays don't really take any brainpower to play, everything is so easy to access which makes these games boring and you end up losing interest in them within a few weeks to a month.

2 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I totally agree with you there - Dark Souls has so many hidden missions, items and rewards which you may miss several times over before you discover them. Most games nowadays don't really take any brainpower to play, everything is so easy to access which makes these games boring and you end up losing interest in them within a few weeks to a month.

Totally agree 100%! There are even optional bosses, man. The cryptic nature really adds to Dark Souls imho.

I feel most games nowadays are fairly self-explanitory or communicate stuff really well to the player. It's not like in the old days where a cryptic secret was necessary to progress the game. Sure some games do it but it's usually not the norm.