Register Now
StaceyPowers

Cooling pads for consoles

@killamch89 was telling me about laptop cooling pads, and it got me wondering, does anyone know if there are cooling pads for consoles, or if one can just use a laptop cooling pad for a console?

We've talked in the past on another thread about ideas for keeping consoles cool on hot days, but I don't think anyone brought this idea up.

Seriously, I never use them - or specialty fans - and never have a problem.  Well, I don't have a gaming PC - just a PC - and it has gotten hot, but never anything serious.  Well, things do overheat on some computers, hence why there is a market for cooling.  Hmm, why do certain computers heat more than others?

O.K., I'm assuming summertime for temperate zones and tropical areas would be notorious for overheating computers, right?

Edited by Jayson

Surely consoles have a cooling mechanism - cause they're a computer!   Well, there not seen as such - but that's what they are.   Anyway.  how do these cooling things work?  Are they bigger than what's found in a laptop?   Also, what can push the heat to the limit in a console?  Has anyone had or been near a burnout?

Since the PS2, most consoles can be stood up on end, and that gives a much bigger exposed area to expel more heat and keep them cooler. But if that isn't working enough, then a small desk fan should do the trick. It has done wonders for me. Or if you're in a relatively small room, and can stand it, you could just put in an air conditioner for that room. For example I turned one of the small extra bedrooms in my house into a home office. It's where I spend most of my time. An AC unit would turn the room into an icebox if I put one in. Or if you don't have a window, you can buy AC units that aren't window units, but they are expensive as hell. Several hundred, pushing close to $1k.