Register Now
skyfire

Switch Lite worth buying?

I know there are folks who may think of buying both the devices. I personally think that lite having better battery is more useful for longer gaming hours. Also it seems like new games are there for the lite. 

So anyone here purchased switch lite? or planning to?

Edited by skyfire

I'm thinking of getting the Switch this holiday, on one hand the Switch lite has a very nice price it is 100 dollars cheaper and to be honest I dont think I'm going to be playing the docked mode very much, but my girlfriend insists of getting the dock version, mostly because the screen is a little bit bigger.

Depends on several factors. The biggest question should be if you think the lower pricepoint is worth it for sacrificing the dock ability. If you're only gonna use the console in handheld mode anyway then yes, it's worth grabbing.

Thing is you can grab a second hand regular Switch for even less than a new Switch Lite if you make a good deal and get more functionality for less money so I dunno. It just depends on what you want I suppose.

And if you already own a regular Switch and want a secondary Switch to only use in handheld mode then I suppose it could be worth it for that but why waste money on that when the regular Switch's entire selling point is its portability?

I dunno, it's up to you and your particular needs.

Just beware that the Lite cannot do anything the Switch cannot do. It's literally the same system. There aren't any exclusive games for it.

And personally I've never had issues with the original Switch battery life. I only use it for short periods of time on trips anyway, it supports USB which means I can take a power bank with me and charge it on the go if I need to. And in docked mode the battery life problem is basically non-existent since it's being powered so.. that whole thing is a non-issue for me.

Edited by Alyxx

On 10/31/2019 at 1:53 AM, skyfire said:

I think thanks to apple many companies think that those things are privilege and not the basic. That's what makes them keep models different with Wifi and Bluetooth as addon rather than necessity. 

I'm not sure what you mean because pretty much every Apple device has had Wifi and Bluetooth connectivity over the past 5 years. If anything, it's Apple who is pushing for full integration of these systems because they got rid of things like the headphone jack on the Iphones and will soon start doing the same on Ipads.

Edited by killamch89

I think I lean towards the idea that is not worth it, at least not for me.

One of the reasons that makes me hesitant is that apparently the joy con drifting problem is present in these consoles too. At least in a normal switch, buying another par of joycons can be an option but with the Lite, they are part of the console, so you are stuck with them.

many of the points @Alyxx makes also I find them as reasons to stick with the original switch. Portability is already there, getting it second hand you might get more than just $100 discount and if you make the habit to dock it while it is not in use, you will have it charged whenever you need to go out. 

1 hour ago, Kaynil said:

One of the reasons that makes me hesitant is that apparently the joy con drifting problem is present in these consoles too. At least in a normal switch, buying another par of joycons can be an option but with the Lite, they are part of the console, so you are stuck with them.

many of the points @Alyxx makes also I find them as reasons to stick with the original switch. Portability is already there, getting it second hand you might get more than just $100 discount and if you make the habit to dock it while it is not in use, you will have it charged whenever you need to go out. 

Those are good points, I personally I'm still thinking about getting the Switch lite , I dont know I think its the portability design that attracts me , but getting the regular switch makes more sense.

3 hours ago, Kaynil said:

The joycon drifting issue has been extremely overblown. A very small number of people actually experience them afaik.

I have the Switch Lite, and the only difference I’ve found between it and the first Switch is that the Lite doesn’t support a vibration function. It has it in the system settings, but it hasn’t activated in any of the games I’ve played on mine yet. For example, in Links Awakening when you get the seashell detector, it’s supposed to both chime and vibrate. It does both on the Switch, but only chimes on the Lite. And it’s the same with all games. So if you can live without small things like that, then you shouldn’t have any problem.

On 11/4/2019 at 8:24 AM, killamch89 said:

I'm not sure what you mean because pretty much every Apple device has had Wifi and Bluetooth connectivity over the past 5 years. If anything, it's Apple who is pushing for full integration of these systems because they got rid of things like the headphone jack on the Iphones and will soon start doing the same on Ipads.

Yeah that exactly what I meant earlier. 

On 11/6/2019 at 12:43 AM, kingpotato said:

Those are good points, I personally I'm still thinking about getting the Switch lite , I dont know I think its the portability design that attracts me , but getting the regular switch makes more sense.

Hahah. I think if you don't think you'll miss the dock and are okay sacrificing a few features for that portability, I think that's alright if you think you don't need to spend more.

On 11/6/2019 at 2:42 AM, Alyxx said:

The joycon drifting issue has been extremely overblown. A very small number of people actually experience them afaik.

Well, I can't talk for others but I haven't had a good experience with them. I got the console in launch, and the joycons lasted over 6 months. Some say most of the problems were with the first batches of them and that Nintendo reinforced them. So after almost two years with the switch I cave in when the drifting happens in both joycons and finally buy myself another par. Mind you I would clean them, recalibrate and try the tutorials, nothing really worked because for many if the drifting is not because of dust it is just the dome that protects some parts bends and causes false inputs and dead zones, if I understand correctly. If I treated my first pair okay I can ensure you I was almost keeping the yellow ones I bought next with extreme care, yet by two months in I had the same issue. I dunno if I got unlucky or it is something by zone, where some areas might be more susceptible to get weaker joycons. Or heck even if no matter how much I cover them, clean them and treat them gently I am missing something here. But in my experiences the quality that Nintendo used to offer has gone really down with these things and that Nintendo decides to go ahead creating a console where you can't take them off without first ensuring to fix that problem was very surprising to me. So I don't think it is as small of an issue and it is a huge turn off for me, because since I don't live in the US I can't just mail my console for free if that happens.

Anyway now that the console has been out for a while, if you guys got it, do you feel it was worth it?

Do you think it might be a good alternative from the original switch?