Register Now
StaceyPowers

In MMOs, do you play yourself?

When you play a character in an MMO, how closely does that character mirror your own personality/beliefs?

I’m watching Westworld for the first time, and there’s a theme in the show that Westworld (which is essential a sort of RL game) reveals peoples’ true selves. I’ve long held the same belief regarding MMOs, and have asserted that even when players create characters which appear very different from them on the surface, they are an expression of something latent to who they are underneath.

I’ve encountered a lot of resistance to that argument, probably because claiming that one’s character is entirely disconnected from oneself makes it easy to abdicate responsibility (i.e. for in-game bullying or other behaviours the player considers potentially shameful).

What are your feelings about the matter? And when you play a character in an MMO, how much do you feel like that person is partly or entirely “you?”

On 8/21/2019 at 11:12 PM, kingpotato said:

I agree, on any videogame that I've played before my character will always look like me or will have my same beliefs, even when replaying a multichoice mmo I will always follow the same path that I'm comfortable with.

Same here - my character always looks somewhat like me and I follow the path that suits my personality which is picking fights with stronger people 🤣🤣. I know I'm insane.

I use Miya the most in mobile legends. her ability has nothing to do with my beliefs and the attack pattern. But I just managed to get along with that character really well. I don't like playing tanks and the assassins. I do good with mages and support and archers. So I think often it's about what we want instead of what is that character is offering. 

The closest to an MMO that I’ve ever played is D&D. In that I was always either chaotic neutral or chaotic evil. I also refused to play anything other than an elf. Typically I was either a ranger or thief. Aside from the elven part, all the attributes are actual attributes of myself. When I was a kid and later in the years I was homeless, I was forced to learn how to steal and not get caught in order to have anything to eat. I ended up with the ability to steal your pants while you’re wearing them without getting caught. I’m not saying I’m proud of being a good thief, but when survival is on the line you do what you have to. I didn’t steal for more than 5-6 months when I was homeless before I started dumpster diving. Pizza Hut was a gold mine. But I’m not a ninja turtle, which means I burnt out on pizza quick as fuck.

34 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

The closest to an MMO that I’ve ever played is D&D. In that I was always either chaotic neutral or chaotic evil. I also refused to play anything other than an elf. Typically I was either a ranger or thief. Aside from the elven part, all the attributes are actual attributes of myself. When I was a kid and later in the years I was homeless, I was forced to learn how to steal and not get caught in order to have anything to eat. I ended up with the ability to steal your pants while you’re wearing them without getting caught. I’m not saying I’m proud of being a good thief, but when survival is on the line you do what you have to. I didn’t steal for more than 5-6 months when I was homeless before I started dumpster diving. Pizza Hut was a gold mine. But I’m not a ninja turtle, which means I burnt out on pizza quick as fuck.

In most MMOs, I am always chaotic good or neutral. I don't have a problem being the one to stop the evil baddie but I'll kill anyone that happens to be in the way. 🤣🤣