Register Now
StaceyPowers

Best and worst tutorials?

In another thread, both @kingpotato and @killamch89 mentioned that they don't like long tutorials in video games. 

I'm someone who can sometimes benefit from them, being as I have executive function deficits which make me slow to pick up on super basic stuff involving menus and controls. I often need to repeat an action a bunch of times to teach my muscles to do things right (my brain will never fully consciously pick up on this stuff). But at the same time, nothing is more annoying than having to play for 30 minutes or more before you can even make a save file.

I think arguably the best tutorial/intro in a game I've played is The Last of Us. You're given as much or as little time as you need to in the house as Sarah to get used to the controls with zero pressure. Then when you leave, well, there's never been another intro sequence which hit me harder or pulled me in faster than that first chapter.

What are some of the best and worst tutorials you've encountered in video games?

Worst is gotta be Assassins Creed 3, the game starts of very normal, you get to do a few sequences of the story and you get to learn all the basics of an AC game as you progress through the missions, that was very nice, the problem is that the "Real tutorial" starts an hour later into the game, making you relearn stuff that you already new, like climbing for example, the only difference is that you are climbing trees which makes no sense since climbing trees and buildings is basically the same and it takes the same logic and controllers in the game. The whole training missions where unnecessary to the game, even if you where a newcomer to the franchise they could have divided the essentials of the training like hunting and traps into different missions and not a long 30 minute tutorial.

All Assassins Creed games. I tried several of them and that bullshit tutorial at the beginning of the game NEVER FUCKING ENDS. With no end in sight to it, after trying 3 different editions to the franchise, I learned quickly that the game is to be hated in my house. I can't stand it. And it looked so promising. I thought I would love it. Nope.