Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games You Miss From Your Childhood

I’ve only recently really gotten back into gaming, but I loved it when I was a kid, and sometimes I really miss some of the classic games I had for console or PC back then, like:

·         Solstice. An isometric game for Nintendo which I thought was totally amazing at the time because … ISOMETRIC. Plus, it had a super cool theme song and was very atmospheric.

·         There were some rather primitive-looking point-and-click games for PC that I really got into, but sadly their names are lost to the mist of time. I do recall that they were murder mysteries or something similar.

·         Myst. The game that got us all to purchase CD-ROMs back in the day. To this day, no other game I’ve played has been that unnerving. Nothing bad ever happened to you in it, and it still made you constantly want to look over your shoulder.

·         Old Warcraft/Starcraft games.

·         Half-Life. That game really took shooters to the next level, and while it inspired a lot of great games since, the thrill of playing something so groundbreaking can never be replaced.

·         Zork. Any and all Zork.

What games do you get the most nostalgic wishing you could play again?

Definitely Starcraft. Then again I remember that horse racing game on Neo Geo and Samurai Showdown and King of Fighters. Man, those were the days. 

One game I never got over as well was Syberia, I must have played it more than 10 times. This game is SOOOO good. Too bad the next two sequels didn't live up to their expectations 😞

I played this World War II one (Apple) that was a blast and also there was that Pitfall Harry game (Atari).  Anyway, I have no idea how to find that World War II one, but at least the Atari one might be on the Atari Flashback.  So has anyone played those games?

This isn't as much of a game that I miss than an experience that I miss, that is more difficult to replicate nowadays. I miss couch multiplayer. 4 player was king from 1997-2005, then right as online became big, everyone de-emphasized local multiplayer. It's a real shame too because HDTVs and UHD would make local multiplayer look phenomenal. 

I miss the days of crowding around a TV, elbow to elbow, and just going on long competitive gaming sessions with friends only. No strangers, just people you know and maybe some CPUs. Games like Goldeneye, Mario Party, Super Smash Bros Melee, Halo, and Star Wars Battlefront II. Online makes everything too convenient and everyone just stays home now. Halo 5 didn't even bother to include splitscreen! What a shame.

I wholeheartedly agree with u ApolloVI those were the best experiences. Not that I'm complaining about online play but it is more disconnecting. Most of the time you have no idea who you're playing with. 

Considering I have all the games from my childhood and can play them any time I want I don't really relate to that "games I wish I could play again" feeling. Other than ODT I think, that game refuses to work on modern Windows.

I wish some would just port the whole of the Zork series to a handheld like PS Vita or Nintendo Switch. I'd buy the shit out of that.

Also, I miss a few Amstrad CPC 464 games like Monty on the Run, the Dizzy series and Bomb Jack. Nobody's probably heard of any of 'em but trust me, they were great games back in their day!

On 9/16/2018 at 1:01 PM, italianmunchiez said:

Ratchet and clank but then again I can always play it on the ps4. 😛     

That game was what got me into gaming, my father introduced me to it, and all it took was a diamond dimension to get me into the rest of gaming.

Same for me as the blackangel, i still play a lot of old games from time to time but nowhere near as much as i like to but you know.

It's more the nostalgia when playing  games together with somebody i miss, like once me and nephew beat streets of rage 2 about 10 times on christmas eve, playing nba jam together against the ai on the hardest difficulty to see how we would fare. 

It's a shame for me not getting to super Mario Galaxy 2, Pokémon Go after learning from a friend of mine she watching him play those two games, and enjoyed watching it. I planned to play the games, but forgot about them quickly, remembered them after some years, by then I couldn't go back playing them.