Register Now
StaceyPowers

Does anyone actually use melee skills in video games with guns?

Most video games I’ve played offer a selection of melee weapons and combat techniques. So I know that at least some gamers must choose to specialize in this direction. I do use melee weapons in games like Skyrim, but I have a hard time wrapping my mind around melee and unarmed combat in, say, Fallout games. The most efficient way to fight is usually to employ rifles at a distance and shotguns up close.

I can see specializing in melee and unarmed as a challenge … but does anyone actually prefer this as their combat approach in general in games which feature guns?

@killamch89 @kingpotato @DylanC @Alyxx @skyfire @The Blackangel

I may use melee skills to humiliate my opponents (have done in GTA and a whole host of FPS games) or if I run out of ammunition and can't buy time to reload but I haven't really used melee skills for an extended period. Skyrim is probably the only exception where I do have a couple unarmed characters and when I used ot play Champions Online back in the day.

Melee on FPS, Well its hard to say, I think it depends om the game. For example in Fallout I totally ignored Melee, I dont even know why fallout has close combat , a gun will always outmatch a guy with fists or knifes and at close quarters a shotgun will do better in fallout. On Borderlands 2 the character Zero has a ninja sword which is used for a standard melee attack but you can upgrade the damage and the effects but still a shotgun will do better damage. And lastly on Callofduty blackout 2 I always enjoyed being the crazy guy with the knife sneaking on everybody, it didnt always work but it was cool.

8 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Three days after writing this, I am voluntarily running around Oblivion punching enemies, just to avoid hassles with repairing weapons. Lol.

They have a mod for Skyrim where every piece fo gear is breakable unless you constantly repair it and as you can imagine, I have been in Dragon Fights and the armor just breaks. Needless to say, I have had to pull some  "tactical retreats" because of this. 🤣

18 hours ago, killamch89 said:

They have a mod for Skyrim where every piece fo gear is breakable unless you constantly repair it and as you can imagine, I have been in Dragon Fights and the armor just breaks. Needless to say, I have had to pull some  "tactical retreats" because of this. 🤣

Ugh, I would find that very irritating probably. I don't mind the repair system in Fallout at all though, but that is because you don't need to go running around buying repair hammers like in Oblivion. You just cannibalize other equipment which you're stumbling across anyway. I've also noticed in NV that my gun seems to get more and more powerful the more I repair it. I'm not sure if that is intentional or a bug, but it's pretty sweet.

19 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Ugh, I would find that very irritating probably. I don't mind the repair system in Fallout at all though, but that is because you don't need to go running around buying repair hammers like in Oblivion. You just cannibalize other equipment which you're stumbling across anyway. I've also noticed in NV that my gun seems to get more and more powerful the more I repair it. I'm not sure if that is intentional or a bug, but it's pretty sweet.

The mod doesn't require to buy repair hammers either and the armor doesn't even break that frequently it is just that I forget I have the mod installed and then with my luck, I decide to go fight a Dragon or boss and Poof! armor needs to be repaired lol.