Register Now
StaceyPowers

Most consumer friendly gaming companies?

With so much discussion over anti-consumer practices by game developers and publishers (not to mention console manufacturers), what are some companies which truly seem to care about customer experience, and which go the extra mile to be fair and decent?

@DylanC @kingpotato @The Blackangel @killamch89 @Alyxx @Executor Akamia @Aerielle del Rosario @skyfire

Digital Extremes is pretty good about this, at least with regard to how they handle Warframe. Their practices don’t come across as predatory at all to me. Even their closest analogue to loot boxes, Relics, is rendered relatively harmless with in-game trading and the option to pick someone else’s reward if multiple relics are opened in the same party.

I once heard a story where someone bought like $200 worth of Platinum, the game’s premium currency. Maybe more than that, maybe less, I dunno. Either way, it was a wakeup call. I don’t remember what they were buying with the Platinum, think it was something to do with Kubrows, but after DE realized they screwed up at some point, they refunded the guy and reworked whatever it was that motivated it in the first place.

I had a good experience with the Babelgames (makers of Realm defense) and Moonton( makers of Mobile Legends). So I'd say small gaming studios are often good but they tend to have to deal with the technical difficulties and lot of support tickets though especially if they have online matches etc. 

55 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

CD Projekt Red is probably the only triple A gaming company I know that is very consumer friendly and always creates quality products for a reasonable price and those games are functional from day one instead of need patches upon release to fix them later.

Incidentally, CD Projekt Red also owns GOG which arguably is the most consumer friendly platform in existence right now with its focus on DRM-free software and preservation of older games.

4 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Incidentally, CD Projekt Red also owns GOG which arguably is the most consumer friendly platform in existence right now with its focus on DRM-free software and preservation of older games.

No wonder I always liked buying games from GOG lol. It makes perfect sense why I always recommend it to gamers - especially new ones because of their policies.

4 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Nintendo I would say fits that category. They seem genuinely interested in not just making games, but creating experiences that enhance people's quality of life positively.

It's probably because I haven't bought a Nintendo console in a while why I didn't remember it but you are correct. They do treat their consumers and works really well except for the occasional hiccup here and there.

7 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Nintendo I would say fits that category. They seem genuinely interested in not just making games, but creating experiences that enhance people's quality of life positively.

I agree Nintendo seems to be the company that values the quality of their content, except maybe how the current online nintendo service is going on with the lack of a good interface and content but aside from that you rarely get to see microtransactions on a Nintendo game.

11 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I agree Nintendo seems to be the company that values the quality of their content, except maybe how the current online nintendo service is going on with the lack of a good interface and content but aside from that you rarely get to see microtransactions on a Nintendo game.

I agree and thank the heavens they aren't going to change their stance towards microtransactions anytime soon.

I haven't used Nintendo customer service since I was a kid, but I do know that back then they cared. I remember one day I was playing SMB and was at level 8-4 and couldn't figure out how the hell I was supposed to get through it to reach Bowser. What can I say I was 7-8 years old. So I finally got frustrated and called them. They told me the pattern that you have to follow to get through the level to actually reach him. So I did their pattern, and beat the game for the first time. I'm pretty sure that if that had been Sony or Microsoft (PlayStation, Xbox) they would have just told me to figure it out on my own. Mainly because they weren't in the beginning a gaming company. Nintendo has always been a game company. In their beginning they were a playing card company. So I think they appreciate their customers more as far as gaming is concerned.

Edited by The Blackangel

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I haven't used Nintendo customer service since I was a kid, but I do know that back then they cared. I remember one day I was playing SMB and was at level 8-4 and couldn't figure out how the hell I was supposed to get through it to reach Bowser. What can I say I was 7-8 years old. So I finally got frustrated and called them. They told me the pattern that you have to follow to get through the level to actually reach him. So I did their pattern, and beat the game for the first time. I'm pretty sure that if that had been Sony or Microsoft (PlayStation, Xbox) they would have just told me to figure it out on my own. Mainly because they weren't in the beginning a gaming company. Nintendo has always been a game company. In their beginning they were a playing card company. So I think they appreciate their customers more as far as gaming is concerned.

You are right that Microsoft or Sony wouldn't have help you in that instance. They'd have probably told you to go get your parents and they'd tell them to tell you to figure it out yourself.