Register Now
skyfire

Tablet As Gaming Platform?

I think the way I game is very different on mobile and in PC. On PC I'm all about immersion or the multiplayer experience (eg. Dota) but on mobile I'm more interested in level based progression, puzzle games etc. Some examples would be monument valley and furdemption. Or if the user interface is just that much better with a touch screen, osmos is an excellent example for that.

13 hours ago, Empire said:

I think the way I game is very different on mobile and in PC. On PC I'm all about immersion or the multiplayer experience (eg. Dota) but on mobile I'm more interested in level based progression, puzzle games etc. Some examples would be monument valley and furdemption. Or if the user interface is just that much better with a touch screen, osmos is an excellent example for that.

I do like the multiplayer aspect of mobile games because it's so easy to get a group together. You just need some sort of software to communicate outside the game such as Discord or Line.

Would need something that has good cooling, ad a good CPU/GPU. Problem is that most tablets don't, and when you get to ones that do, you end up with like a Surface (which is just a PC at that point trying to be a handheld laptop).

Need more like 4gb memory to have a good gaming tablet 🙂 however most gaming apps aren't like games on PC, they made to use far less system specs then anything else. I say good battery life is really needed, like they just eat up the life with any gaming tablet. 

Tablets are nnice, they are fun, but not sure if I'd love to use one too much for gaming, I did have one and sat on it and broke it(I am not that heavy lol but still 80kg) I used it for mostly work related things.

On 1/14/2021 at 1:51 PM, Shole said:

Tablets are nnice, they are fun, but not sure if I'd love to use one too much for gaming, I did have one and sat on it and broke it(I am not that heavy lol but still 80kg) I used it for mostly work related things.

I've owned an Ipad for years and have gamed extensively on it and it still runs very smoothly so it depends on what brand you buy. Fun fact, that's the only Apple product I'll ever waste my money on.

I would say ipads as a gaming device is nothing short of the destroying your money. In case of the android tablets, you should be thinking of them as gaming device and i think ipad is more or less a good designer and creators device. 

When compared to just smartphone, I believe that Tablets would be a good fit for playing games. It would give you a better view in terms of size. I used one of my old Samsung Tablet back then for playing games and it works very well. 

Tablets are completely capable of doing it, and there are games on both app stores that show it. A lot of them also allow you to pair a Bluetooth controller to it.

So it’s less of a hardware problem and more of a culture problem. Gamers like turning their noses to someone who plays games on their phone or tablet. Especially now with a lot of these games you own on your PC or console are now available on your phone, and not even in a “dumbed down” mobile version. So it becomes really petty at this point.

If I play Genshin Impact on my PlayStation or PC, I am a real gamer.

If I use my same Genshin login credentials and progress on my phone or tablet, I am not a gamer.

The same thing can be said with the Final Fantasy pixel remasters. If I buy/play them on Steam, I am a real gamer. I buy that game on my phone, not a real gamer.

So I think the perspective of it from the gaming community will change, but not from tablets/mobile changing, but from the people changing. Like most perspective changes, the generation that grew up with it start displacing those who dismissed it in the community.

This isn’t exclusive to gaming, but there were a lot of things that were widely hated when they were contemporary that are now beloved. Nothing changed about the content, just the acceptance.

Since we’re in the age of the internet, things are pretty well archived. You can find forum posts or YouTube videos from 10-15 years ago and see wildly different opinions on the same games that are beloved now.

1 hour ago, Grungie said:

Tablets are completely capable of doing it, and there are games on both app stores that show it. A lot of them also allow you to pair a Bluetooth controller to it.

So it’s less of a hardware problem and more of a culture problem. Gamers like turning their noses to someone who plays games on their phone or tablet. Especially now with a lot of these games you own on your PC or console are now available on your phone, and not even in a “dumbed down” mobile version. So it becomes really petty at this point.

If I play Genshin Impact on my PlayStation or PC, I am a real gamer.

If I use my same Genshin login credentials and progress on my phone or tablet, I am not a gamer.

The same thing can be said with the Final Fantasy pixel remasters. If I buy/play them on Steam, I am a real gamer. I buy that game on my phone, not a real gamer.

So I think the perspective of it from the gaming community will change, but not from tablets/mobile changing, but from the people changing. Like most perspective changes, the generation that grew up with it start displacing those who dismissed it in the community.

This isn’t exclusive to gaming, but there were a lot of things that were widely hated when they were contemporary that are now beloved. Nothing changed about the content, just the acceptance.

Since we’re in the age of the internet, things are pretty well archived. You can find forum posts or YouTube videos from 10-15 years ago and see wildly different opinions on the same games that are beloved now.

I can agree to some extent, but it isn't all about a superiorty complex from console and PC players. Like it or not not, mobile gaming is an area whare the very worst of the industry is not only tolerated, but it's the norm. So I don't think gamers on PC and console can be blamed for asking "Why do mobile gamers put up with this?". When the answer the get is from people who clearly don't have the kind of standered or expectations that is  expect on console and PC, I think questioning how much they care and wether they are fully aware of what it is they choose to support it's a fair criticism. Gamers on PC and console are more prepared to say "this is not good enough" and it's because they know better. I know that sounds harsh, but like it or not it is the truth.

9 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I can agree to some extent, but it isn't all about a superiorty complex from console and PC players. Like it or not not, mobile gaming is an area whare the very worst of the industry is not only tolerated, but it's the norm. So I don't think gamers on PC and console can be blamed for asking "Why do mobile gamers put up with this?". When the answer the get is from people who clearly don't have the kind of standered or expectations that is  expect on console and PC, I think questioning how much they care and wether they are fully aware of what it is they choose to support it's a fair criticism. Gamers on PC and console are more prepared to say "this is not good enough" and it's because they know better. I know that sounds harsh, but like it or not it is the truth.

I disagree. I see some of those tactics from the shady mobile games (like microtransactions and pay to win) coming into the PC/console market, and while the gaming community acts like they don't tolerate it, these games still sell tons of copies. So while I don't condone the practice, I can see where these companies are coming from. Sure you got negative publicity for your game, but you sold like 10 million copies, so at the end of the day, you made your money off of it.

I'm a huge music nerd, so I'll compare this to what I see in the music industry. You'll have these artists and genres that are wildly hated by the press and the community, but despite having zero credibility with the press/community, they are still wildly successful on a commercial level, and have sold out venues. So while we have the perspective that nobody likes this crap, clearly somebody must like it due to the commercial results. Look at EA, the most wildly hated company, but their games are still selling really well.

27 minutes ago, Grungie said:

I disagree. I see some of those tactics from the shady mobile games (like microtransactions and pay to win) coming into the PC/console market, and while the gaming community acts like they don't tolerate it, these games still sell tons of copies. So while I don't condone the practice, I can see where these companies are coming from. Sure you got negative publicity for your game, but you sold like 10 million copies, so at the end of the day, you made your money off of it.

I'm a huge music nerd, so I'll compare this to what I see in the music industry. You'll have these artists and genres that are wildly hated by the press and the community, but despite having zero credibility with the press/community, they are still wildly successful on a commercial level, and have sold out venues. So while we have the perspective that nobody likes this crap, clearly somebody must like it due to the commercial results. Look at EA, the most wildly hated company, but their games are still selling really well.

And the whole reason why these horrid practices are worming thier way into PC and consoles is because the mobile gamers have been so accepting of them. To mobile gamers, that's what gaming is, and these companies know that. That's why they use mobile gamers as the proving ground for these disgusting practices because the peploe who play mobile games dont know any better.

Take Diablo Immortal, something that we know is an incidoeos pile of piss, yet right now has a rating of 3.4 stars on the play store despite a metacritic user score on 0.3/10. Mere days later, Blizzard announce Diablo IV. Coincidence? No chance.

Part of it was a feeble attempt to distract everyone from the bad PR generated by Diablo Immortal, but it was also a clear sign they wanted to know what they could get away with in terms of monetisation. They won't look at the reaction from PC and consoles fans, they'll pick and choose to listen to the positive feedback to justify the inneviable action of inserting at least some of the horrid systems from Diablo Immortal into Diablo IV. If mobile gamers didn't have such a "relaxed" attitude towards these practices, something that comes at least in part from ignorance on how proper games on PC and console work, these companies wouldn't get away with it.

I'm not saying that mobile gamers deserve the contempt the get from PC and console gamers, all I'm saying is that mobile games and mobile games recieve that unfortunate compemnt for a reason. They justify how mobile games are, and thus justify their business model, and that in turn is all the  justication companies like Acti-Bilizzard and EA nead to try and extend that to everything, even full priced games. It's a similar sort of thing with EA FIFA fans. The majority of them continue to support those games despite their insideous, predetory nature, so EA are always trying to push that shit into thier other games.