Register Now
DC

Last Game Played

Play some Raft for 103 minutes. Got bored. Refunded it on Steam.

It's a cool concept, being able to build your home on a raft with lots of customization and island exploration. But man, it reminds me why I dislike survival games. The difficulty curve at the beginning was very steep, especially if you're new to both the game and the genre. It's hard to keep calm and figure out what to do next when the hunger and thirst meters keep you on your toes. Definitely not recommended if you suffer from anxiety issues and panic attacks.

22 minutes ago, Akun said:

Play some Raft for 103 minutes. Got bored. Refunded it on Steam.

It's a cool concept, being able to build your home on a raft with lots of customization and island exploration. But man, it reminds me why I dislike survival games. The difficulty curve at the beginning was very steep, especially if you're new to both the game and the genre. It's hard to keep calm and figure out what to do next when the hunger and thirst meters keep you on your toes. Definitely not recommended if you suffer from anxiety issues and panic attacks.

awww, that's a bummer, raft is good, but I mainly watch content creators getting creative on YouTube.

Maybe you should try the forest, it has a good story, or maybe rust, since it's a survival multiplayer. 😁

6 hours ago, Gonassis said:

Maybe you should try the forest, it has a good story, or maybe rust, since it's a survival multiplayer. 😁

Nah, I think I have enough survival games for a lifetime. lol I get why the challenge of these games is appealing, but I prefer my games to be more relaxing, not stress me out.

After much hesitation, I bought Jurassic World: Evolution 2 - Premium Edition, and I've played it with the downloaded save game file where everything is unlocked for the sandbox without going through the tedious Chaos Theory mode. So much more fun that way, and a far more pleasant and relaxing experience, just like how a sandbox should be.

I love dinosaurs, and just being able to exhibit them and observe them without worrying about profit or pleasing guests (too often) is just such a nice way to spend your evening, maybe with a cup of joe on the side as you watch that T-Rex tear that goat to shreds. I am kinda annoyed though that a lot of the buildings and creatures are locked behind certain requirements you need to meet even in sandbox mode, so I couldn't immediately just create a T-Rex and have fun and have to jump through all the hoops. The mods didn't really change that even though I'm pretty sure I've followed the instructions correctly. Ah well.

12 minutes ago, Akun said:

After much hesitation, I bought Jurassic World: Evolution 2 - Premium Edition, and I've played it with the downloaded save game file where everything is unlocked for the sandbox without going through the tedious Chaos Theory mode. So much more fun that way, and a far more pleasant and relaxing experience, just like how a sandbox should be.

chewing-jim-carrey.gif.ccc3b3ee0036863ebcf9a1d93c53752f.gif

There are some so who would call that cheating...

Edited by Shagger

24 minutes ago, Shagger said:

chewing-jim-carrey.gif.ccc3b3ee0036863ebcf9a1d93c53752f.gif

There are some so who would call that cheating...

I don't see the problem with that if it means it will cause me less stress. Who gives a crap what other people think about how I play the games I paid for? It's a ridiculous logic to shame people for. I like cheating in my games anyway since it makes games less stressful for me.

44 minutes ago, Akun said:

I don't see the problem with that if it means it will cause me less stress. Who gives a crap what other people think about how I play the games I paid for? It's a ridiculous logic to shame people for. I like cheating in my games anyway since it makes games less stressful for me.

Easy, I wasn't being serious. It doesn't bother me at all, you can do what you like when it comes to mods and cheats on single player games.

Honestly, I wouldn't even call most of these mods cheating considering that the sandbox mode has been modified (by the game developers) to the point where you could turn off most of the challenges like staff needs and power consumption. Cheating would imply someone's being cheated, but the game devs are clearly encouraging free-range sandbox without restraints.

Edited by Akun

On 9/6/2022 at 8:06 AM, Akun said:

Nah, I think I have enough survival games for a lifetime. lol I get why the challenge of these games is appealing, but I prefer my games to be more relaxing, not stress me out.

Hmmmm, reminds me of this survival sort of game, that was built as an educational game to be sold initially to schools, have you heard of "ECO"? It might be the sort of game that you might like, since it's technically sort of peaceful, and can play with multiplayer on public or private servers.

It's a sort of like Minecraft, but with economy features, and a meteor will destroy the world if the players don't stop it.

to get the gist of it, just search for a youtuber that has a fast recap video about their world from start to endgame. There are plenty. 😀

https://store.steampowered.com/app/382310/Eco/

On 9/8/2022 at 9:26 AM, Akun said:

I love dinosaurs, and just being able to exhibit them and observe them without worrying about profit or pleasing guests (too often) is just such a nice way to spend your evening, maybe with a cup of joe on the side as you watch that T-Rex tear that goat to shreds. I am kinda annoyed though that a lot of the buildings and creatures are locked behind certain requirements you need to meet even in sandbox mode, so I couldn't immediately just create a T-Rex and have fun and have to jump through all the hoops. The mods didn't really change that even though I'm pretty sure I've followed the instructions correctly. Ah well.

Hmmm, do you play Minecraft? I remember seeing a modpack about dinosaurs a while back, that could be literally sandboxed mode too. 😁

Edited by Gonassis

20 minutes ago, Gonassis said:

Hmmmm, reminds me of this survival sort of game, that was built as an educational game to be sold initially to schools, have you heard of "ECO"? It might be the sort of game that you might like, since it's technically sort of peaceful, and can play with multiplayer on public or private servers.

It's a sort of like Minecraft, but with economy features, and a meteor will destroy the world if the players don't stop it.

to get the gist of it, just search for a youtuber that has a fast recap video about their world from start to endgame. There are plenty. 😀

https://store.steampowered.com/app/382310/Eco/

It looks cool, but to be honest, I'm just kinda too lazy to have fun managing resources. Even in Jurassic World: Evolution 2, which I just bought, I just turn off all resource management options in sandbox mode because I'd much rather get to the fun stuff - building dinosaurs and observing them. Eco looks like you'll have to build an entire community from the ground up, and don't get me wrong, I did enjoy that kind of game for quite a long time over several years in the past. But I guess I've kinda outgrown those games and I've moved on to more straightforward sandbox games where I can do whatever I want. Resource management tends to feel like a chore, like work, and working is the last thing I want to be reminded of while playing a game.

20 minutes ago, Gonassis said:

Hmmm, do you play Minecraft? I remember seeing a modpack about dinosaurs a while back, that could be literally sandboxed mode too. 😁

Minecraft doesn't really have the top-tier graphics JWE2 has, unfortunately. lol Part of the reason why I caved in buying JWE2 is because of how great the dinosaurs look as opposed to, say, Parkasaurus (which has far superior gameplay, but the dinos look like cartoons for toddlers).

Edited by Akun

44 minutes ago, Akun said:

It looks cool, but to be honest, I'm just kinda too lazy to have fun managing resources. Even in Jurassic World: Evolution 2, which I just bought, I just turn off all resource management options in sandbox mode because I'd much rather get to the fun stuff - building dinosaurs and observing them. Eco looks like you'll have to build an entire community from the ground up, and don't get me wrong, I did enjoy that kind of game for quite a long time over several years in the past. But I guess I've kinda outgrown those games and I've moved on to more straightforward sandbox games where I can do whatever I want. Resource management tends to feel like a chore, like work, and working is the last thing I want to be reminded of while playing a game.

Minecraft doesn't really have the top-tier graphics JWE2 has, unfortunately. lol Part of the reason why I caved in buying JWE2 is because of how great the dinosaurs look as opposed to, say, Parkasaurus (which has far superior gameplay, but the dinos look like cartoons for toddlers).

I see, you're on to a new phase then... true, managing games are built to... well... manage stuff, and that can feel like work, or even is a chore depending on the perspective. 
Playing stuff in pure sandbox mode? That feels like getting some relaxed creative juices flowing, or oddly like Lego. 😁 just having fun doing stuff.

For me, Lego was a large part of my childhood, so even now, Minecraft has that forever appeal of "virtual Lego" for me. 😀

So I don't care about that aspect of Hi-res graphics of Minecraft. Though, shader packs and animated textures are more fun to play with if the PC can handle it. 😁
also reminds me of a friend who once commented that Minecraft has no appeal to him at all because of the simple graphics.

Although I do appreciate great HD graphics on other games too, like all the stuff that's coming out as Unreal Engine 5 demos are very cool. 😎

Edited by Gonassis

8 hours ago, Gonassis said:

Playing stuff in pure sandbox mode? That feels like getting some relaxed creative juices flowing, or oddly like Lego. 😁 just having fun doing stuff.

It's not even about that since I'm not very creative. It's about having that sense of control, or the illusion of it, which is ironic for a Jurassic Park/World game because the franchise's all about man not having control, and how chaos will always happen. lol Well, chaos, guess what? As Dr. Wu said in the first Jurassic Park movie, I simply deny them that (by using mods). 😛

In fact, not being very creative is the reason why I find most sandbox games boring, because I'm just not creative enough to create the most impressive-looking theme parks/zoos in the world, so there's no satisfaction in playing them. Jurassic World: Evolution games are different though, since they're not about creativity, but about... well, creating dinosaurs. lol