Register Now
killamch89

Sega Genesis Mini - Are You Getting It?

17 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

No way, no how. I have a real Sega, and I have no interest in an imitation Sega. Getting one of those is like choosing a sex toy over sex. 

The analogy is pretty hilarious but I have to agree with you for the most part. Nothing beats the originals - most times anyways. I mean, I have a Sega Genesis Emulator on my PC right now so this is pretty redundant and on top of that, I can get my hands on far more games across the web than being limited to just 40 games.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

My sentiments exactly - I have yet to buy any of these "mini" consoles because I already have emulators that offer a vastly superior experience.

To be fair I don't think serious gamers are the target audience. More for these kids who think getting a mini console means they know what it's like to play retro games.

Yeah but if you're not playing the retro games on a retro console, then you still don't know what it's like. If you're not having to grab a butter knife out of the kitchen to perform heart surgery on your system when you get that blinking screen that will send anyone with epilepsy into a coma, then you're not playing retro. If you don't have to search every room for a certain game cartridge that you're wanting to play, end up getting pissed off and settle for something else, only to find the damn cartridge in the system where you left it the night before, you're not playing retro.

And above all else, if you don't give yourself an asthma attack from blowing into the cartridge in a vain attempt to get the god damn thing to work, YOU'RE NOT PLAYING RETRO.

18 hours ago, Alyxx said:

To be fair I don't think serious gamers are the target audience. More for these kids who think getting a mini console means they know what it's like to play retro games.

I'm not totally convinced that many kids nowadays would be interested in something like this - not when Fortnite's around. I think it's geared towards the 80s/90s generation of gamers like you and me.

12 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Yeah but if you're not playing the retro games on a retro console, then you still don't know what it's like. If you're not having to grab a butter knife out of the kitchen to perform heart surgery on your system when you get that blinking screen that will send anyone with epilepsy into a coma, then you're not playing retro. If you don't have to search every room for a certain game cartridge that you're wanting to play, end up getting pissed off and settle for something else, only to find the damn cartridge in the system where you left it the night before, you're not playing retro.

And above all else, if you don't give yourself an asthma attack from blowing into the cartridge in a vain attempt to get the god damn thing to work, YOU'RE NOT PLAYING RETRO.

The legendary cartridge blow is one memory I'll never forget 🤣

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'm not totally convinced that many kids nowadays would be interested in something like this - not when Fortnite's around. I think it's geared towards the 80s/90s generation of gamers like you and me.

You'd be surprised how many hipster kids nowadays play retro games just for the sake of appearing more knowledgeable than they are.

6 hours ago, Alyxx said:

You'd be surprised how many hipster kids nowadays play retro games just for the sake of appearing more knowledgeable than they are.

Fair point.

58 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

And those of us who are 80's kids and grew up with the retro systems find the dumbass hipsters hilarious when they try to talk about it.

Often times they get the name of the systems wrong, the year they were released totally off.

One of the funniest things I ever heard was a kid trying to talk so "matter of factly" about some games. He was telling someone about Zelda 2 being released on SNES. The other kid tried to tell him that Zelda 2 was on NES, and the idiot one told him, with complete superiority, that there was only one Zelda game on NES. I had to intervene at that point. I told him that Zelda 2: The Adventure Of Link was the second Zelda game, and that it was in fact, on the original NES. That it was the side scrolling Zelda. The one with many towns. You learn spells instead of items that you can equip. He fully informed me that I was wrong and that there was no side scrolling Zelda. I invited him over to show him that there was in fact a side scrolling Zelda. When he saw it, he went white as a ghost. Now it was my turn to give facts and information. I told him he was a fucking retard, and so damn stupid he made a rock look like a Rhodes scholar. I asked what year he was born and he said he was born in 2001. I told him that Nintendo had released 4 consoles since the NES (SNES, N64, Virtual Boy, Game Cube) before he was even born. I asked him if he had even ever seen an actual NES system and he refused to answer. So I slapped him in the mouth and told him that the next time he wanted to educate someone, he had better know what the fuck he was talking about. Then gave him 3 seconds to get out of my house before I shot him. He took off with his tail tucked firmly between his legs. Probably to make sure his head stayed up his ass.

I'll tell you some information that is something you need to know people: It's easier to take your head out of your ass if you don't have your foot in your mouth.

21 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

One of the funniest things I ever heard was a kid trying to talk so "matter of factly" about some games. He was telling someone about Zelda 2 being released on SNES. The other kid tried to tell him that Zelda 2 was on NES, and the idiot one told him, with complete superiority, that there was only one Zelda game on NES. I had to intervene at that point. I told him that Zelda 2: The Adventure Of Link was the second Zelda game, and that it was in fact, on the original NES. That it was the side scrolling Zelda. The one with many towns. You learn spells instead of items that you can equip. He fully informed me that I was wrong and that there was no side scrolling Zelda. I invited him over to show him that there was in fact a side scrolling Zelda. When he saw it, he went white as a ghost. Now it was my turn to give facts and information. I told him he was a fucking retard, and so damn stupid he made a rock look like a Rhodes scholar. I asked what year he was born and he said he was born in 2001. I told him that Nintendo had released 4 consoles since the NES (SNES, N64, Virtual Boy, Game Cube) before he was even born. I asked him if he had even ever seen an actual NES system and he refused to answer. So I slapped him in the mouth and told him that the next time he wanted to educate someone, he had better know what the fuck he was talking about. Then gave him 3 seconds to get out of my house before I shot him. He took off with his tail tucked firmly between his legs. Probably to make sure his head stayed up his ass.

I'll tell you some information that is something you need to know people: It's easier to take your head out of your ass if you don't have your foot in your mouth.

Sounds a bit harsh...

I refuse to tolerate stupidity. If he had said he had thought that there was only one and accepted that he was mistaken then there would have been no problem. But since he had decided that he was smart and correct on the subject, that was when the problem entered the situation.

Ignorance is one thing. That is cured by learning. Everyone is ignorant about more than they’re educated about. Stupidity on the other hand, is inexcusable. It is not to be accepted or tolerated.