Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games as "the next best thing" to physical activities

I was reading @The Blackangel talking here about not having many options for entertainment anymore owing to being stuck in a wheelchair. While there is a lot of conversation about gaming taking people away from physical exercise, not everybody has the option of leading an "active lifestyle."

I can relate to the limited-entertainment-options issue, though to a lesser extent. In my case, my chronic pain doesn’t stop me from going out or doing mild to moderate exercise, but it does stop me from pursuing a lot of activities I used to enjoy, prime among them being travel. It is very difficult to plan a trip when I know there is a likely chance that the entire experience will be blotted out by pain issues.

Instead, I find that gaming is the closest thing to filling that particular life void. Nighttime when I game is when my body feels best, and in games, I can travel to other locations in a way that feels more “real” to me than physically travelling but being separated from experiences by my pain.

I wish that benefits like this would receive more attention in media coverage. Gaming does not take all of us away from physical activities. For some of us, it simply is our “next best thing.”

Can anyone else relate to this? If your health limits your physical capabilities and activities, do you find that gaming offers you experiences that help to fill some of the gaps?

Edited by StaceyPowers

I too suffer from a motor disability, but I can walk and run, I'm to lazy to exercise but I'm still somehow active, I'm always moving around the city doing my errands and sometimes I go out with my girlfriend and we travel a couple of times a year, the only down side is that I cant walk barefoot in the sand without my legbraces so thats why I dont go to the beach that often. Somehow I'm still in good shape but I gained some weight in the last year xD

I don't have any serious health issues.  However, though, my bodybuilding is highly limited by back problems.  That's why I only lift 10 or 20 pound dumbbells - and if I need more action, I just have to do more reps.  However, doing more reps can be boring so I have to be a master of keeping the mind occupied.

Well, anyway, when it comes to sports games  - I think gaming can be 2nd best to actually playing many times.  Well, actually, there's no chance you could play a sports game - like on a video game.  I mean, who is really going to be in the NFL?

Video gaming can be fun.  However, web development, music, 3D art creation or melding your hobby with web development (creating an art of music website) can be just as fun for some people.  Well, I suppose it's a subjective issue with many different opinions.

Anyway, what do you feel gives gaming a run for it's money (in regards to the topic)?

On 2/17/2020 at 2:58 PM, Jayson said:

Video gaming can be fun.  However, web development, music, 3D art creation or melding your hobby with web development (creating an art of music website) can be just as fun for some people.  Well, I suppose it's a subjective issue with many different opinions.

Anyway, what do you feel gives gaming a run for it's money (in regards to the topic)?

That would be pretty off topic because gaming and development both have their own shares of drawbacks which we can't discuss context in the gaming forum. 

On 2/17/2020 at 3:28 AM, Jayson said:

51.gif