Register Now
StaceyPowers

If you don't play online games, what are your reasons?

Over here, @The Blackangel mentions a dislike of online gaming. I too currently do not play any online games.

I was wondering who else here avoids multiplayer gaming, and if so, why?

Sometimes I play Q3A or UT2004, but it's almost exclusively on the LAN. I used to be a very dedicated player on a MUD, but that was back in high school. Since then, I simply never found one I liked. It was like it had to be just the right community for me to be compelled by it. Plus, playing MUDs is too time-consuming with my adult responsibilities.

So why don’t I play any other types of online games? Well, I play single player games at night to unwind in a zero-pressure environment that feels safe and controlled to me. That means dealing with other people is not something I want to do. Therefore, even though I’m sure I’d find some online games fun, I just don’t play them.

If you avoid online games, why do you do so?

In past my limit with internet prevented me from the multiplayer games. But now that I have enough internet, I think it's good to make the most out of it and play and jump in like most game reviewers do. I think for me the reason was limit in terms of tech. specifically the bandwidth. 

22 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Usually it's cause I have no friends to play with but I do play alot of Destiny 2 with my friends.

How is Destiny 2 coming along since they split from Activision? Well, I guess they'll be far better off because they can't be pressured by them into adding excessive microtransactions anymore.

Well, the biggest reason is no time.  However, also, my connection is via a satellite - and, unfortunately, those connections are fast for movie downloads and surfing - but not gaming.  Well, streaming video is somewhat possible - but for some reason, a satellite simply cannot handle gaming.

Edited by Jayson

On 10/7/2019 at 5:36 AM, Jayson said:

Well, the biggest reason is no time.  However, also, my connection is via a satellite - and, unfortunately, those connections are fast for movie downloads and surfing - but not gaming.  Well, streaming video is somewhat possible - but for some reason, a satellite simply cannot handle gaming.

I think that is genuine. Life is a bit short. And time is scarce for many of us. Giving time to what matters is fine too. 

On 10/12/2019 at 3:48 PM, Alyxx said:

Usually it's cause I prefer playing with friends or the games simply don't interest me.

Same here although you do meet some pretty awesome people in random matchups sometime. I remember when I used to play Fortnite and I once got paired up with a redneck that said this like every time he killed someone - "I cleaned yur bacon/s!" The accent along with what he said left the whole team in stitches throughout the match and the worst part is he had a chicken that sleeps in his house. We heard the chicken once or twice in the background trying to get his attention and he was like "Rupert! No! You can't have bird seeds before bed! I don't want you to paint the couch white!"

On 10/14/2019 at 11:35 PM, Alyxx said:

Yeah, the only games I've played publicly are Call of Duty and Blacklight Retribution. I usually tend to stick to co-op games with friends otherwise like Destiny 2.

I haven't touched Blacklight Retribution in ages! It was one of my favorite online FPS back in 2013 although it had it fair share of issues. I missed the old COD online chats where you could say anything and get away with it. Most of these new COD fans wouldn't last a day in those chatrooms.

6 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I haven't touched Blacklight Retribution in ages! It was one of my favorite online FPS back in 2013 although it had it fair share of issues. I missed the old COD online chats where you could say anything and get away with it. Most of these new COD fans wouldn't last a day in those chatrooms.

Yeah Blacklight Retribution was my go to shooter for a while. Really fun game.