Register Now
StaceyPowers

Best and worst eras for various developers and publishers?

On 10/28/2019 at 1:14 PM, The Blackangel said:

I don’t think this age is easier for developers. Expectations have gotten so high for games that it’s next to impossible to meet those expectations. Everyone expects life like graphics, worlds bigger than the real world, abilities that are almost godlike, and speeds that are so fast that they can virtually anticipate your decisions before you make them, just to name a few things. Now rewind 25-30 years, when we were in the 8-16 bit eras. People didn’t have unrealistic expectations for the graphics, game size, speed, and abilities. It was about an enjoyable game, not a cosmetic game. Why else do you think sequels take so long to come out now? Unrealistic expectations. If we, as gamers, would back off on our demands of the industry, we would get better games more regularly. But sadly, I don’t see that happening any time soon.

I agree with that, expectations are very high for games nowadays.

On 10/27/2019 at 4:37 AM, Alyxx said:

That's what made EA special in the 80's. They actually were the first publisher that straight up put the developers in the spotlight, releasing games in record style LP sleeves with artwork that highlighted the talented people behind the games.

Nowadays, developers can look forward to the fun and recognition that is crunch time. I don't know how long ago crunch time started though. Was it a thing back then?

On 10/28/2019 at 1:14 PM, The Blackangel said:

I don’t think this age is easier for developers. Expectations have gotten so high for games that it’s next to impossible to meet those expectations. Everyone expects life like graphics, worlds bigger than the real world, abilities that are almost godlike, and speeds that are so fast that they can virtually anticipate your decisions before you make them, just to name a few things. Now rewind 25-30 years, when we were in the 8-16 bit eras. People didn’t have unrealistic expectations for the graphics, game size, speed, and abilities. It was about an enjoyable game, not a cosmetic game. Why else do you think sequels take so long to come out now? Unrealistic expectations. If we, as gamers, would back off on our demands of the industry, we would get better games more regularly. But sadly, I don’t see that happening any time soon.

I agree that expectations do seem quite ludicrous these days. And I like what you say about "an enjoyable game, not a cosmetic game." I put a lot of bank in atmosphere, but that isn't quite the same thing as insane production quality (there are many older titles that have atmosphere through the roof, despite technical limitations). Your thoughts also remind me of how I feel about a lot of TV nowadays. I love beautiful cinematography and CG, but I'd actually rather have less expensive shows that stay more closely with characters and focus more on just letting story, dialogue and performance drive narratives forward.

On 10/31/2019 at 6:47 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Nowadays, developers can look forward to the fun and recognition that is crunch time. I don't know how long ago crunch time started though. Was it a thing back then?

I agree that expectations do seem quite ludicrous these days. And I like what you say about "an enjoyable game, not a cosmetic game." I put a lot of bank in atmosphere, but that isn't quite the same thing as insane production quality (there are many older titles that have atmosphere through the roof, despite technical limitations). Your thoughts also remind me of how I feel about a lot of TV nowadays. I love beautiful cinematography and CG, but I'd actually rather have less expensive shows that stay more closely with characters and focus more on just letting story, dialogue and performance drive narratives forward.

Crunch time has been in the Gaming Industry from the late 90s/early 2000s or possibly even earlier. The late 90s were the first time I had ever heard of the practice in the gaming industry.