Register Now
StaceyPowers

What do you love to do in video games that you can't do IRL?

An obvious big part of the appeal of video games is that they offer us a chance to do things we can never do in real life. This can include some obvious and unobvious things.

For me, these are the things that I love being able to do in games that I can’t do in real life:

• Shoot and blow people up without harming anyone (let’s just get that out of the way =D)
  • Travel! I do not have the health or the money or time to do this in real life. While gaming is not a replacement for RL travel, the process and experience of exploration is very real, and that does make it a sort of travel.
  • Do stuff without worrying about my pain levels too much (I usually feel better at night when I play, and if I have to stop, it's as simple as putting away the controller--that's much easier than coming back home from some activity I had to travel to).
  • Make easy, reliable cash. It is so great not worrying about where money will come from in Skyrim or Fallout. I don’t have to loot every body and container, but I usually do, because I can. It isn’t that easy IRL, so it feels cathartic and reassuring in-game.
  • Create a customized house/land. I spend a lot of time arranging things in my houses in Skyrim and Fallout.
  • Take care of people. In Skyrim and Fallout, I can move people into my house and be their provider. I am a provider IRL too, but in the video games, I can do it with more confidence and less uncertainty.
  • Enjoy a sense of family. While I have family/friends IRL, there are relationship gaps, especially where having a sense of “community” is concerned. I can enjoy that sense of community in some video games.
  • Find new places to call home. “Home” for me has never been just one place IRL. But I get a sense of “home” in some games too, so virtual locations to add where I feel safe and surrounded by a supportive environment.
  • Watch endless sunsets and northern lights. Thank you, Skyrim.
  • Feel like I can change the world. I feel like I can hardly dent the injustices in the real world, but in video games, I get the satisfaction of making peoples’ lives better.

What about you? What do you love doing in video games that you can’t do in real life?

@kingpotato @killamch89 @kingpotato @Alyxx @The Blackangel @Jayson @skyfire

1) Walk and Run
2) Use a sword
3) Be a strong, powerful woman instead of a weak cripple
4) Disappear from the world when I want to be alone
5) Be thought well of instead of looked down upon by literally everyone I've ever known

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment.

17 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

1) Walk and Run
2) Use a sword
3) Be a strong, powerful woman instead of a weak cripple
4) Disappear from the world when I want to be alone
5) Be thought well of instead of looked down upon by literally everyone I've ever known

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment.

I can't reasonably claim to really know you, but from what I see of you in glimpses here, I see someone I respect who has inner power that a lot of people couldn't imagine, because most people can't truly empathize with the daily challenge you face just waking up and living your life.

2 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

I can't reasonably claim to really know you, but from what I see of you in glimpses here, I see someone I respect who has inner power that a lot of people couldn't imagine, because most people can't truly empathize with the daily challenge you face just waking up and living your life.

All I can really say to that is Thank You. I respect you a lot as well. You come off as a strong woman, who doesn't back down from your convictions and morals. That is something I like.

11 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

All I can really say to that is Thank You. I respect you a lot as well. You come off as a strong woman, who doesn't back down from your convictions and morals. That is something I like.

Thank you too. Coming from you, it means a lot to me.

21 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

A joke I read one time was ”If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they would eventually find me attractive.“

Eh, I would never go into a relationship based solely on a guy's wealth. I need some deeper connection.

1 hour ago, Alyxx said:

Eh, I would never go into a relationship based solely on a guy's wealth. I need some deeper connection.

You and me both. Financial stability is nice if you can achieve it, but when getting into a relationship the bank account shouldn't even be on the radar. If you don't have a connection other than that, then there is no relationship. It's a sugar daddy/mama situation.

31 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

You and me both. Financial stability is nice if you can achieve it, but when getting into a relationship the bank account shouldn't even be on the radar. If you don't have a connection other than that, then there is no relationship. It's a sugar daddy/mama situation.

Which isn't a good basis for a relationship. Sure the money is nice but this is someone you're choosing to spend your life with, so you better be sure it's someone who you are compatible with.