Register Now
kingpotato

PS5 might not be fully retro compatible

When the PS5 was originally announce it was confirmed that it will be retro compatible with all PS4 games, now its possible that not all PS4 games will be retro compatible at launch, and probably not all PS4 games will be retro compatible ever. Hopefully this is not the case. The sad part is that some of your games that you already purchased are not going to work on your new console, this actually happened to me with some of my Xbox 360 games.The retro compatible program with XBOX ONE-/360 already ended and some games where left out of the program such as GTA V, Skyrim and Batman Arkham City.

What do you guys think about these issues with Retro compatible consoles ?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case because they want users to buy the new games on the current console rather than spend far less money on console games of previous generations. The software inside the PS5 is theoretically able to run games as far back as the original PS (it was confirmed in a patent report some time ago) but they always refuse to go this route because of profit.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case because they want users to buy the new games on the current console rather than spend far less money on console games of previous generations. The software inside the PS5 is theoretically able to run games as far back as the original PS (it was confirmed in a patent report some time ago) but they always refuse to go this route because of profit.

True, it all about the damn money, I mean the problem comes when you get some games digitally but then they are not playable on the new console so basically that game is trash because you cant resale it, they need to work on that, the ps2 was able to run any game from the ps1 and that was a console that came out 20 years ago.

11 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Wouldn't they sell more consoles if people could also play older games on them? Just makes more sense to me...

Over time, those players would only buy one console and the older games would come at heavily discounted prices so they'd in fact be losing money whereas getting players to buy the newer games which cost like $50-60 dollars plus DLCs would mean more money for Sony. From a gamer's point of view it'd make sense to do it because you'd possibly get more users of previous consoles to transition but it isn't guaranteed that most of them would ever consider buying many of the newer titles.

I suppose. I just think backwards compatibility has always been a great selling point, just look at the GameBoy Advance, Wii and PS2. All of those systems have sold insane amounts and all of them have had near 100% backwards compatibility with the previous gen.

9 hours ago, Alyxx said:

I suppose. I just think backwards compatibility has always been a great selling point, just look at the GameBoy Advance, Wii and PS2. All of those systems have sold insane amounts and all of them have had near 100% backwards compatibility with the previous gen.

Making the transaction from console to console would be easier if they had full retro-compatibility, but like @killamch89 mentioned they get more money if customers have to repurchase the game, from a business point of view not making all the games backwards compatible is more profitable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

Looking at the above article you can see that the top 4 best selling consoles of all time (excluding the original PlayStation) had backwards compatibility to a near 100% degree with the previous generation. So backwards compatibility is still a strong selling point for pushing hardware if we're judging by historic sales numbers.

Lacking backwards compatibility might push more software sales but I doubt it's gonna result in increased console sales especially since the hardware gap between generations is becoming much less noticeable on modern consoles and people might be fine with owning a game on their current console. Even more so a backwards compatible console would sell more so you'd need less consoles plugged up.

Edited by Alyxx

Just now, Alyxx said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

Looking at the above article you can see that the top 4 best selling consoles of all time (excluding the original PlayStation) had backwards compatibility to a near 100% degree with the previous generation. So backwards compatibility is still a strong selling point for pushing hardware if we're judging by historic sales numbers.

Lacking backwards compatibility might push more software sales but I doubt it's gonna result in increased console sales especially since the hardware gap between generations is becoming much less noticeable on modern consoles and people might be fine with owning a game on their current console. Even more so a backwards compatible console would sell more so you'd need less consoles plugged up.

And the technology wasnt even that complicated, for example the Ps2 had fully functional PS1 console inside it, so in terms of of hardware and software they didnt had to emulate a whole console like the Xbox One had to do.

That's a good point although my point was to bring up how backwards compatibility is a trait among the highest selling consoles of all time so if they really wanna push console sales that's something to consider.

I'm not saying backwards compatibility is an easy addition and even if you could add hardware from the previous gen into a console as a legacy layer it still costs money. emulation might actually be the cheaper option given you don't need to manufacture the old chipsets for new consoles.

Just now, Alyxx said:

That's a good point although my point was to bring up how backwards compatibility is a trait among the highest selling consoles of all time so if they really wanna push console sales that's something to consider.

I'm not saying backwards compatibility is an easy addition and even if you could add hardware from the previous gen into a console as a legacy layer it still costs money. emulation might actually be the cheaper option given you don't need to manufacture the old chipsets for new consoles.

Oh yes being backwards is a huge selling point, Well here is another point to consider the PS4 was not retro-compatible  and it sold very well mostly because of its good exclusives, the problem is that Sony realize that the new consoles dont need to be fully retro-compatible, as long as they had good games they know the console will sell well, for the up copming generation Sony admitted that a lot of people purchased and some still are still purchasing PS4 consoles so giving support and being retro compatible is the right option for them.

1 hour ago, Alyxx said:

In one of the PS5 patents leaked earlier this year if I am not mistaken they had some kind of emulation software capable of theoretically playing games as far back as the original PS.so they could have easily done if they wanted. What I suspect is what I mentioned before about profit margins in addition to some brand new accessories coming out for the PS5 that may not be compatible with most previous generation games.

58 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

In one of the PS5 patents leaked earlier this year if I am not mistaken they had some kind of emulation software capable of theoretically playing games as far back as the original PS.so they could have easily done if they wanted. What I suspect is what I mentioned before about profit margins in addition to some brand new accessories coming out for the PS5 that may not be compatible with most previous generation games.

The thing is that hardware nowadays is so scalable that emulating older systems shouldn't be that hard either.