Register Now
kingpotato

PS5 might not be fully retro compatible

That's why PC is the way to go. Pretty much every game ever released for PC can be played on Windows 10. It might require some workarounds or patches, but it's possible. Console manufacturers, however, can and do arbitrarily restrict games from running on their latest hardware.

I can't argue with anything you said. But there's one thing you did leave out. A lot of us are on an extremely thin budget and even with trying to save up, simply can't afford a decent PC to game on. My PC is a cheap all-in-one PC. It's all I could afford, and is absolutely horrible for gaming. But with consoles you can get a used one for a lot less money than a new one, and don't need to keep upgrading your console to keep up with the games released on PC. They release games to fit that consoles capabilities, until they release the next edition in the line. I mean PlayStation doesn't do anything with the PS2 anymore, and Nintendo doesn't do anything with the N64 anymore. They've moved on to bigger things. Now all this doesn't apply so much to me personally, because I'm a classic gamer with a bit of PS3 games in the mix. But still, it's hard not to admit.

I'm not actually that bothered about backwards compatibility. It's a great and always welcome feature and I'm always glad to see it included, but I don't see the point on buying a next generation console to play old games. I'm as guilty of buying remasters and re-releases as much as anyone, but I only do so if there is something to distinguish these versions. Just playing the exact same version of the exact same game on a brand-new console only make if there's hardware issues with your old system, and that's why it's a good feature, but it's not a system seller for me.

I would only buy a copy of a game that I already have on a new gen system if it fixes issues with the game. For example, from what I have gathered here, the PS3 Skyrim is buggy as hell. But when they released it for PS4, a lot of the bugs had been fixed, and the gameplay was smoother. Not perfect mind you, but a more enjoyable experience all around.

True PC is a better option for gaming, but I just cant afford it xD, I have been looking into it and a good gaming laptop will cost me around 1000 dollars, maybe less if its a PC (I'm no expert so dont judge me 😆) For me a console is a better option, nowadays a good gaming console will cost 300 dollars or less and it will already come with one or a few games, and a console at launch will cost around 400-500 dollars, half the price of a good gaming PC, if I had the money to spare I would definitely invest in a PC, Sadly I'm an adult and I have to pay bills. The Retro-compatibility feature is a selling point for me because I already own many games on PS4 and I dont want to invest on them again, and still I might not get a ps5 until the elder scrolls 6 comes out

On 3/15/2020 at 8:42 AM, The Blackangel said:

I can't argue with anything you said. But there's one thing you did leave out. A lot of us are on an extremely thin budget and even with trying to save up, simply can't afford a decent PC to game on. My PC is a cheap all-in-one PC. It's all I could afford, and is absolutely horrible for gaming. But with consoles you can get a used one for a lot less money than a new one, and don't need to keep upgrading your console to keep up with the games released on PC. They release games to fit that consoles capabilities, until they release the next edition in the line. I mean PlayStation doesn't do anything with the PS2 anymore, and Nintendo doesn't do anything with the N64 anymore. They've moved on to bigger things. Now all this doesn't apply so much to me personally, because I'm a classic gamer with a bit of PS3 games in the mix. But still, it's hard not to admit.

There are used PC builds for ridiculously cheap that can still run a formidable amount of games. Even if you're playing AAA titles, you can still get relatively good performance on a budget rig that rivals the price of new-gen consoles. Remember that consoles don't magically run games better than PCs; games on console are specifically stripped down to run better on the less powerful hardware of consoles, specifically when you get closer to a console's end of life. Lowering the graphic settings on a PC just makes it look more like it would on the console. It's also more economical to spend more on a PC than to buy a console as well as a less powerful PC when you consider the fact that a PC can do everything under the sun,  while a console is meant to do only one thing.

Edited by MeowsePad

7 hours ago, MeowsePad said:

There are used PC builds for ridiculously cheap that can still run a formidable amount of games. Even if you're playing AAA titles, you can still get relatively good performance on a budget rig that rivals the price of new-gen consoles. Remember that consoles don't magically run games better than PCs; games on console are specifically stripped down to run better on the less powerful hardware of consoles, specifically when you get closer to a console's end of life. Lowering the graphic settings on a PC just makes it look more like it would on the console. It's also more economical to spend more on a PC than to buy a console as well as a less powerful PC when you consider the fact that a PC can do everything under the sun,  while a console is meant to do only one thing.

But that's precisely my point. The console IS meant to do only one thing. As such, they are able to concentrate more on the game itself, because that's all the console is crafted to do. Whereas a PC is set up to do hundreds of other things on top of gaming.

Edited by The Blackangel

giphy.gif

I am so sick of people that make the claim that:

Even if you're playing AAA titles, you can still get relatively good performance on a budget rig that rivals the price of new-gen consoles.

If you had the slightest clue what you where talking about you would know that's nonsense.

You know what, prove It!  Go to PC Part Picker and just try to assemble a build that is a rough match for the XBox One X for it's current price on Amazon.com which is $450 new.  Or if you truly can buy used PC parts for that "ridiculously cheap", try to match the current second hand price which is about $250 - $300.

8 hours ago, MeowsePad said:

There are used PC builds for ridiculously cheap that...

No, no, no! Hold it there. Whatever it is you were about to say is completely invalidated by what you posted on @The Blackangel's Skyrim thread;

8 hours ago, MeowsePad said:

I don't pay much attention to other platforms. I only know about it if it's on PC for the most part. #pcmasterrace

Nobody who proudly flaunts that fanboy flag deserves to have their opinion on subjects like this so much as heard, much less taken seriously. Besides, you said yourself, you pay no attention to other platforms, so it's fair to assume you know piss all about consoles anyway. And the fact you think you can have a PC that will match a next gen console for the same money (OK, I did read the whole post, I was just making a point) proves you know nothing about PC hardware either. You can't even do with current gen consoles. By all means though, please take on @Crazycrab's challenge. The results will no doubt be hilarious.

Edited by Shagger