Register Now
StaceyPowers

Are your partners/spouses/family/roommates supportive of your gaming?

I was reading @Alyxx, @The Blackangel and @skyfire chatting about what they look for and don't in relationships, and it got me thinking about gaming and relationships of all kinds.

For those of you who live with someone else, whether it be a partner or spouse, a family member, or a friend or roommate, how does gaming impact your relationship, if at all, and how does your relationship impact your gaming?

Do you game together? Did you meet your partner gaming? Does the person you live with support and understand your gaming, or do they complain you game too much and/or you need to use a silent keyboard to play without waking them up at night?

Edited by StaceyPowers

My partner is mostly into console games and our tastes are fairly different so we don't really play much together, if at all. I do play a lot of games with @kira1331 who is my partner as well though (polyamorous relationship) so it does help having a partner who is as much of a gamer as you. Heck she was the one who gifted me a Nintendo Switch.

My girlfriend is very supportive , we dont play together much because she doesnt like FPS or big open world RPGs , she is more into Nintendo games like Mario or Zelda games. The only thing that she doesnt like is that sometimes I spend to much time playing videogames.

3 hours ago, kingpotato said:

My girlfriend is very supportive , we dont play together much because she doesnt like FPS or big open world RPGs , she is more into Nintendo games like Mario or Zelda games. The only thing that she doesnt like is that sometimes I spend to much time playing videogames.

My boyfriend is the same. He's not really into FPS's due to the point of view. He does like RPG's though.

We both game a lot, but our tastes are very different. She's hooked on FF14, and I'm a classic gamer. Sometimes I burn out on one game and switch systems. But since we tend to both play 1 player games, with the exception of her online gaming, we never have anything to game together with. It hasn't affected our relationship in any drastic way. We just do what we enjoy. 

On 10/13/2019 at 2:37 AM, Alyxx said:

My boyfriend is the same. He's not really into FPS's due to the point of view. He does like RPG's though.

It's so funny how differently people react to first vs third person POV. I'm just the opposite of your boyfriend. I have to force myself to deal with third person. FPS feels so much more comfortable and immersive for me.

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

It's so funny how differently people react to first vs third person POV. I'm just the opposite of your boyfriend. I have to force myself to deal with third person. FPS feels so much more comfortable and immersive for me.

It depends on the game - in games like Skyrim and Fallout I always tend to play them in 3rd person but in FPS, I prefer the first person view.

4 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I'm fine with both to be honest since I've played a pretty even amount of both. I tend to prefer third person for any platforming though, it just doesn't feel as right in first person.

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Well, my mother didn't stop me from playing -  she just always thought it was a waste of time and she's entitled to her opinion.

Fair enough. My mom never liked violent games so she was always kinda against them, but didn't stop me from playing them once I was old enough to pass the rating on the box.

11 hours ago, Alyxx said:

I'm fine with both to be honest since I've played a pretty even amount of both. I tend to prefer third person for any platforming though, it just doesn't feel as right in first person.

Fair enough. My mom never liked violent games so she was always kinda against them, but didn't stop me from playing them once I was old enough to pass the rating on the box.

I agree that I prefer platforming in the third person view although I'll make an exception for Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out...

51 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I agree that I prefer platforming in the third person view although I'll make an exception for Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out...

Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't seem to have much platforming from what I've seen.