Register Now
StaceyPowers

Gaming subscriptions

@kingpotato was mentioning he can't afford a PS Plus subscription, and I started to wonder how many people here do and don't have gaming subscriptions. For those of you who do pay for them, which ones do you have, and which do you feel give you the best bang for your buck? For those who don't, what stops you aside from simply not having the money to subscribe?

I’ve never had a gaming service subscription, but I think in my case it probably just doesn’t make a lot of sense—and not just because I’m a generation behind. I tend to play mostly large open world games, and it just makes more sense to spend a few bucks to buy them used and own them than to pay for a subscription service I won’t get that much use from.

For me aside from not able to afford it is also an unnecessary expense, I live by myself so I have to pay bills, rent and groceries and sometimes I dont have the time to play videogames, so I dont want to be paying for a service that Im not going to use that often. Still if I had the money and time I would gladly get a subscription for PS plus, I did had a subscription for Xbox Live for many years but that was back when I was a teenager and obviously my parents paid for it xD

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

For me aside from not able to afford it is also an unnecessary expense, I live by myself so I have to pay bills, rent and groceries and sometimes I dont have the time to play videogames, so I dont want to be paying for a service that Im not going to use that often. Still if I had the money and time I would gladly get a subscription for PS plus, I did had a subscription for Xbox Live for many years but that was back when I was a teenager and obviously my parents paid for it xD

I've been using my PS Vita consistently for years and my Switch is being used frequently so for me it's worth it.

2 hours ago, skyfire said:

I prefer microtransactions in the mobile legends because that way I don't end up spending much as well. I think gaming subs are not for me. I may go for the movie streaming sort of stuff. 

Yeah I pay movie streaming subs as well. I thought by streaming you meant Twitch subs.

1 minute ago, killamch89 said:

Who actually pays for that? I would never even pay for Youtube Red - although I doubt there is anything on that platform...

There is Cobra Kai. That's about it as far as I can tell. Cobra Kai is amazing. But I am majorly irritated at paying for YT Red/Premium anytime I feel like re-watching it. 

On 10/13/2019 at 7:46 AM, skyfire said:

I am at stage where I already have too many streaming subs. And I can't afford the gaming subscription. I don't know how to handle those subs anymore. 

I'm in the same boat as you. I am finally catching up on current TV and recent TV with streaming subscriptions (after avoiding them for years), and that's definitely all I can budget in terms of subscriptions. Although, it sure is a lot less expensive than cable TV (which I have never paid for in my life).

1 minute ago, StaceyPowers said:

There is Cobra Kai. That's about it as far as I can tell. Cobra Kai is amazing. But I am majorly irritated at paying for YT Red/Premium anytime I feel like re-watching it. 

I'm in the same boat as you. I am finally catching up on current TV and recent TV with streaming subscriptions (after avoiding them for years), and that's definitely all I can budget in terms of subscriptions. Although, it sure is a lot less expensive than cable TV (which I have never paid for in my life).

For some reason I forgot about Netflix but maybe because I tend to count it as part of the necessary bills and not a luxury🤣  What the hell is Cobra Kai? Sounds either like a Martial Arts series or a G.I. Joe side-story about Cobra Commander?!

3 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

For some reason I forgot about Netflix but maybe because I tend to count it as part of the necessary bills and not a luxury🤣  What the hell is Cobra Kai? Sounds either like a Martial Arts series or a G.I. Joe side-story about Cobra Commander?!

It's a sequel to the Karate Kid series from the 80s that picks back up with the main characters (and original actors) when they are middle aged. It was the kind of thing that was either going to be awful or wonderful, and it is absolutely wonderful. Some of the best writing I've seen in a while.

4 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

It's a sequel to the Karate Kid series from the 80s that picks back up with the main characters (and original actors) when they are middle aged. It was the kind of thing that was either going to be awful or wonderful, and it is absolutely wonderful. Some of the best writing I've seen in a while.

I remember Karate kid! Glad to see a sequel to a popular series from the 80s not be obviously ruined.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Who actually pays for that? I would never even pay for Youtube Red - although I doubt there is anything on that platform...

Depends on the streamer I suppose. I'm already subbing to people on Patreon so I don't feel the need to add more twitch subs to the mix.