Register Now
StaceyPowers

Dying on purpose in video games

Do you ever find yourself just standing around waiting to die in video games for practical reasons (or actively trying to die)? If so, in what games, and to what end?

• In BioShocks 1 and 2, sometimes dying to get the free salts/health refills was the most cost-effective resource management strategy for me (yes, this says nothing flattering about my skills), so I would just wait to die if I was near death. Somewhat embarrassingly, there were a couple of fights that I pretty much fought from The Vita Chambers.
  • If I lose a follower or a pet (like my horse in RDR), I just die and reload to get them back.
  • I used to get myself killed in a MUD I played on a regular basis because it included an underworld/afterlife zone that was super cool to explore and hang out in, and my RP involved my character's obsession with the place and with the god of death.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah I did this a lot in Dead space 2, some times I got a level where the enemies where too strong but my resources low so I died on purpose to go back to the beginning of the chapter to explore and loot some more.

Classic situation. I've done that too in FPS games where I've played on hard difficulty and have wasted too many resources.

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I do it for stupid reasons as well - I've done it in online games to piss off my team especially if they are a bunch of douches. I used to do it in Modern Warfare all the while and I'd be called all kinds of names🤣

Nice troll lol

I used to piss people off when I ran around with akimbo smgs.

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Trolling online is great pass time - the non malicious kind anyways because it always gets under the tryhards skin...

Yeah, I've never been a pro player and always just played for fun which pissed the more serious players off. I would never play fair either. If someone were sniping I would run up on them from behind with akimbo machine pistols and shoot them like an idiot.

11 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Yeah, I've never been a pro player and always just played for fun which pissed the more serious players off. I would never play fair either. If someone were sniping I would run up on them from behind with akimbo machine pistols and shoot them like an idiot.

I'm like "why are you taking this so seriously? It's just a game bro. Aren't games supposed to be fun whether winning or losing?" 🤣 It really pisses them off when I say that.

52 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I'm like "why are you taking this so seriously? It's just a game bro. Aren't games supposed to be fun whether winning or losing?" 🤣 It really pisses them off when I say that.

Now I remember WingsOfRedemption screaming how much he hates losing.

On 10/12/2019 at 3:31 PM, Alyxx said:

Most of the time it's when I do something I know I will regret for the rest of the game like in RPG's or have gotten stuck in level geometry.

When I do something I regret in an RPG I almost never die and reload to fix it. I think I did it one time, but I can't remember what it was I found so unacceptable--oh wait. Yes I can. It was when I murdered Mr. House in New Vegas. Ironically, I wound up killing him anyway when I reloaded, because he didn't really give me a viable alternative even though I didn't want to do it. Usually when I make an RPG choice I regret,  I live with the consequences, because I feel like it's a chance for me to learn from the mistake. Plus, I can look forward to doing it differently next time.

Stuck in level geometry - do you mean like when you jump behind an object that there is no way to get back around again, so you're trapped? 

On 10/13/2019 at 1:04 AM, kingpotato said:

some times I got a level where the enemies where too strong but my resources low so I died on purpose to go back to the beginning of the chapter to explore and loot some more.

Oh man, I always worry about that in games that auto-save and don't allow me to create save points. Sometimes I'll also strategically die to go back to the last checkpoint, because I'm worried if I progress without the resources I'll be up a creek without a paddle.