Register Now
StaceyPowers

Dying on purpose in video games

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

When I do something I regret in an RPG I almost never die and reload to fix it. I think I did it one time, but I can't remember what it was I found so unacceptable--oh wait. Yes I can. It was when I murdered Mr. House in New Vegas. Ironically, I wound up killing him anyway when I reloaded, because he didn't really give me a viable alternative even though I didn't want to do it. Usually when I make an RPG choice I regret,  I live with the consequences, because I feel like it's a chance for me to learn from the mistake. Plus, I can look forward to doing it differently next time.

Stuck in level geometry - do you mean like when you jump behind an object that there is no way to get back around again, so you're trapped? 

Oh man, I always worry about that in games that auto-save and don't allow me to create save points. Sometimes I'll also strategically die to go back to the last checkpoint, because I'm worried if I progress without the resources I'll be up a creek without a paddle.

True, you dont need to die on purpose if there is a lot of checkpoints or autosave , but there are games like this where there is no way to progress whitout being fully prepared.

10 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

True, you dont need to die on purpose if there is a lot of checkpoints or autosave , but there are games like this where there is no way to progress whitout being fully prepared.

That's exactly what I meant. I think we're talking about the same thing. This is what I fear happening:

-I am low on resources.

-I decide to keep going.

-The game autosaves on me.

-I NEED a critical resource.

-I have no manual saves, so I can't go back. I am stuck forever.

If I am worried about that happening, that is precisely when I'll die on purpose or reload just so  I can try again to get the resources before the game reaches the next checkpoint and screws me.

8 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Stuck in level geometry - do you mean like when you jump behind an object that there is no way to get back around again, so you're trapped? 

Aye. That's what I meant. But yeah usually I either die or just reload a save. If it's an MMO I have no chance but to commit suicide.

On 10/16/2019 at 9:49 PM, skyfire said:

I know many who play the mobile legends so bad that they kind of die when they get into the game and feed themselves to the tower. 

Thats just dumb 😆 I've done it but I wasnt trying to die in purpose, it was just a dumb move xD

On 10/16/2019 at 10:25 PM, Alyxx said:

Aye. That's what I meant. But yeah usually I either die or just reload a save. If it's an MMO I have no chance but to commit suicide.

Oh yeah I've been there, suicide is always the option to go. Unless the glitch also messes up your controllers so in that case I just unplug the console.