Register Now
StaceyPowers

In BioShock Infinite, why did Comstock have artwork of Elizabeth’s journey?

SPOILERS follow:

On a replay of BioShock Infinite, I stumbled on something that confuses me. In the room on the zeppelin right before you go deal with Comstock, there is some artwork on the walls in panels that shows the journey Elizabeth and Booker have taken over the course of the game to reach that moment.

I am not confused about why Comstock knows about those events—I know he was looking through tears at possible futures. My question is, why does he display beautiful artwork proudly of these events? Considering what’s about to happen to him, it’s utterly bizarre. All I can come up with is:

1-Maybe he thinks he will survive the encounter.

2-He’s tired, thinks he’ll win through Elizabeth, and doesn’t care if he survives the encounter.

Or

3-He has a secret deathwish and welcomes his demise/failure.

The last of those would be the most interesting possibility, though he really does seem to have put his all into killing Booker. Then again, a guy with major self-loathing issues and amazing mental compartmentalizing capabilities (consider his racism), I wouldn’t put it past . I mean, he’s literally created his own private hell in Columbia. Being as he wants to punish himself, maybe he also secretly wants to clear the debt. I thought this theory was outlandish until I just finished Burial at Sea Part 1, wherein there was at least one Comstock seeking redemption (and forgetfulness, yes--but via Sally, definitely self-improvement).

Thoughts?

@DylanC @skyfire

It's the game designers jizzing over how clever and artsy they are so they wanna show off how everything has been one big time travel thing just for the sake of it.

Look nothing in that game made any story sense to me. It literally felt like they just wrote it to make people go "mind blown".

Edited by Alyxx

7 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Its probably the third option, he already knows that regardless of the variables the outcome is his death and he wants to "clear the debt"

I actually felt like this is the farthest-fetched theory I came up with, but still viable. I’m surprised you think it is the most likely possibility. But I suppose just as there is the latent potential for Comstock in Booker, there is the latent potential for Booker in Comstock.

13 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I actually felt like this is the farthest-fetched theory I came up with, but still viable. I’m surprised you think it is the most likely possibility. But I suppose just as there is the latent potential for Comstock in Booker, there is the latent potential for Booker in Comstock.

I'm just thinking outloud xD To be honest I didnt paid much attention to the pictures when I saw it, I had to google it after I saw this thread, but it makes sense that Comstock was sure of the outcome (whether he was going to win or loose) when he displayed the artwork.