Register Now
kingpotato

Physical copies of games with only a code inside

Here is something that I dont understand, Why release a physical copy if there is not going to be nothing in it ? I've seen this with Fortnite Freeze bundle, Spyro trilogy remastered who only had 1st game physical and the other 3 had to be downloaded and the upcoming Apex Legends physical edition that only has skins in it for one character. I dont understand the need to waste plastic like this.

https://www.vgr.com/physical-copies-overwatch-nintendo-dont-include-cartridge/

I'm also stumped by the logic behind this practice - I mean, it is costing them money to purchase those cases and they're shipping out millions of them so that's a couple million dollars down the drain. Or maybe, they just want you to keep the case as a souvenir...(closest thing to a somewhat logical answer).

11 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think box packs these days are nothing but wastage of resources. Most of the games depending on internet, it's waste of money to make box copies of them. 

That's very true - as I said to @Alyxx earlier you could use them to make a pyramid when you're bored out of your mind or use it as a make-shift stand for a projector.

18 hours ago, killamch89 said:

What would you do with the box though? Do you take a couple of them and try to make a pyramid out of them or...

I would assume it's more for collectors who want a physical copy on the shelf.

On 10/28/2019 at 10:44 PM, killamch89 said:

That's very true - as I said to @Alyxx earlier you could use them to make a pyramid when you're bored out of your mind or use it as a make-shift stand for a projector.

Haha in some cases they can also be used to hold your cash and then you can place them in some odd position less accessible to others. 

6 hours ago, skyfire said:

Haha in some cases they can also be used to hold your cash and then you can place them in some odd position less accessible to others. 

That's a pretty good idea actually. I mean, who is going to look in a gaming case to see if you'd hide money in there?

It's just putting more waste and pollution into the planet. If they want to sell in a store, then they should just have you go to the counter, the person behind it scans the code for the game you want, and on your receipt is the code you need to download the game you just bought. That would save time, money and resources. And it would make money for game stores. Because they would no longer have to tell customers that they are out of a certain game. They just scan and print a code. Money saved, product sold, pollution down, everyone's happy. The simplest answer is often the best. And those game stores can then use their shelves to hold games for older systems like PS2-PS3 and Xbox-Xbox 360. Maybe even some early cartridge systems.

Let me start with by saying this practice is wrong, utterly wrong, but I have encountered it only once. I found it with Child of Light for PS4, and that's it (Awesome game, BTW). The gaming world will go digital, sooner or later, but consoles have held on to the principle that the buyers rights accosted physical media don't have to disappear. Yes, games are already getting over 100GB on PC, far bigger than a Blue Ray or an affordable Cartridge, so big downloads and online connectivity are a part of this now. However, buying games on physical media, even with the massive download installs you get these days, still grants you rights that game publishers just don't want you to have. That's why physical game media will die, not because digital is the future, but because it's the future ass-hole publishers want.

This of course only applies to console users because PC users were willing to sacrifice the rights that physical media offered years ago, so no PC gamer holds any right to sympathy over this. Seduced by their oh so precious Steam, they have been willing to accept basic buyers rights on a drip feed because "Praise Gaben". Yes, I'm a PC Gamer, but I'm no PCMR fanboy hypocrite as I consider the lack of physical media and the buyers rights that go with it a huge disadvantage with the platform. I own no game on Steam, just paid retail price for the right to play it. Digital media is paying for access to games, not actually buying them, and that's what publishers want.