Register Now
StaceyPowers

What microtransactions are okay/not okay for you?

In this thread, @Alyxx , @killamch89 and @skyfire were talking about monetizing character customization, and whether or not it is an acceptable idea.

In terms of microtransactions, I sure don’t like the idea of having to pay for character customization, but I definitely know that I would far prefer cosmetic microtransactions rather than those which impact game play. There is nothing worse to me than pay-to-win. I was in a pay-to-win game once where a rich player pretty much “bought” the game in many respects. No one could stand up to him, because he was able to buy so many upgrades.

What types of microtransactions are you okay with, if any? And which do you despise the most?

I don't mind it that much as long as it's viable to grind in-game currency to pay for it. A good example is Borderlands 3 where you can grind Eridium to pay for customization options.

I mind it more when it's kinda pushing you towards paying real money to unlock customizations or there are timed exclusives that you have no way to grind for.

1 minute ago, kingpotato said:

If the game is free to play I dont care or mind any type of micro transactions or price on them as long as they are not pay to win. Now if I'm paying for a full game I dont mind expansions or DLC's, but having the same types of micro transactions that a free game has its unacceptable on a full priced game.

Yeah I agree on that.

On 10/22/2019 at 9:42 AM, kingpotato said:

If the game is free to play I dont care or mind any type of micro transactions or price on them as long as they are not pay to win. Now if I'm paying for a full game I dont mind expansions or DLC's, but having the same types of micro transactions that a free game has its unacceptable on a full priced game.

I mostly agree but I tend to go for none at all because most companies nowadays will pull a Bethesda or EA and start packing everything fun behind a paywall after release.

9 hours ago, skyfire said:

If the game is free, company earns from skins and themes and characters, I am fine by that. 

If the game is paid, company wants to eat more money on levels, skins, characters and the crate. Then no not in favor. 

I mostly agree with you there because you already paid for the game - why do you need to spend more money on subscriptions etc. ?

9 hours ago, skyfire said:

If the game is free, company earns from skins and themes and characters, I am fine by that. 

If the game is paid, company wants to eat more money on levels, skins, characters and the crate. Then no not in favor. 

I agree totally and the worst part is you have to pay $60 dollars just for the base game and then you have to spend more money just to play the game?

I don't like microtransactions. However, I don't mind if developers go down the Battle Pass route or stick to selling skins/characters as long as nothing provided to users that pay for them will give a benefit. So as long as everything is strictly cosmetic and not pay-to-win, I'm fine. Saying that, if I'm paying full price for a game then I expect them to not have any additional costs unless it's DLC. It's annoying when they try to get more money out of you.

58 minutes ago, Darth said:

I don't like microtransactions. However, I don't mind if developers go down the Battle Pass route or stick to selling skins/characters as long as nothing provided to users that pay for them will give a benefit. So as long as everything is strictly cosmetic and not pay-to-win, I'm fine. Saying that, if I'm paying full price for a game then I expect them to not have any additional costs unless it's DLC. It's annoying when they try to get more money out of you.

I totally agree with you there - I mean last year's call of Duty after the DLC costs and all the other stuff was over $200 and that is without buying any cosmetics.

On 11/4/2019 at 4:21 AM, killamch89 said:

I agree totally and the worst part is you have to pay $60 dollars just for the base game and then you have to spend more money just to play the game?

Yes it is like 10$ for game on android, 2$ for hero, 2$ to  crate for season 1, episode 1 and then this goes on and on.