Register Now
StaceyPowers

Character customization – what do you like to be able to customize?

@killamch89 and @Alyxx were talking here about how important character customization is to their experience of a game. I am wondering how important character customization is to everyone here, and what aspects of it you care about the most.

I used to not care much about character customization. And if I have to live without it, I’m usually fine with that. But I definitely prefer a system which gives me as much control as possible. Mostly I like being able to make all kinds of little micro-adjustments to my character’s face and hair. I just like designing someone who will be pretty to look at over the course of the game.

If I were playing a game where character customization was driven by microtransactions though, I probably wouldn’t bother with it. I’d just focus on playing the game and not worry about cosmetics.

One thing I do really like is being able to choose my character’s voice, if the character is going to be talking at all. The more voice options there are, the better. If the voice actor’s delivery feels “off,” the entire character feels “off” to me, and harder to connect to.

For an RPG I wants as much customization as possible. This was actually one of my issues with the Witcher 3. The game is awesome, great story and great gameplay, but for Geralt looked the same during the whole month that I played the game, and the armors looked very crappy and there wasnt a lot of options to choose from.

On 10/22/2019 at 9:46 AM, kingpotato said:

For an RPG I wants as much customization as possible. This was actually one of my issues with the Witcher 3. The game is awesome, great story and great gameplay, but for Geralt looked the same during the whole month that I played the game, and the armors looked very crappy and there wasnt a lot of options to choose from.

It's the only issue I have had with the game - I get that it was based on a book series but at least give us a decent amount of customization. I mean look at GTA Sand Andreas and what you could do with CJ. I wonder why that concept never caught on in other games with a single protagonist.

11 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Typically daggers. Two or three spells aren't bad, but ideally I go for a bow with a couple small blades.

I usually play as an elf or some kind of elf hybrid and I am either a mage, a tank or some kind of magic tank hybrid.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

As far as class is concerned I typically prefer either a thief or a ranger. Wildly different, I know, but those are my favorites.

Actually not that different except one is more of a melee character but they are both stealth classes and their skillsets are complimentary.