Register Now
StaceyPowers

Gray area cheating behaviors

@Alyxx posed the question of whether leveling services (i.e. paying another person to log into your account and grind for you) are cheating.

I remember debates about that in the MUDs I used to play. I don’t personally think there is an obvious yes or no answer. It is certainly in the “spirit” of cheating—although technically, someone is still doing the work required—it just isn’t the same person who is doing everything else with the account.

So I wouldn’t call it cheating the same way I would say abusing an exploit would be cheating, or hacking a game … but it’s cheating in the sense that the person themselves will always know they took a shortcut to level.

Another one I thought was in a gray area was bribery. A lot of people in a game I played accused a rich guy of cheating by bribing other players with in-game currency. In my opinion, he was playing the game the way it was designed, particularly given that nobody else needed to take his bribes.

But I could still see the “spirit of cheating” argument here, but if so, to me, the cheat was buying so much in-game currency to begin with using RL money. In a way, all “play to win” games seem like cheats to me for the wealthy. Kind of sucks, being as RL is already pay-to-win, which is exactly what I like to get away from when playing a game.

What are your thoughts?

9 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Aye. That is the entire point...

The memories of how you used to get absolutely massacred by everything that moved in-game to brushing off hits that send you halfway across the map just brings a level of satisfaction that can't quite be described.

Well my concern is more as to "How do you level up", for example like many folks expressed here , leveling up is part of the experience, doing quests and watching your character develop or grow. But grinding is different , you basically have to do the same action over and over until you get desire level, there is no epic experience in grinding, there is no cool storyline or character development , its just simple grinding for leveling purposes. But it all depends as to how the grinding system works, for example Monster hunter is all about grinding, nothing else, but the fights while grinding are cool and epic, not all enemies are the same and you get loot everytime, But grinding in Pokemon is basically go to the area with the highest rate of powerful pokemon and defeat the same type of enemy over and over again.

6 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Well my concern is more as to "How do you level up", for example like many folks expressed here , leveling up is part of the experience, doing quests and watching your character develop or grow. But grinding is different , you basically have to do the same action over and over until you get desire level, there is no epic experience in grinding, there is no cool storyline or character development , its just simple grinding for leveling purposes. But it all depends as to how the grinding system works, for example Monster hunter is all about grinding, nothing else, but the fights while grinding are cool and epic, not all enemies are the same and you get loot everytime, But grinding in Pokemon is basically go to the area with the highest rate of powerful pokemon and defeat the same type of enemy over and over again.

I'll attest to the fact that I've fallen asleep grinding in Pokemon games as a kid - it is torture!

3 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I'll attest to the fact that I've fallen asleep grinding in Pokemon games as a kid - it is torture!

Grinding in the tall grass was always a torture xD I remember checking every corner of the game looking for a trainer that I missed in order to have a proper fight while leveling up.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Grinding in the tall grass was always a torture xD I remember checking every corner of the game looking for a trainer that I missed in order to have a proper fight while leveling up.

And don't even let me get started on the legendary Pokemon...