Register Now
Alyxx

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

We all have that guilty pleasure or that game that we kinda like but it isn't popular to like, or there's a popular game we just can't stand. What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

I am known to have a ton of them. For instance I've given Duke Nukem Forever a 10/10 score based solely on the fact I enjoyed the crap out of it. I also loved Anthem and enjoy Mass Effect Andromeda a great deal. And I thought Amnesia: The Dark Descent was a shit game that wasn't scary or immersive.

Edited by Alyxx

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

I always loved FF8 even though it was probably the most hated game of the entire series because I enjoyed the characters, the storyline and the gameplay.

I'm right there with you on that one. But one for me that I have to admit to, is that I have always liked a lot of the games that LJN put out. People constantly talk shit about LJN, but I have enjoyed the hell out of a lot of their games.

A series that I absolutely hate is Halo. I've given it a couple shots, and hated it each time. I also don't see a logical point to GTA. It's boring and has no actual objective. Unless beating up hookers and running people over is an objective.

And don't even get me started on tetris.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I'm right there with you on that one. But one for me that I have to admit to, is that I have always liked a lot of the games that LJN put out. People constantly talk shit about LJN, but I have enjoyed the hell out of a lot of their games.

A series that I absolutely hate is Halo. I've given it a couple shots, and hated it each time. I also don't see a logical point to GTA. It's boring and has no actual objective. Unless beating up hookers and running people over is an objective.

And don't even get me started on tetris.

Tetris is love! Tetris is life!

I think OoT is considered one of the best because of how Nintendo completely redid absolutely everything Zelda related. They introduced having to travel through time, new items, gold skulltulas, hidden secrets, Epona, new stories, first introduction of the Gerudos and Gorons, and also it was the first full 360° view of a Zelda game. Also it was the first one where you learned different songs for different purposes. So it introduced a hell of a lot to Hyrule. And with the following that Zelda has, there was bound to be one, sooner or later, that was going to be considered one of the best games of all time.

10 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I think OoT is considered one of the best because of how Nintendo completely redid absolutely everything Zelda related. They introduced having to travel through time, new items, gold skulltulas, hidden secrets, Epona, new stories, first introduction of the Gerudos and Gorons, and also it was the first full 360° view of a Zelda game. Also it was the first one where you learned different songs for different purposes. So it introduced a hell of a lot to Hyrule. And with the following that Zelda has, there was bound to be one, sooner or later, that was going to be considered one of the best games of all time.

I agree, its considered one of the best games of all time because it was the first of its kind. Like Doom it revolutionize what gaming was and it opened a path to better games with the same style of gameplay.

21 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

One of the best Zelda games I ever played for sure.

22 hours ago, Alyxx said:

I think Zelda Ocarina of Time is kinda overrated. Not bad I just fail to see why it is considered one of the best games of all time.

It's a game that takes a little while to get going but once it does - it's magic!

This topic needs revival.

I'll start off with one of my unpopular opinions, I have plenty.

Rockstar games can't write likeable, relatable characters. All of their characters are miserable self loathing burlap sacks of turds that are impossible to like or identify with. In GTAIV, GTAV, RDR2, all of their recent games. But the older titles weren't much better either, the only difference is that those games were less character heavy so I didn't care that much either way.

They even managed to make Max Payne an awful unlikeable character in Max Payne3 when they got their hands on the franchise, basically killing it in one stroke. 
The Max Payne of Max Payne 3, is as bad as the Luke Skywalker of the Last Jedi. It's antithetical to the established character, a caricature.

oh dear, I'm a little scared of posting here as my unpopular opinions tend to be very very unpopular and I don't wish to be banned.  but here goes and in no order:-

1:-

Achievements/Trophies.  I feel these are one of the worst additions to gaming in decades for several reasons:  1st they are worthless and meaningless.  I mean whether you have 1 achievement or a million, it makes no difference.  2nd they actually set a bad mindset and instead of playing a game and exploring/discovering things themselves, they simply follow a 'checklist' of things to do set by the devs, hardly my idea of fun. (quite frankly one of the main reasons I bought a Nintendo Switch was because it does not have baked-in Achievements/trophies)

Solution:  If you must have achievements/trophies in games, give them a purpose, right now they are just pointless fluff.   So have it so you can "trade in" your gamerscore or your trophies for things like money off games.  Then there would be a reason to collect these silly things.

2:-

Modern devs think us gamers are morons - Why is it that in most if not all new games, whenever you come across an item you can use, it has a stupid glowing halo?  really devs, really?  Do you think we're too stupid to figure out what items we can and can't use?   and when climbing walls/cliffs.  The ones you can climb up have markings or paint to show us.  Again why??  it ruins the fun, discovering which areas you can climb up was good and you've taken that away from us now and it's all hand-holding and being lead by the nose.

Solution: just damnwell stop it!  We are not idiots, we can figure out where we can climb or what items we can pick up.  even if by trial and error.. just stop it!

3:-

Fps games have grown stale and boring.  I used to love FPS games, both online and single player but I've not bought one in a couple of years now because they've grown so stale and same-y.  If you've played one CoD game, you've pretty much played them all and that goes for the other games too.   The games seem to be getting simplified or dumbed down and it's just the same cookie cutter nonsense over and over.   Go back 10-15 years and you'll find shooters were (on average) vastly more enjoyable and challenging.

Solution: Study older games and stop doing the same old, same old crap just because it's the lazy option and people buy it regardless

4: Single player GAAS (Games as a Service) should be banned.  There is no valid reason why single player games can only be played if you are online.  That is an utter joke and a scam because when the servers are shut down, your game is dead forever.   okay that's understood and accepted for multiplayer games but for single player games it's despicable and repugnant.  If I buy a single player game, I want to keep it and play it whenever.  Heck I still have games that I bought (or were bought for me) in 1982-86 that still work and I still play from time to time.   online only single player games are simply not acceptable.

Solution: stop buying single player games that are online only. 

also

Fallout 2 is still the best fallout game ever

BotW was good but very empty and very boring

Smash bros is one of the most dull games on the Switch

indie games are 95% shovelware and 5% hidden gem

Souls games are tedious and simply not enjoyable to play

Mobile gaming is repugnant and rife with f2p garbage that pretends to be gameplay whilst doing nothing but bleeding the bank account of the unwary dry

that's enough for now before I get into trouble. lol

@m76

I have to disagree with your opinion on RDR2. I related to Arthur, and got so emotionally involved with him and his gang that I was broken hearted when I finished the game. It felt like I had lost someone that I loved. I doubted that I could ever play the game again, but I had to see them again so I did start up a new game. I don’t plan on going super far into it, because I want to be able to see them all whenever I need them. They’re like family to me. Maybe because my own family was so abusive to me. I don’t know, but I played that game with my heart, not my hands.