Register Now
Alyxx

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

32 minutes ago, Gamertotheend said:

oh dear, I'm a little scared of posting here as my unpopular opinions tend to be very very unpopular and I don't wish to be banned.  but here goes and in no order:-

1:-

Achievements/Trophies.  I feel these are one of the worst additions to gaming in decades for several reasons:  1st they are worthless and meaningless.  I mean whether you have 1 achievement or a million, it makes no difference.  2nd they actually set a bad mindset and instead of playing a game and exploring/discovering things themselves, they simply follow a 'checklist' of things to do set by the devs, hardly my idea of fun. (quite frankly one of the main reasons I bought a Nintendo Switch was because it does not have baked-in Achievements/trophies)

Solution:  If you must have achievements/trophies in games, give them a purpose, right now they are just pointless fluff.   So have it so you can "trade in" your gamerscore or your trophies for things like money off games.  Then there would be a reason to collect these silly things.

2:-

Modern devs think us gamers are morons - Why is it that in most if not all new games, whenever you come across an item you can use, it has a stupid glowing halo?  really devs, really?  Do you think we're too stupid to figure out what items we can and can't use?   and when climbing walls/cliffs.  The ones you can climb up have markings or paint to show us.  Again why??  it ruins the fun, discovering which areas you can climb up was good and you've taken that away from us now and it's all hand-holding and being lead by the nose.

Solution: just damnwell stop it!  We are not idiots, we can figure out where we can climb or what items we can pick up.  even if by trial and error.. just stop it!

3:-

Fps games have grown stale and boring.  I used to love FPS games, both online and single player but I've not bought one in a couple of years now because they've grown so stale and same-y.  If you've played one CoD game, you've pretty much played them all and that goes for the other games too.   The games seem to be getting simplified or dumbed down and it's just the same cookie cutter nonsense over and over.   Go back 10-15 years and you'll find shooters were (on average) vastly more enjoyable and challenging.

Solution: Study older games and stop doing the same old, same old crap just because it's the lazy option and people buy it regardless

4: Single player GAAS (Games as a Service) should be banned.  There is no valid reason why single player games can only be played if you are online.  That is an utter joke and a scam because when the servers are shut down, your game is dead forever.   okay that's understood and accepted for multiplayer games but for single player games it's despicable and repugnant.  If I buy a single player game, I want to keep it and play it whenever.  Heck I still have games that I bought (or were bought for me) in 1982-86 that still work and I still play from time to time.   online only single player games are simply not acceptable.

Solution: stop buying single player games that are online only. 

also

Fallout 2 is still the best fallout game ever

BotW was good but very empty and very boring

Smash bros is one of the most dull games on the Switch

indie games are 95% shovelware and 5% hidden gem

Souls games are tedious and simply not enjoyable to play

Mobile gaming is repugnant and rife with f2p garbage that pretends to be gameplay whilst doing nothing but bleeding the bank account of the unwary dry

that's enough for now before I get into trouble. lol

I'm surprised you where worried, I agree with pretty much all of that!

2 hours ago, m76 said:

This topic needs revival.

I'll start off with one of my unpopular opinions, I have plenty.

Rockstar games can't write likeable, relatable characters. All of their characters are miserable self loathing burlap sacks of turds that are impossible to like or identify with. In GTAIV, GTAV, RDR2, all of their recent games. But the older titles weren't much better either, the only difference is that those games were less character heavy so I didn't care that much either way.

I'm not sure if any of the characters in GTA especially are really meant to be likeable. I mean come on, they are for most part killers, obnoxious celebrities, career criminals or worst of all... Roman Bellic.

Edited by Crazycrab

2 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I'm not sure if any of the characters in GTA especially are really meant to be likeable. I mean come on, they are for most part killers, obnoxious celebrities, career criminals or worst of all... Roman Bellic.

It's Niko Bellic Roman was his brother an NPC, and of all the bad characters rockstar has, imo he's the least bad.

I need to be able to identify with the player characters goals to want to play a game. If the character constantly does and says things I find objectionable I get frustrated and the result is an unenjoyable experience.

49 minutes ago, m76 said:

It's Niko Bellic Roman was his brother an NPC, and of all the bad characters rockstar has, imo he's the least bad.

I need to be able to identify with the player characters goals to want to play a game. If the character constantly does and says things I find objectionable I get frustrated and the result is an unenjoyable experience.

I know who Roman is I thought he was annoying as fuck!

Edited by Crazycrab

21 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I know who Roman is I thought he was annoying as fuck!

Yeah but he wasn't a playable character, I was specifically talking about their player controlled characters. I don't expect every NPC to be likeable, that's not the point, but I need to like or at least understand the protagonist's goals and motivations.

So here is another unpopular opinion: Titanfall 2 is a vastly overrated mediocre game at best. For some reason I wasn't convinced that it was actually as good as most people make it out to be, so I put off playing it until it wsa like $5. Man was I glad I didn't pay more for it. Didn't even finish it. It's derivative, the maps are claustrophobic and linear, with lots of backtracking, the main character is extremely two dimensional and cliched. I really don't get what made it so well received and praised.  The only things that I found better than average in it was the graphics, and maybe the controls, but those alone won't make it a great game for me. 

Edited by m76

I have to complain about one that's probably the holy grail of gaming to a lot of people here.

Skyrim.

The game has amazing graphics. There's no denying that. But the controls flat out suck. Using two joysticks to control the character is bullshit. You should be able to point them where you want to go without having to turn them to bullshit angles with one and move them with the other. that's about as realistic as the god damn tooth faerie. It ruined the game for me almost immediately. I haven't touched it in months. RDR2 has the same control setup and I can't stand it either even though I love the game. A slight mistake on whether you're looking at your feet or enemy, and you're dead. It's complete bullshit as I already said. Make a game with controls that make fucking sense. It's not that god damn hard.

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Make a game with controls that make fucking sense. It's not that god damn hard.

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion.

But here is one: If you play skyrim with sticks you are doing it wrong, I can't even imagine playing that game with anything but a mouse and a keyboard.  Or anything else for that matter. The console controller is a good for nothing compromise for couch potatoes. You can play any game on a controller, but none of them very well. For shooters and strategy games: mouse and keyboard. For driving games: A proper wheel setup. For flying a normal stick, not two oversized nipples you have to tweak with your thumbs.

11 minutes ago, m76 said:

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion.

But here is one: If you play skyrim with sticks you are doing it wrong, I can't even imagine playing that game with anything but a mouse and a keyboard.  Or anything else for that matter. The console controller is a good for nothing compromise for couch potatoes. You can play any game on a controller, but none of them very well. For shooters and strategy games: mouse and keyboard. For driving games: A proper wheel setup. For flying a normal stick, not two oversized nipples you have to tweak with your thumbs.

Your talking crap.  I play Skyrim on PC with a controller and using the console all the time with no issues.  I hate using the keyboard because your character only has two speeds, barely move or full sprint which us really annoying when you stealth builds which is what I tend to do.

24 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Your talking crap.  I play Skyrim on PC with a controller and using the console all the time with no issues.  I hate using the keyboard because your character only has two speeds, barely move or full sprint which us really annoying when you stealth builds which is what I tend to do.

There is no need to devolve into turd flinging. Hint "unpopular opinions" is the topic title. So it's inevitable you'll disagree with some. Don't tell me this is your first time 😛

Besides that's the only complaint controller fans can ever bring up: walking speeds, it's not like I haven't heard that a billion times. I'll not compromise everything else to be able to walk half speed. If a game needs you to walk faster than the walk mode and slower than run mode for stealth it's simply badly designed.

31 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Gaming on PC for the most part is a waste. Games play better in my eyes on the consoles they're made for. I'm going to assume that next you're going to tell me that I should get all my NES and SNES games switched to emulators and quit playing them on consoles, right?

I'm not telling you to do anything. But I'd play every console game on PC if I could. I only own consoles because some games are not available elsewhere, but I loath console style controls. That is my stance, you don't have to agree with it, but you have to respect that other people will have differing opinions, especially in a topic titled "unpopular opinions"

26 minutes ago, m76 said:

There is no need to devolve into turd flinging. Hint "unpopular opinions" is the topic title. So it's inevitable you'll disagree with some. Don't tell me this is your first time 😛

Besides that's the only complaint controller fans can ever bring up: walking speeds, it's not like I haven't heard that a billion times. I'll not compromise everything else to be able to walk half speed. If a game needs you to walk faster than the walk mode and slower than run mode for stealth it's simply badly designed.

You mean my first time dealing with an obnoxious fanboy and their utter nonsense... No, I'm a veteran!

That's not an issue with bad design, that's just just somthing you can't do with a fucking keyboard!  Does the fact that you can't take the kids to school in Lewis Hamilton's F1 Mercedes mean it's a bad design?  No of course not, It's a little thing called fit for purpose.  I also would not use a controller for an RTS game live Total War or Command and Conquer because that is not fit for that purpose.

I know you'll just simply refuse to admit because that's what all fanbus do but having full control of the direction of both the speed and direction of your character's lateral movement is important for stealth mechanics.  It's not important in something like say Borderland where you run, strafe, duck and gun so for I that i prefer mouse and keyboard.

At the end of the day however….  NONE of this shit really matters.  I’m not going to look down on someone who prefers to play borderland with a controller saying “A mouse is more precise you know”.  Nor am I going to prick at someone who is using a mouse and Keyboard to play Assassin’s Creed saying “You know you could sneak around better if you were using a thumbstick” because it’s not my business or concern.   They bought their fucking game so they can enjoying using whatever the fuck they want, that’s why on both console and PC in particular we have options  So it’s not an “unpopular Opinion” It’s just ri-god-damn-diculous.