Register Now
Alyxx

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

9 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

You mean my first time dealing with an obnoxious fanboy and their utter nonsense... No, I'm a veteran!

Yet, you are hell bent on proving that someone else has a "wrong" opinion. Sorry, but there are no wrong opinions only different opinions. So it seems to me you are very much an amateur in this. You'd better start accepting the fact that other people hold different views, because they had different life experiences, and that doesn't make them wrong. If you honestly think they are missing something, you give them information, because uttering things like "crap, nonsense, name calling, etc." gives zero information, and only serves one purpose: To antagonize people.  But if that is your goal, I'm sorry I said anything, I'll learn from my mistake and try to avoid talking to you.

In case it wasn't clear enough in my original post I used "You are doing it wrong" sarcastically. I didn't expect anyone to change the way they play games on my say so.

9 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

That's not an issue with bad design, that's just just somthing you can't do with a fucking keyboard!  Does the fact that you can't take the kids to school in Lewis Hamilton's F1 Mercedes mean it's a bad design?  No of course not, It's a little thing called fit for purpose.  I also would not use a controller for an RTS game live Total War or Command and Conquer because that is not fit for that purpose.

A formula1 car is made for racing, it does not need to serve any other purpose. An action game released for PC however, must be designed in Keyboard and Mouse  controls in mind, since those are the de-facto standard controls on the platform.  Designing a game for PC that can only be properly played with a console controller is therefore bad design.

1 hour ago, m76 said:

Yet, you are hell bent on proving that someone else has a "wrong" opinion. Sorry, but there are no wrong opinions only different opinions. So it seems to me you are very much an amateur in this. You'd better start accepting the fact that other people hold different views, because they had different life experiences, and that doesn't make them wrong. If you honestly think they are missing something, you give them information, because uttering things like "crap, nonsense, name calling, etc." gives zero information, and only serves one purpose: To antagonize people.  But if that is your goal, I'm sorry I said anything, I'll learn from my mistake and try to avoid talking to you.

In case it wasn't clear enough in my original post I used "You are doing it wrong" sarcastically. I didn't expect anyone to change the way they play games on my say so.

A formula1 car is made for racing, it does not need to serve any other purpose. An action game released for PC however, must be designed in Keyboard and Mouse  controls in mind, since those are the de-facto standard controls on the platform.  Designing a game for PC that can only be properly played with a console controller is therefore bad design.

Whilst I wouldn't agree with @Crazycrab's brazen way if expressing them, I do actually agree with with his points. I almost never use M/K for game control on PC, with the exception of strategy games, some MMO's and some top-down RPG's. I don't even like using M/K for shooters despite the higher accuracy potential, it just doesn't feel as fun to play for me. I just feel more of a connection to a game holding a controller in my hand. Yes, I'm not as competitive that way, but I get round that problem buy not playing competitive FPS games on PC, only on console where I know it's a level playing field. Simple.

The fundamental difference between a game controller the M/K concept is that one was created specifically to control a video game, the other one wasn't. M/K has come a long way, but hasn't fundementally changed. That is why M/K douse base problems with certain games and gameplay mechanics, like stealth a @Crazycrabsaid. It's that way because it still has to serve its original intended purpose. As for game controller ms? They have evolved a lot. We aren't playing with Atari Joysticks anymore, that's for sure. Controllers have become almost unrecognisable from what they used to be and are far more sophisticated and advanced, and have gone though this evolution at each step to improve one's connection to the game. That's just my own little theory as why I personally just enjoy a a controller alot more that a M/K.

Not that M/K doesn't have its advantages as well. It's precise and offers you're hands and arms more rest as you play. As I said, the it's best way to play games where you manage as opposed to taking direct control, like RTS. It's also great for MOBA's and certain MMO's that uses a large array of control options. For any game that requires any even a remotely substantial amount of typing, a controller is a pain the ass, so there's that to.

However, in the end, it's not about one being better than the other, it's about how each individual feels is better for themselves to control and connect to the game. Now @m76, I'm gonna be honest with, you I do believe you look down on people for using a controller on PC, and that's not fair. It doesn't affect you how another person plays Skyrim or whatever is on PC. You prefer M/K, not a problem, and this evening I'll probably be playing my modded version if Fallout 4 with a controller and I'm sure we'll both sleep just fine.

One last thing to all of you, keep it civil. That is all.

Edited by Shagger

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

I do actually agree with with his points

You agree with the popular opinion as opposed to the unpopular one, which is the topic at hand. Hardly surprising isn't it?  Just  because you two agree doesn't make your opinion more valid than mine. Everyone's opinion is perfectly well adjusted to their own circumstances.  I find it ridiculous that I have to explain this, but here is why I hate controllers:

I grew up in a relatively poor (compared to the west) eastern bloc country, where gaming was a luxury only upper middle class families could afford, and videogame consoles, were only affordable to the 1% rich. The price of a single game was equivalent to one month's salary for the average working class person. Not the console's price, the price of one single game!

My family wasn't poor by local standards, but console gaming was still far out of reach for me. Therefore the first time I held a console controller in my hand was at 18 years old. And I was already working my first full time job at 24 when I first owned a console. Therefore I never got used to the controller, I can't play effectively with it, it's a struggle, and after finishing many games with it out of necessity it's not for a lack of trying.I'm not going to get any better with it. That's why I want to play every game with a mouse and keyboard instead. Does that make me wrong? No, my stance is perfectly reasonable  for my situation.

I'm sorry if it felt that I was looking down on those who play with with controllers, that's not my intention. If anything I'm jealous that you can enjoy games with it. I cannot.

Edited by m76

6 minutes ago, m76 said:

You agree with the popular opinion as opposed to the unpopular one, which is the topic at hand. Hardly surprising isn't it?  Just  because you two agree doesn't make your opinion more valid than mine. Everyone's opinion is perfectly well adjusted to their own circumstances.  I find it ridiculous that I have to explain this, but here is why I hate controllers:

I grew up in a relatively poor (compared to the west) eastern bloc country, where gaming was a luxury only upper middle class families could afford, and videogame consoles, were only affordable to the 1% rich. The price of a single game was equivalent to one month's salary for the average working class person. Not the console's price, the price of one single game!

My family wasn't poor by local standards, but console gaming was still far out of reach for me. Therefore the first time I held a console controller in my hand was at 18 years old. And I was already working my first full time job at 24 when I first owned a console. Therefore I never got used to the controller, I can't play effectively with it, it's a struggle, and after finishing many games with it out of necessity it's not for a lack of trying.I'm not going to get any better with it. That's why I want to play every game with a mouse and keyboard instead. Does that make me wrong? No, my stance is perfectly reasonable  for my situation.

I'm sorry if it felt that I was looking down on those who play with with controllers, that's not my intention. If anything I'm jealous that you can enjoy games with it. I cannot.

My sympathies, that must have been rough.

I completely understand why you feel that what you do, but nobody was saying your opinion was any less valid. I'm not attaking you, but what you have to have understand is they way yiu phrased the point was "If you play skyrim with sticks you are doing it wrong", and that doesn't really mean the same thing as "I'm far more used to and comfortable with a M/K, so l would just feel wrong to play Skyrim with a controller". That's not even an unpopular opinion, in fact it's not really an opinion at all. It's a personal preference, and you're right to own it, just like anyone who chooses to play these kinds of games with a controller.

On a fourm, it's about saying what you really mean as well as knowing what you really mean, otherwise people are inevitably going to misinterpret you. Please try and think a little bit more about how you phrase your views.

And @Crazycrab, if you please, be a little less aggressive with your responses in future.

One problem that we all face at a forum, is that we're reading text, and can't hear the tone of voice when a person says something. It may look like an attack when they're making a sarcastic joke. @Crazycrab and @Shagger are brothers. Say one of them called the other an asshole for liking >insert game title< in a joking manner. Or just said only assholes liked that game as a poke at his brother. Now say you are a huge fan of the game. You wouldn't be able to tell if he was saying the only ones in the world who like the game are assholes, or if it was a joke between brothers. Is he just calling his brother an asshole as a joke? Is he saying all fans of said game are assholes? Without hearing a tone of voice, all we have to go on is emotionless text. It's a part of the reason I skip some of the topics on this forum. But this topic is meant to be fairly abrasive.

Now I'm not a mod, and I'm not trying to do a job that isn't mine, but I would like to suggest that people check their sensitivities at the door when clicking on this thread. But that's just my opinion, which may be an unpopular one.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

One problem that we all face at a forum, is that we're reading text, and can't hear the tone of voice when a person says something. It may look like an attack when they're making a sarcastic joke. @Crazycrab and @Shagger are brothers. Say one of them called the other an asshole for liking >insert game title< in a joking manner. Or just said only assholes liked that game as a poke at his brother. Now say you are a huge fan of the game. You wouldn't be able to tell if he was saying the only ones in the world who like the game are assholes, or if it was a joke between brothers. Is he just calling his brother an asshole as a joke? Is he saying all fans of said game are assholes? Without hearing a tone of voice, all we have to go on is emotionless text. It's a part of the reason I skip some of the topics on this forum. But this topic is meant to be fairly abrasive.

Now I'm not a mod, and I'm not trying to do a job that isn't mine, but I would like to suggest that people check their sensitivities at the door when clicking on this thread. But that's just my opinion, which may be an unpopular one.

So right back on topic 😃

And I do call @Crazycraban asshole all the time, not because it's brothers in jest, it's mostly because he just is one 😛.

To this point, though. You're right, people shouldn't take things to heart, but that's not an excuse to be rude or disrespectful either. Honestly, it just takes a bit of common sense from both sides to avoid going to far. 

Edited by Shagger

Many folks loved it, but I really didn't like Remedy's Control. Thought it was a really big disappointment. So bland, boring and laborious. Felt a pain to play. Even wrote about it a few times. 

https://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/control-review/

https://thedeadbeatcritics.com/2019/10/12/control-sure-is-pretty-but-its-also-incredibly-boring-and-tedious/

Fortnite gets far more hate than it deserves because kids like it (It's free, has collectables, and online, why wouldn't they?), it's popular for people to stream, and winning is as much luck as skill. And for that, it's crucified and made the butt of so many jokes. I fail to see hoe it spawns this much vitriol.

2 hours ago, KuroInDistress said:

I remember when Final Fantasy 12 released initially it wasn't doing too hot (Although it is now considered a great game), and I loved it at the time.

I remember a lot of people complaining about it at the time and I didn't understand why.  More mature story, vastly improved dialogue and interesting new mechanics like the gambit system.  It had some issues but the new release if the Zodiac version has fixed most of those.

2 hours ago, KuroInDistress said:

I remember when Final Fantasy 12 released initially it wasn't doing too hot (Although it is now considered a great game), and I loved it at the time.

8 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

I remember a lot of people complaining about it at the time and I didn't understand why.  More mature story, vastly improved dialogue and interesting new mechanics like the gambit system.  It had some issues but the new release if the Zodiac version has fixed most of those.

I think it was mostly people upset that the turn based combat had gone and been replaced by something very, lt's say, "western". I wasn't one of them, actually liked the combat and it had the best narrative of any Final Fantasy game I had ever played had ever played, but the levelling system was a shitshow. The Zodiac Version did indeed fix that, though.

Edited by Shagger

Anyway, time for my little contribution. The kind of "difficulty" that Souls games offer isn't legit at all. It's just a tedious, cryptic, waste of time built around trail and error. It's just try then die until you figure out what kind nonsensical solution that the fussy game wants you to do.  This means the games aren't even challenging, all you need to beat them is time. No skill, no strategy and success proves nothing, yet the fanbase still feels they have the right express that legendary arrogance they hold so dear.

6 hours ago, Shagger said:

I think it was mostly people upset that the turn based combat had gone and been replaced by something very, lt's say, "western". I wasn't one of them, actually liked the combat and it had the best narrative of any Final Fantasy game I had ever played had ever played, but the levelling system was a shitshow. The Zodiac Version did indeed fix that, though.

Agreed, it was one of the best Final fantasy stories to date